1 2
Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
1/27/17 1:10 p.m.

Haven't watched it yet, but they've got an Rx7 and an early early civic. Sounds like it's going to be very GRM Challengish.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/U4-p3ogNBaU

NickD
NickD SuperDork
1/27/17 1:16 p.m.

It is very GRM. There's autocrossing and rallycrossing and engine swaps with Brian Gillespie of HaSport. Freiburger and Finnegan are actually pretty respectful of the cars, no needless abuse and beatings, and Freiburger is actually pretty fond of the RX-7

Fitzauto
Fitzauto Dork
1/27/17 2:17 p.m.

My girlfriend is super stoked to watch this (her FB has been down for over a year)

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
1/27/17 2:18 p.m.
NickD wrote: Freiburger and Finnegan are actually pretty respectful of the cars, no needless abuse and beatings

That's a big change from their usual mode of operation. I'll have to watch it tonight.

dropstep
dropstep Dork
1/27/17 2:47 p.m.

Pretty good, i was expecting them too be harder on the cars.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UberDork
1/27/17 6:14 p.m.

That makes me want a primered first generation Civic.

DuctTape&Bondo
DuctTape&Bondo Dork
1/27/17 6:16 p.m.

And a nod to Project Binky at 18:16?

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 Dork
1/27/17 6:17 p.m.

I know what I'll be watching later!

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/27/17 7:05 p.m.

Finnnegan's Civic is essentially the twin of my first car. Mine burned more oil though.

"Fill the oil and check the gas".

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 SuperDork
1/27/17 8:29 p.m.

Thank you for the link Adrian- I'll be watching this tonight.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/27/17 8:57 p.m.
ZOO wrote: "Fill the oil and check the gas".

Awesome

sanman
sanman HalfDork
1/27/17 10:59 p.m.

Nice! They need to stick a big turbo on LaPHONDA!!

NickD
NickD SuperDork
1/28/17 6:24 a.m.

Now that they're taking the 950hp blown 427 LSx out of Crusher, can they put that in the RX-7 and changed literally nothing else?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/28/17 11:55 a.m.

In reply to NickD:

Except a Kevlar blanket to contain the shrapnel.

NickD
NickD SuperDork
1/28/17 12:35 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed:

Nah, too responsible. I feel like they just put that engine in Crusher and gave it the Pro Touring style and it's already getting changed again. Now it's going tunnel-rammed small block/stick shift '70s Modified Production style.

dropstep
dropstep Dork
1/28/17 3:47 p.m.

Crusher is small block, automatic not stick. I think they should leave the ls on a crate in the parking lot and put the big block off stubby bob in the rx7

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
1/28/17 4:03 p.m.

I don't think they should do anything with the Rx-7. Frieburger admitted that it was out of his realm and he was genuinely having a good time with the car.

I think it would be more interesting for him to do other things to the car before resorting the cliché thing to do, which is wedging a V8 under the hood.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
1/28/17 5:10 p.m.

I watched this episode a month ago and am still torqued that the civic didn't make it. Didn't even compete. And then no one tries to get it going after disaster strikes! The one time they do a Japanese car episode and it bombed out. Not the best episode they've done. I demand a redo with something else. (First gen civics were not great)

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
1/28/17 5:16 p.m.

In reply to Trackmouse:

To be fair it wasn't that they didn't try to get it running. They'd all ready done an engine swap and it was banned for smoking nearly as bad as a VW clean diesel. It was Optima not Roadkill that killed its entry.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
1/28/17 5:27 p.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson:

That is true. Kinda wish the roadkill guys had more time to do these episodes. Seems like a lot of good stuff gets chopped from a lack of time. The RK/MCM episode really needed to see a welded diff on that road-sofa.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
1/28/17 5:32 p.m.

In reply to Trackmouse:

I get the feeling that they are too rushed, they have so much content to produce above and beyond the regular Roadkills that I feel the unscripted rush is a real 'WTF are we going to do this month' Look at what the MCM mods guys did last month. They brought their A game and Roadkill squeezed a quickie out between other commitments. Thats not necessarily a criticism, just part of the show.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/28/17 5:40 p.m.

To be fair, the MCM guys do it in their spare time. Roadkill, while not being their primary job, is still their job among many. Freiburger does Roadkill extra, Engine Masters, and Roadkill Garage. In addition to running damn near all of the (who ever owns Hotrod this week)'s magazines. And the fact that Finnigan is on the other side of the country in Georgia, doesn't surprise me that some episodes are short and rushed.

It's still free, and it's still fun. For me anyway.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 SuperDork
1/28/17 9:04 p.m.

I enjoyed the episode.

It's surprising either of them could walk after being abused in the civic!

So a question- why is it the one dude wore a fire suit when driving while the other dude didn't?

Skervey
Skervey HalfDork
1/28/17 9:26 p.m.

@paranoid_android74 - My guess is oh man I just got this fancy new driving suit im going to try it out! Or ah this RX7 is kinda sketchy im going to suit up.

Ya this is going to be up there for one of the better episodes for me. Makes me wish I would have taken my RX7 to ultimate street car challenge in Concord. My car wasn't ready but we still went to the track and watched. And now I don't watch it on TV anymore... Just a bunch guys with to much money trying to be cool by having people build them cars to race. There were a few true car guys but most of the guys there were the kinda guys that play golf and go sport fishing where someone bates there hook and takes the fish off when they land it.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
1/28/17 9:50 p.m.

Hey, I had a FB Rex-7 that caught fire when the nikki carb floats overfilled (screw you 1980's electric carburetion.)

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RwjslX4Jm2qP0dFanHIFgnQCYLDBjp4OLDVvAqjvkY3cvgdXTyz2xN1qaztSulvN