J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
10/23/24 11:23 a.m.
feature_image

Mini revamped its entire lineup for 2025, and it just announced a new Mini John Cooper Works 2 Door and Convertible as part of it.

Under the hood, there’s a 2.0-liter TwinPower Turbo four-cylinder engine like before, and it’s still rated for 228 horsepower. However, what does a car billed with “go-kart handling” need more of? Torque, apparently. To the …

Read the rest of the story

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
10/23/24 12:10 p.m.

I can't be too upset at a little more torque.

It's certainly more than many car makers have done with a model refresh.

ojannen
ojannen GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/23/24 1:17 p.m.

I test drove a new Cooper S.  It is leaning a little more towards BMW land but still felt like a Mini.  I liked the interior touches and especially the homage in the lower dash to the mark1 toggle layout.

The biggest problem for me was a higher seating position and no sunroof delete option.  Loosing 2" of headroom is a big deal.

The second biggest problem was four separate screen presses to change the temperature by 1 degree.

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
10/23/24 1:51 p.m.

go-kart handling

I have driven modern 1st, 2nd, and 3rd generation Mini Hatch (Raced a cooper S), I have been racing karts for 20 + years in all different makes and 2 cycle, 4 cycle, and s hifter engines. I have never driven a mini that handles like a kart. They are nimble for being a car, but it always drives me wild when someone uses that tagline when they are selling it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JiRqvDngWWxquFunliSRPJ0ErW4Now41JaeOAc2BhmJBNPCCTh7ft5ez37esJ83r