1 2
bludroptop
bludroptop SuperDork
1/7/13 3:24 p.m.

Per's column was usually the first thing I read when a new issue arrived. Now that you've taken the helm for that part of the magazine, I see no cause to change that approach going forward.

(Edited to resolve unintended ambiguity)

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/7/13 3:28 p.m.
bludroptop wrote: Per's column was usually the first thing I read when a new issue arrived. I see no cause to change that approach going forward.

What? Reading Per's column? Kinda hard if he's not writing for the mag anymore.

Edited because you're no fun!

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
1/7/13 3:37 p.m.

Yes. I'm discombobulated.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/7/13 3:40 p.m.

New issue came in the mail today...

Hint: Open Pipes

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/7/13 3:44 p.m.

I'd like to think that my legacy will be similar to JG's FIL - a mysterious fluctuating supply of tape measures. And I hope my wake will be as cool, a distribution of my parts to like-minded individuals.

Great column.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
1/7/13 3:52 p.m.

Agreed, JG's column was great. Butch was a totally awesome guy, in that if you are a car guy, chances are you'd be in awe of him. He was always quick to help, was always friendly and just flat out cool.

I've already bought some pvc pipes and will soon be installing an air hose system similar to what Butch had. He and his place were full of inspiration.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado PowerDork
1/7/13 3:57 p.m.

I loved the part about the SAE tools being properly stored, but the metric stuff just kind of dumped in a drawer. Many of the older car guys I knew when I was a kid were like that.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter UberDork
1/7/13 4:55 p.m.
turboswede wrote: What? Reading Per's column? Kinda hard if he's not writing for the mag anymore.

Wha-huh? What did I miss?

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/7/13 5:04 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote:
turboswede wrote: What? Reading Per's column? Kinda hard if he's not writing for the mag anymore.
Wha-huh? What did I miss?

Per quit and moved to Ohio and is working for Bentley Pusblishers now. He announced it on Facebook, but nothing official posted here about it.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
1/7/13 6:05 p.m.
N Sperlo wrote: Yes. I'm discombobulated.

Is painful to lose your combobulator?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/7/13 6:08 p.m.

You can find it in the recombobulation area:

http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/29452504.html

Lesley
Lesley PowerDork
1/7/13 6:47 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: a distribution of my parts to like-minded individuals.

You know the saying...without pics, this thread is worthless.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
1/7/13 6:50 p.m.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. Just for the record, though, I really hope I'm done writing obituaries for a while. Even the fun ones are no fun, if you get what I mean.

Oh, and while I've taken over that page, I certainly haven't taken over that entire section of the mag. Per did a lot of wrangling for that back of the book tech section, and that job is now being spread among several staffers.

I am most certainly getting back into the wordmaking business, though. My production staff is absolutely top notch, and because they're so proficient we're finally at a level where I don't need to be involved in the actual making of the magazine every second of every day. That frees me up to do a little more writing, which is something I've sorely missed over the past few years.

jg

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/7/13 6:56 p.m.

Glad to hear it, JG.

So, does that mean we're going to see the Racing the Rock review soon?

mistanfo
mistanfo SuperDork
1/7/13 8:23 p.m.

Keith- thanks for the reminder. I need to search through my boxes o' parts to see where the DVD disappeared to. Then, I need a day when the wife and I are both home so that I can really crank it up

byron12
byron12 Reader
1/7/13 8:59 p.m.

Excellent column I am sorry for the loss butch sounded like my kind of guy. I will say JG. you are actually my favorite writer for GRM I have been following your endurance race articles for years you are hilarious among other things.

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
1/7/13 9:44 p.m.
turboswede wrote: Per quit and moved to Ohio and is working for Bentley Pusblishers now. He announced it on Facebook, but nothing official posted here about it.

Not quite. Moved to Ohio...yes...but LinkedIn just shows that I have been working with Bentley since my book was published in 1997. Talking with them about a revision now, but that's not a full time gig.

JG's column was solid---Butch was larger than life.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
1/8/13 7:41 a.m.
Lesley wrote:
Keith Tanner wrote: a distribution of my parts to like-minded individuals.
You know the saying...without pics, this thread is worthless.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
1/8/13 7:47 a.m.
Per Schroeder wrote:
turboswede wrote: Per quit and moved to Ohio and is working for Bentley Pusblishers now. He announced it on Facebook, but nothing official posted here about it.
Not quite. Moved to Ohio...yes...but LinkedIn just shows that I have been working with Bentley since my book was published in 1997. Talking with them about a revision now, but that's not a full time gig. JG's column was solid---Butch was larger than life.

please stop by more often...just because youre not on the staff, doesnt mean we dont like having you around. Kinda like going back to your High School when youre in your second year at college - its fun to stop by and see your old teachers, and make fun of the new kids

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
1/8/13 11:52 a.m.

Great column, JG and best of luck Per!

ultraclyde
ultraclyde Dork
1/8/13 5:38 p.m.

Per your column was always a highlight for me, best of luck.

JG, the column was excellent and I look forward to reading many more!

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
1/8/13 5:41 p.m.
ultraclyde wrote: Per your column was always a highlight for me, best of luck. JG, the column was excellent and I look forward to reading many more!

Sort of:

The King is dead!

Long live the King!

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas Dork
1/8/13 6:01 p.m.

Got the issue two days ago. I read the bit about "at least skimming over it", and then I skimmed over it.

Saw this thread and decided I needed to go back. Read it this afternoon, and was glad I did.

Well done, JG.

minimac
minimac SuperDork
1/8/13 6:02 p.m.

I too always looked for Per's column. Then I noticed a big blank space in the credits where the technical editor used to be listed. That's too bad for the magazine, but I'm sure they'll survive. Best wishes to Mr. Schroeder in whatever it is you're doing. J.G.- absolutely not to take anything away from you....it's just that it's different. I'm old and don't like a lot of change!

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
1/8/13 6:45 p.m.

There's definitely going to be some tough transitioning to a Per-less existence for us. After a decade and a half you just don't move on that quickly. In a lot of ways it's like losing a family member—heck, my mom nannied two of the Schroeder kids. So there'll definitely be some transitioning on our end as people come up to speed at new duties. We're all going to miss what Per brought to the table, but hopefully we can keep making delicious word meals with a new unique flavor.

jg

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PlEOsA5LxJLwSht1oXaL9EoqxTLP4O9JLdo3crFaXJwR6zqcGZRujwY7DSE7ogcm