madmrak351
madmrak351 HalfDork
12/21/23 4:52 p.m.

I own a pair of Nissan S13 coupes. They both have the awkward and unreliable 90's mouse track shoulder belts. I have found late 2000's conventional lap/ shoulder belts from Nissan products the would adapt well in their place. However they are equipped with charge operated retractors triggered by the SRS control module. Is there any reason they would not function as a normal belt? I understand the retractors would not function. The belts should still function as they would in an accident that was not at the right angle to result in an airbag deployment. Any thoughts?

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
12/21/23 4:55 p.m.

You could try finding out what the Canadian market cars were using at the time. The US got those monkey motion belts before Canada did.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/21/23 4:57 p.m.

Yeah there's no reason they wouldn't function as normal belts, nothing to worry about.

madmrak351
madmrak351 HalfDork
12/21/23 5:25 p.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

Thanks for the info. I had looked into that earlier however not much luck in my price point.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/21/23 5:26 p.m.

ask paul.  he's the seat belt retrofit expert.

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
12/21/23 5:36 p.m.

They will work like normal belts without the srs. Inertia lock will still work. The only thing that doesn't work is the explosion to lock the belt in place when the airbag goes off.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/21/23 8:19 p.m.
Ranger50 said:

They will work like normal belts without the srs. Inertia lock will still work. The only thing that doesn't work is the explosion to lock the belt in place when the airbag goes off.

The explosion doesn't just lock the belt, it also retracts it a bit.

madmrak351
madmrak351 HalfDork
12/21/23 9:55 p.m.

Thank you, GameboyRMH and Ranger50 this confirms what I thought. I will use the set I got a while back in the gold car.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8vEu0AcnT9PY782kjeOCnUld2CEq1EpdWASMqTv1Aq9jqvjhciXjGXWWCiOP4o9E