mptreb
mptreb New Reader
6/27/15 12:25 p.m.

MGB intake/exhaust manifold retaining. Not concentric steps -- with a thicker area near the center -- but left/right steps, with one half of the washer 1/8" thicker than the other.

I recently replaced the exhaust system with a stainless steel one from Moss. The flange on the header is thinner than the old one. That wouldn't be a problem, but for the fact that it's a non-crossflow head, and the same studs/nuts retain both inlet and exhaust manifolds.

So I got a small strip of 1/8" x 1/2" stainless from McMaster Carr, and put small spacers on the 4 exhaust flanges that share a stud/nut with the intake manifold.

I would rather have a washer, though -- the only thing retaining these spacers is tension, and I worry that some combination of heat and vibration might allow one to come loose.

So do washers like this exist -- and if so, what are they called?

I have no machine shop, so I can't make these myself.

I would be looking for a washer for a 5/16 stud, about 1/4 thick on one side and 3/8 on the other.

Thanks for the help. Matt

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/27/15 12:28 p.m.

Bevel washers? They are malleable iron for use on I-beams.

mptreb
mptreb New Reader
6/27/15 12:31 p.m.

Googling "bevel washers", it looks like those are wedge shaped. What I am looking for would have a step between two different thicknesses.

This pic is from a guy on one of the MG boards who has made himself a set.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
6/27/15 1:28 p.m.

I think you need to make those yourself. Any of the OE stuff I've seen like that is generally flat. Its the aftermarket or mismatched manifolds that screws it up.

Find some 3/8" steel and a good quality 1" or so holesaw- whatever gives you the correct diameter. Grind, file, drill...

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
6/27/15 2:11 p.m.

I've made spacers from 1/8" mild steel for that very purpose. Never had one fall out. I suppose you could tack weld the spacer to the original washer?

erohslc
erohslc Dork
6/27/15 2:14 p.m.

Take your SS spacers and weld/braze them to the full washers.
If the stainless is incompatible with washers, them just make a set out of mild steel.
Or take thin washers, cut in half, and then weld/braze to to full washers.

Or take full thick washers, and grind/file away one half as needed.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
6/27/15 2:17 p.m.

Probably easiest is to get some 1/8" thick fender washers, cut them in half then tack weld them to the grip side of the original washers.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltraDork
6/27/15 3:19 p.m.

The samples you show can be made with an angle grinder. If the tool arsenal is low, a hacksaw and a file will get the job done.

I have made them in the past for MGB WEBER DGV conversions. I used a MIG welder and a piece of scrap steel.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qnfIGixoNWJmvZc7VFhxWhgXYM3iNqlOvWoWpoMXbFPML8knoUYHYy914B5UdTCA