1 2
John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/24/24 8:14 p.m.

The early Hyundai Genesis sedan is sooo much vehicle for the money, if you can find one.  

Sample: '11 W/ 78k @ $9.9k from dealer

Another: '12 w/75k @ $9.5k

Have your dealer friend see if he can source one.  I'm sure wholesale is even cheaper than these retails for this completely unknown model.  Speaking of unknown, in these years the car is known as the Hyundai Genesis Sedan.  This was before Genesis was a free standing brand.  

They also offered a V8 version

PS: these are rwd!  

NorthernCTR
NorthernCTR New Reader
2/25/24 12:19 a.m.

Does this have the 3.5L Toyota V6 that everything of the era had? Family member of mine has one with 340,000 km, purchased at 265,000km. They've had to do literally nothing mechanical to it. We are pretty sure its on the original fill transmission fluid and spark plugs too. 

CyberEric
CyberEric SuperDork
2/25/24 12:42 p.m.

Yes, I believe they do have the 3.5. 

My family has an '08 RAV4 with the 3.5 and I can confirm it's nutty how little attention it needs. Good power too.

stroker
stroker PowerDork
2/25/24 6:58 p.m.

You guys are looking WAY higher quality than I am...  I'm thinking more like these...

Copart Avalon local

Copart Scion xB local

Gonna try and go look at them on Tuesday morning, which is the day of the auction.  The xB has a buy it now of $1850...

Turns out my "dealer" friend is able to buy at Copart but does NOT have a traditional Dealer's license.  My mistake.

stroker
stroker PowerDork
2/25/24 7:45 p.m.
John Welsh said:

The early Hyundai Genesis sedan is sooo much vehicle for the money, if you can find one.  

Sample: '11 W/ 78k @ $9.9k from dealer

Another: '12 w/75k @ $9.5k

Have your dealer friend see if he can source one.  I'm sure wholesale is even cheaper than these retails for this completely unknown model.  Speaking of unknown, in these years the car is known as the Hyundai Genesis Sedan.  This was before Genesis was a free standing brand.  

They also offered a V8 version

PS: these are rwd!  

Okay, so what's wrong with this one that I'm not seeing...?

Gawd, I wish they didn't have all that digital crap in them...

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/25/24 8:06 p.m.

In reply to stroker :

I looked at what else the seller is selling.  My guess is Mr Puerto Rico Apartment Dweller works at a body shop or cheapo used car lot.  Thirty six weeks ago, he had the same car listed w/ 90k miles for $7,500 and in that ad it says rebuilt title.   Since the last week of June 2023 he has put another 15k miles on the car, up to 105k.  That is probably a good thing that he's genuinely driving the car.  However, trying (and poorly doing) a parking lot burn out is not how I hope he is treating the car repeatedly.  

Rebuilt and ragged on might not make it the best example.  However his inability to sell the car for 6 months doesn't surprise me.  As I mentioned, no one knows of these cars and no one goes shopping for one.  

You don't just buy the car, you also buy the previous owner.  This is not the owner that I want to follow.  

The pictures are few but of that few, what are these trying to show?  Previous damage repair?  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/25/24 9:09 p.m.
stroker said:

You guys are looking WAY higher quality than I am...  I'm thinking more like these...

Copart Avalon local

Copart Scion xB local

Gonna try and go look at them on Tuesday morning, which is the day of the auction.  The xB has a buy it now of $1850...

Turns out my "dealer" friend is able to buy at Copart but does NOT have a traditional Dealer's license.  My mistake.

I don't know for Copart because I do not have an account but over at IAA (where I do have and account) the $1,850 buy now would equal $2,514 with fees.  I'm not saying Copart is the exact same fee structure but I'll bet it is close.  

For Toyota and Scions you can set up a free account for Toyota owners (even w/o owning a Toyota) and download all the dealer service records for those specific cars, by entering the vin.  https://www.toyota.com/owners/
By default, the Scion records are now done through the Toyota site.  Lexus will also give the same info from their site for that brand.  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/25/24 9:45 p.m.

A St. Louis xB @ $2,500 that needs a bumper cover.  Actually says it needs a bumper cover and a tune up.  I'd want to know more about "tune-up" and make sure that is not code for "cracked block" or more.  

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/26/24 1:39 p.m.

I feel like I'm 100% invisible here. 

stroker
stroker PowerDork
2/26/24 3:06 p.m.
bobzilla said:

I feel like I'm 100% invisible here. 

Have no fear, I'm checking for Cadenzas.  :)  So far they're not quite in my price range in the non-rust belt...

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
2/27/24 10:08 a.m.

Since it is hard tracking maintenance records on cars this old, I'd avoid any of the Toyotas with the 3.0 V6 and the 4 speed automatic.  They aren't terrible, but they don't respond to neglect as well as the newer models.

stroker
stroker PowerDork
2/28/24 7:18 p.m.
John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/28/24 8:22 p.m.
stroker said:

Marketplace - 2009 Mercury Grand Marquis · LS Sedan 4D | Facebook
Looks like a good one.  As beige as you might expect.  You know what you get with one of these. 

Marketplace - 2003 Buick LeSabre · Custom Sedan 4D | Facebook
Completely avoid that one.  All I see is neglect.  

Marketplace - 2007 Ford Crown Victoria · LX Sedan 4D | Facebook
If all is the same, I'd take the Grand Maquis over an old cop car.  

Marketplace - 2009 Ford Taurus · Limited Sedan 4D | Facebook
This looks like a nice sample.  Limited will mean climate control "set it and forget it" type HVAC which is nice.  Heated seats too...maybe cooled.  These things are huge.  Notice the shifter is likely the same shifter as a Fusion but then notice that the cup holders are next to the shifter also.  In the Fusion the cup holders are likely behind the shifter because it is not wide enough to put them next to the shifter.  Mega-size rear seat.  These will make the Panther chassis feel tight in the back seat.  

Marketplace - 2007 Mercury Montego · Premier Sedan 4D | Facebook
A completely unknown car.  Its been listed for 2 weeks.  No one goes looking for one of these.  At $4.8k it is already the cheapest but i'll bet there is room to move. At 98k it is the lowest of the group.  On the trunk it is wearing the Premier badge so trim should be similar to Taurus Limited.  Being a 2007 it has a 3.0L but it is a 6 speed auto, not cvt.   The following year they went to 3.5L (the Taurus above is 3.5L)  MPG between the two is not noticeable different.  

Marketplace - 2006 Toyota Avalon · XLS Sedan 4D | Facebook
The ad starts with saying, "the car is not perfect" but at $7.5k it is priced like it is perfect.  The driver's seat is unusually rough for only 114k.  

Marketplace - 2011 Kia Optima · EX Sedan 4D | Facebook
I'm cautious on used Kia.Hyundai due to the Kia Boyz theft thing.  I hear that insurance on these models have risen and that the rise is not really indicative if you have a model w/o and imobilizer or not.  

?

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/29/24 10:38 a.m.

Buy a 2GR Toyota. Best refrigerator engine of all time. 

stroker
stroker PowerDork
2/29/24 11:47 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Man, I'd forgotten all about that Kia theft problem.  Thanks for the comments!

Isn't the 2007 Montego basically a 2007 Five Hundred with a different badge?

prodarwin
prodarwin MegaDork
2/29/24 1:23 p.m.

My Kia insurance is still cheap.  But nobody seems to want to steal it :(

stroker
stroker PowerDork
2/29/24 7:33 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

How about this?  I have a feeling that's going to sell fast.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/29/24 8:22 p.m.

In reply to stroker :

Oh...it's a V8!

Probably won't sell fast, it's already been listed for 16 days.  Reads like the seller is a genuine private seller!

I think the sticker says $45k!

stroker
stroker PowerDork
3/2/24 5:58 p.m.
John Welsh said:

In reply to stroker :

Oh...it's a V8!

Probably won't sell fast, it's already been listed for 16 days.  Reads like the seller is a genuine private seller!

John, what's your take on THIS?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/2/24 7:31 p.m.

I looked around for K900s when I posted the early Genesis.  I didn't see any near you (and I'm not sure this one is very near to you either.) Tons of car for the money.  While the Genesis was not a big seller, the Kia version of the car was even a less seller.  Grille wise, the Genesis tried to mimic other brands and if you removed the logos people would guess all sorts of makes/models.  The Kia however was given a Kia Forte-esque grille.  Not all bad and I still think with barges removed that people would guess all sorts of makes/models but rarely ever guess KIa/Hyundai.

I'm just not sure how this rare-ness will translate to long term parts availability and DIY knowledge.  But, its a cool car.  I also think this 2015 Kia is the 5.0L V8, not the earlier 4.6L V8.  I don't know anything about the reliability of the two engines or if one is the right choice over the other, but... I do know that 5.0L is MORE than the 4.6L and more-er has to be good-er!  

Funny thing about these Korean cars of this era.  The quality of the cars improved with every generation.  And, not just a little improvement but like major leap-frog improvement over a previous generation.  I guess that leads me to say, buy the newest design you can afford.  It will certainly be a better car over a previous generation. 

Another thing I think we should address.  In some posts I am recommending Kia/Hyundai and in other posts I am cautioning rising insurance.  However, I think these insurance increases are model specific, not a brand generality.  Lots of low spec Kia Souls were stolen that did not have immobilizers.  I think the higher spec Kia Souls had immoiblizers but my statements are that ALL KIA SOULs, regardless of trim level are likely to see a rate increase.  When it comes to these top range models, they were not caught up in the theft racket and are likely not seeing the increase.  

If you really want to go top end... the forgetable and indistiquishable spelling/pronunciation of the Hyundai Equus!  

Here's a link to a long term C&D review of the K900.  Comparison to a Lincoln Town Car comes up often.  Quiet, peaceful, but floaty.  Not sport sedan-like.  Loved for long interstate highway trips.  Not chosen for windy road trips.  

prodarwin
prodarwin MegaDork
3/2/24 8:07 p.m.
stroker said:
John Welsh said:

In reply to stroker :

Oh...it's a V8!

John, what's your take on THIS?

Yikes.  You really have to try to make your pictures that bad.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MSSqbO8Kv9wwnfN3cY6IYQzw7FbDL5qwH96V6KmwBkVj2MMe5sPnNBCIOuqC2dB0