Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
3/17/20 8:15 a.m.

Tired of the silver wheels that every car seems to come with these days?  No problem: You can change their color in just nine steps and a few hours.

Read the rest of the story

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
3/17/20 4:21 p.m.

I love this project. My son and I used a deck of playing cards instead of tape to mask off the sidewalls. To quote Edd China: "It worked a treat!".

slowbird
slowbird Dork
3/17/20 4:29 p.m.

I want to paint a couple of the wheels I just bought (to match the other two) but they're practically new so I'm just gonna mask and spray like a rebel without a cause.

JVO6
JVO6
3/17/20 7:27 p.m.

If you use rubberized paint, take the time to peel it from lug mounting surfaces.  It will compress and change lug nut torque. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/17/20 9:10 p.m.

This is extremely timely.  There's some Motegis that I picked up from Jeff Schwartz  (yes, that Jeff Schwartz) that are black. Black on a black car? No bueno. Gold or bronze is the question.

AAZCD
AAZCD HalfDork
3/17/20 11:09 p.m.

Last week I painted some wheels and didn't mask the tires because I plan to replace them before they go back on the car. I used a sharp scribe around the bead to make sure that the paint on the tires separated from the wheels. For paint I used 'Rustoleum Hammered' paint to save myself from getting all the little curb rash spots sanded down and refilled. Durable and I like the slightly textured finish.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
3/17/20 11:13 p.m.

Paint never holds up for me no matter how good the application is. Powdercoating all the way.

_
_ Dork
3/18/20 11:36 a.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

Nine?!?! Awe man.... I'm too lazy for nine. Have anything in 3 steps or less? Lol. 

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
5/6/21 12:50 p.m.

In reply to _ :

Wash the wheels, mask with playing cards or index cards (I also masking taped the valve stems), and Plastidip.  I've done it to 3 sets of wheels so far and turned out just fine.

Vajingo
Vajingo HalfDork
5/6/21 1:14 p.m.

I used the new thang on the market- Super wrap. 

Sprays like paint. Come off easy. Nice and shiny and not crap like plastidip. Looks like real paint. 

BA5
BA5 GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/7/21 10:35 a.m.

I have a set of (new) wheels that I want to paint.  

I was wondering if anyone thought it was necessary to hit them with sandpaper or a wire wheel to create a better surface for the paint to bond to?

Or is just cleaning and priming them good enough?

Vajingo
Vajingo HalfDork
5/7/21 1:00 p.m.

In reply to BA5 :

Use a scotch bright pad. These are brand new wheels though? I would rock the factory sheen as long as I could. 

BA5
5/7/21 1:11 p.m.

They're not very high end wheels and they're mostly black.  I hate the black.  Looks goofy as all get out on the car:

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/7/21 8:03 p.m.

I've done this several times now.  I get the tires removed.  I used foam sanding blocks, and then scotch brite pads (or steel wool) to get a nice dull smoothed and scuffed surface.  Then I use denatured alcohol or mineral spirits and lint free cloth to clean the dust off.  Then I spray a coat of primer.  After that 2-3 thin coats of color.

BA5
5/10/21 10:03 a.m.

oooo those look like they turned out nice.

And the gold color is exactly what color I'm going to do.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/10/21 10:26 a.m.

Sometimes the right wheel color, even on the OE wheel, makes quite the difference.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/10/21 10:54 a.m.

What about wheels that have already been painted? Is there a way to strip an aluminum wheel that won't damage the metal?

5/10/21 4:01 p.m.
BA5 said:

oooo those look like they turned out nice.

And the gold color is exactly what color I'm going to do.

Duplicolor gold wheel paint.  It's cheaper at your local advance, O Reilly than it is on Amazon FYI. 

5/10/21 4:02 p.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:

What about wheels that have already been painted? Is there a way to strip an aluminum wheel that won't damage the metal?

My advice, do not strip them to bare metal.  Scuff the current finish so your primer and paint will adhere using sanding blocks, scotch brite pads and steel wool.  It works well and lasts years. 

If you do decide to have them media blasted, I would go several coats of primer, several coats of paint and then do clear on top. 

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/10/21 6:00 p.m.

Basic scotchbrite, prime, and paint with duplicolor wheel paint....seems to hold up well to rally. YMMV.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DxBySdsKejSqpZhAZTCUv9ZyKOLT1VB9wGXu06Wehx4TAQ50H98SCOnp6QNnS0Xv