1 2
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/18/22 9:56 a.m.

In reply to trucke :

Wow, Car Guys. I ran with them at Roebling in like 1994.

Sparkie
Sparkie New Reader
2/18/22 10:34 a.m.
trucke said:
Sparkie said:

Highlands Sports Car Club, https://hscc.club/ runs a whole series of night autocrosses every year in Asheville, NC.

Started in 1991!  Been running on the same lot ever since.  It's a great venue!

Yeah, I've run it before, a long time ago, but I plan to run a lot more this year. :) 

David S. Wallens
2/18/22 5:15 p.m.

You know, I planned to get some illuminated valve caps for the event. That would be fun, right? But all of the reviews made them sound like crap. Then I forget about them until this morning. 

te72
te72 Reader
2/18/22 9:51 p.m.

You know, I wish we did our events in the late afternoon. Start once the majority of the heat dies down, call it around 10pm so as to be good neighbors.

I'd claim the "it's hot out" because we're at 6500' elevation, but it's really more that I'm a night person. I don't even realize that I'm awake until half my morning runs are done haha.

DrMikeCSI
DrMikeCSI New Reader
2/18/22 10:02 p.m.

Wow, I hope you could see better then the camera. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/19/22 12:00 a.m.
DrMikeCSI said:

Wow, I hope you could see better then the camera. 

I'm assuming you were referring to my video.

I couldn't see much better than what the camera recorded.

We started with three runs before sundown, and I walked the course multiple times, had my first three runs, plus had worked a corner during that first session.

I was pretty familiar with the course for the night runs. 

I had to try to point the car in the right direction until the next element became visible. 

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/19/22 12:42 p.m.

In reply to trucke :

I went to college just North of Charlotte in the late 80's. The local AutoX group hosted a "24 Hours of leMall" at a large mall parking lot. It ran from noon to noon with a course change at midnight. To trophy, you had to run both courses. Fun event but long course worker stints.

Claff
Claff HalfDork
2/20/22 1:45 p.m.

We've run a handful of night autocrosses in DC region. They were non-points, with limited entry, no novices. They were usually held on a Saturday night after a school so some of the staff were there from 7AM, maybe earlier, and probably didn't get done till darn near midnight (and with another school the next day).

For those not at the school, we'd show up around 5PM. I think we'd start running around 7, maybe 7:30, so our first runs were in dusk. Drivers were separated into two halves, and one would work while the other ran. After everyone got four or five dusk runs, we'd take a break and hang for a while. By 9PM things were properly dark and we'd line back up and do another four runs. It wasn't completely dark as the parking lot lights were on, but it was dark enough.

I just realized the last one we did was back in 2016, so it's long overdue to do this again. But it would have to take some sweet-talking of the school staff to be willing to spend an 18 hour day at FedEx Field.

David S. Wallens
2/23/22 12:59 p.m.

In reply to hobiercr :

Yeah, 24 hours sounds fun until you're shagging cones at 4 a.m.

I really like the dusk/evening/night thing, so hopefully we see more on the calendar. 

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
2/23/22 1:03 p.m.

In reply to hobiercr :

I like riding woods at night and asked at a club meeting if we could run a night time hare scramble, and possibly a 24hr hare scramble if that worked out.

Everybody looked at me like I was nuts.

fatallightning
fatallightning Reader
2/23/22 3:54 p.m.

We had a local drive an exotic at a local mall. A buddy talked to the organizers during the day and somehow convinced them to let us check out the course afterhours. We ended running for like 2 hours non stop, and security was just like, yep fine. We called a couple buddies and had a ball. Some other guys showed up and it started to get a little crowded. I got pics somewhere, I gotta dig. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loQa7jQr8dY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoXqQNealrE

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1hVTLzDvHs4IQQZHWGgwsVifkbNOxzEgllKRmLtC30w1zvWnIiwGlCDfqcM9Rhny