1 2 3
Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/16/21 2:08 p.m.

I also wish for a 16" option, since that is what I run on my MINI.  But one of the 225 or 245 17" options should work. At least for track or STX use, and I can keep the 16" wheels for street driving. 

Matt B (fs)
Matt B (fs) UltraDork
4/16/21 2:13 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

In reply to Matt B (fs) :

Just curious, what tire is your team running now?

Federal 595 in a 225/45 17 running on a E36 328.  I'd say we give up some cornering speed for durability and cost.  We only use 6 tires per event and get all of them mounted for $430 at a local tire shop. That also keeps us out of the paddock to change wheels.

I'd be willing to spend more per tire for something more competitive, but that's also meant using a lot more than 6 per event.  We're kind of a mid-pack team looking to have fun and keep it shiny side up so spending the extra money hasn't made sense yet.  That said, it's cool to see a company target our corner of the motorsports world. I'll definitely be interested to see what the verdict is on the new stuff.

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/16/21 6:23 p.m.

Just curious, have you ran the RS-4 and how did they compare to the federals cost, performance and wear?

I'm also in the wish there were 16" options but I'm surprised to hear so many other saying the same thing, I thought I was the only one! At some point I'll get a set of 17 x 8 or 9 inch wheels to open up my tire options, for now there is still enough options to choose from though.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/16/21 7:09 p.m.
Matt B (fs) said:
David S. Wallens said:

Just curious, what tire is your team running now?

Federal 595 in a 225/45 17 running on a E36 328.  I'd say we give up some cornering speed for durability and cost.  We only use 6 tires per event and get all of them mounted for $430 at a local tire shop. That also keeps us out of the paddock to change wheels.

I'd be willing to spend more per tire for something more competitive, but that's also meant using a lot more than 6 per event.  We're kind of a mid-pack team looking to have fun and keep it shiny side up so spending the extra money hasn't made sense yet.  That said, it's cool to see a company target our corner of the motorsports world. I'll definitely be interested to see what the verdict is on the new stuff.

That's a lot of tire for 1 event.  I am on the same set of rs4 for the last 3 races.

I would be checking tire temps and finding out how to make the tires last longer.

Typically a higher treadwear tire will wear much quicker than a tire designed for motorsports.

I would definitely be going to a 245 or 255 on a 10 inch wheel and you will see greater tire life and more grip.  The investment will pay for itself in 1 season.

rslifkin
rslifkin UberDork
4/19/21 7:38 a.m.
Will said:

Sure wish wider/taller fitments in 17" were still a thing.

More 45 series sidewalls in performance tires for larger wheels would be nice.  I find myself limited in choices for the E38, even with 18s on it, just because it needs a ~27" tall tire, and that's "too big" for some of the performance tires without going to bigger wheels to use a size for a modern S6 or something like that. 

Matt B (fs)
Matt B (fs) UltraDork
4/19/21 3:06 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

You have a good point. There's a lot more we could do to manage tire wear. It's not an area we've put really any effort into besides making sure our alignment is entirely funky.  We have a track day coming up and I'll use it as test session.  The wider wheels is an interesting idea.  Right now we're using E36 M3 and E46 stock rims because I could find them, well... cheap.

That said, the guys running Azenis and such have reported back using more than 2 sets I mentioned before. For context, these tend to be A-class cars running at CMP before they repaved it.  That surface chewed up tires like crazy.  What else is crazy is you got a single set to last multiple races so you must be doing something right.  What car, tire size, and track(s) are you running?

Oh yeah - we haven't tried the RS4 yet, but you make a compelling case.

rslifkin
rslifkin UberDork
4/19/21 3:08 p.m.

If stepping up to 18s is an option, you've got a few choices for 18x9.5 factory BMW wheels that aren't too hard to find at a reasonable price, especially if you don't mind them being a bit beat up looking. 

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
4/19/21 10:14 p.m.

We also run the RS4 on multiple cars and always get at least 2 races if nothing goes wrong to wreck the alignment, on cars that are top 10 contenders.  They are great for this sort of thing.  

wvumtnbkr
4/20/21 5:48 a.m.
Matt B (fs) said:

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

You have a good point. There's a lot more we could do to manage tire wear. It's not an area we've put really any effort into besides making sure our alignment is entirely funky.  We have a track day coming up and I'll use it as test session.  The wider wheels is an interesting idea.  Right now we're using E36 M3 and E46 stock rims because I could find them, well... cheap.

That said, the guys running Azenis and such have reported back using more than 2 sets I mentioned before. For context, these tend to be A-class cars running at CMP before they repaved it.  That surface chewed up tires like crazy.  What else is crazy is you got a single set to last multiple races so you must be doing something right.  What car, tire size, and track(s) are you running?

Oh yeah - we haven't tried the RS4 yet, but you make a compelling case.

Gm 3500 powered 89 Mazda rx7.  245 40 15 on 15 x 10 wheels.

We lose grip with the rs4 before we wear them out.  They seem to only like about 3 or 4 days of racing before they start to lose a second a lap.  (Still faster than a lot of other tires!)

Matt B (fs)
Matt B (fs) UltraDork
4/20/21 1:35 p.m.
They seem to only like about 3 or 4 days of racing before they start to lose a second a lap. 

I could deal with that. lol

Thanks for everyone's suggestions and eyeballs on this. After our current set is toast we'll definitely be moving to the RS4 or maybe this new Conti depending on the consensus.

In reply to rslifkinI'll definitely keep an eye out for the factory 18x9.5. They weren't really on my radar either.

As always, you guys are awesome.

rslifkin
rslifkin UberDork
4/20/21 1:45 p.m.

Now that you confirm the 18x9.5 is an option size-wise, look for either E39 M5 rear wheels or rear M parallels from an E38 7 series or E31 8 series.  Both of the above wheels are 18x9.5.  The M5 wheels are +22mm offset, the E38 wheels are +25mm.  Avoid the rear M parallels from an E34 or E39, as they're only 18x9 (+22 and +24 offset for each model) and the E39 ones have a 74.1mm center bore instead of 72.6mm.  The M parallels are forged, so pretty strong and 23.2 lbs each for the 18x9.5 version.  Oddly, the M5 wheels are heavier (26.2 lbs for the 18x9.5) and I'm not sure if they're forged or not. 

Thinking about it, offset could be a problem on an E36 unless you hack the crap out of the fenders.  I don't know if BMW made anything that wide in a higher offset, unfortunately. 

Matt B (fs)
Matt B (fs) UltraDork
4/20/21 4:00 p.m.

In reply to rslifkin :

Yeah those offsets are going to require quite a bit of "massaging" to work with an E36.  I'm going to keep my eye out for some affordable 18x9.5 rims, but at some point just splurging for a set of the Apex ARC-8 17x9.5 +35 may be worth it.  I've always wanted an excuse to buy some of those.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/20/21 4:44 p.m.

All I know is that if it had the grip of the A052 and wore like RS4 that they would've branded it as a Hoosier and named the tire "Daddy" 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/20/21 5:38 p.m.
rslifkin said:

Now that you confirm the 18x9.5 is an option size-wise, look for either E39 M5 rear wheels or rear M parallels from an E38 7 series or E31 8 series.  Both of the above wheels are 18x9.5.  The M5 wheels are +22mm offset, the E38 wheels are +25mm.  Avoid the rear M parallels from an E34 or E39, as they're only 18x9 (+22 and +24 offset for each model) and the E39 ones have a 74.1mm center bore instead of 72.6mm.  The M parallels are forged, so pretty strong and 23.2 lbs each for the 18x9.5 version.  Oddly, the M5 wheels are heavier (26.2 lbs for the 18x9.5) and I'm not sure if they're forged or not. 

Thinking about it, offset could be a problem on an E36 unless you hack the crap out of the fenders.  I don't know if BMW made anything that wide in a higher offset, unfortunately. 

E39 M5 rear wheels are unicorn teeth. If anyone finds a pair, let me know as I want them for my E39 M5 :) Lots of knockoffs of the fronts, but those rears are both rare and desirable which means super-expensive.

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf HalfDork
4/20/21 6:09 p.m.

"distribution, we’re told, handled by both Tire Rack and Hoosier Tire Distributors"

The Hoosier Tire Distributors part seems a bit unusual 

4/20/21 6:29 p.m.

In reply to L5wolvesf :

They have crew and haulers for race support weekends. The SCCA is starting an Enduro series. Sponsorship involvement is likely part of the equation and includes trackside support is my guess. 

freescopesdad
freescopesdad New Reader
4/22/21 7:26 a.m.

205/50/16 for my ND Miata please...smiley

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
6/1/21 2:15 p.m.

Good news, the ExtremeContact Force is now available from Tire Rack and Hoosier:

Fort Mill, S.C. – June 1, 2021. Continental Tire is thrilled to announce the all-new ExtremeContact™ Force, a summer ultra-high performance competition tire for both enthusiasts and professionals.

Ideal for endurance racing, this tire comes complete with SportPlus™ Technology, which provides responsive handling, better grip on wet roads, and extended tread life.

For racers who value consistent lap times and predictability on track in both dry and wet conditions, the ExtremeContact™ Force is an optimal tire for endurance race events and track days alike.

“We are very excited to launch the ExtremeContact Force,” said Travis Roffler, Director of Marketing, Continental Tire. “This is a tire that racers around the country have been asking to see from us and the feedback we’ve received about the tire thus far is just phenomenal. We’re thrilled that people are so excited about this new tire and we’re looking forward to seeing the results that people will see on track with the grip these tires have to offer.”

“After several years of collaboration between Hoosier and Continental engineers, we have come up with an endurance competition tire like no other,” added Jeff Speer, Circuit Product Manager for Hoosier Tire. “The combination of durability, safety and wet traction technology from Continental and the speed, agility, extreme grip, and driver confidence technology from Hoosier, makes a great pairing in a true ultra-high performance street and track competition tire.”

The ExtremeContact™ Force is available at Tire Rack and Hoosier distributors. Visit hoosiertire.com to find a dealer near you.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/1/21 2:48 p.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

Not on the Tire Rack website. frown

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/1/21 3:35 p.m.
Ian F (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Colin Wood :

Not on the Tire Rack website. frown

Call them? 

BTD
BTD Reader
6/2/21 6:42 p.m.

Looks like sizing and such released today: 

A bit narrower than the RT660 based on those numbers, but I still ordered a set despite the (insane) price as I'm expecting the Conti's to wear better, as they're aimed at the endurance racers. Hopefully we will see a GRM test on them soon!

GCrites80s
GCrites80s HalfDork
6/3/21 10:07 a.m.

If you buy them in Indiana do they say Hoosier on them? Sounds like a joke, but I bought a car in Indiana that had Hoosier pure street tires (like 400TW, tons of void and sipes) that were just rebranded Generals. I kept one because I thought it was neat. I haven't seen anything like that since.

wvumtnbkr
6/3/21 11:03 a.m.

I WISH they made a 245 15.  I would buy a set right now!

OldGray320i
OldGray320i Dork
6/3/21 3:00 p.m.

The 225s have me thinking a set of 15x9s is in the future for the Miata.  S/b more total grip than the 205 RE71s now, and last a little longer. 

And, once I get the coilovers done on the e21, the 15x8s now on the Miata will probably fit there. 

Just justifying my future purchases, you know...

6/3/21 3:15 p.m.
1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TvxxgujFH7mBlP2ojdosH91OsK0irGvDqnkL1QmNq3NVAUQRFwskAPXUXCIPIDUb