1 2 3
Driven5
Driven5 Dork
5/23/15 10:51 p.m.

In reply to bmw88rider:

If the 300ZX TT was the "halo" car, what exactly was the Skyline GTR? Mincemeat?? It does not matter if the originals were sold in the USA or not, the GTR is the modern equivalent to the Skyline GTR. Period. It should also come as no surprise that the modern Z is closest to its predecessor the 300ZX, albeit sort of an in between of the NA and TT. While it may be their current lowest sports car, there is nothing entry level about it. The simple fact is that, like it or not, Nissan just flat out does not have a 240SX equivalent today. Trying to make direct equivalents out of things that are obviously not directly equivalent is nothing more than a ridiculous exercise in futility.

And in my humble opinion, any company that would produce the Cube, Juke, and Murano convertible has more "balls" than just about any other major auto manufacturer...Even if they don't swing the way enthusiasts might wish they would.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Reader
5/24/15 10:06 a.m.

All of these manufacturers are stupid. The cornflakes they have running the design department are tree hugging fad chasers. You want a successful sports car? Rwd, NA, 150hp, under 20k. The cornflakes will say "impossible! It needs a convertible top, a flappy paddle box, massive 18" rims, and Bluetooth, Sirius fm, navi, and other non essentials."

And that's where they go wrong. Your building a SPORTS car. Not a sheeple mover. Therefore, cater to the SPORTS enthusiasts. Not some old man with a cane and gimped knee, not some cougar that is going through a divorce, not some "bro" that wants to pickup the chicks.

It's no frills, because you would be designing it for the enthusiasts. Why has no one created a company like this?!?!? Imagine, an air conditioning unit that's built to be easily removed. No power anything. Easily replaced body panels.

Bottom line- you don't hand Michael Jordan a laptop, and you don't hand bill gates a basketball.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/24/15 10:40 a.m.
Trackmouse wrote: And that's where they go wrong. Your building a SPORTS car. Not a sheeple mover. Therefore, cater to the SPORTS enthusiasts. Not some old man with a cane and gimped knee, not some cougar that is going through a divorce, not some "bro" that wants to pickup the chicks. It's no frills, because you would be designing it for the enthusiasts. Why has no one created a company like this?!?!? Imagine, an air conditioning unit that's built to be easily removed. No power anything. Easily replaced body panels.

You're describing a car that more or less nobody will buy.

Previous posters nailed it - the Miata is successful not because it is a good enthusiast vehicle, but because it panders to non-enthusiasts. Purely enthusiast vehicles are very low volume.

It doesn't hurt that Mazda is inherently a low-volume company, so they can bother with selling a car that sells in Miata numbers.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltraDork
5/24/15 11:15 a.m.
Trackmouse wrote: All of these manufacturers are stupid. The cornflakes they have running the design department are tree hugging fad chasers. You want a successful sports car? Rwd, NA, 150hp, under 20k. The cornflakes will say "impossible! It needs a convertible top, a flappy paddle box, massive 18" rims, and Bluetooth, Sirius fm, navi, and other non essentials." And that's where they go wrong. Your building a SPORTS car. Not a sheeple mover. Therefore, cater to the SPORTS enthusiasts. Not some old man with a cane and gimped knee, not some cougar that is going through a divorce, not some "bro" that wants to pickup the chicks. It's no frills, because you would be designing it for the enthusiasts. Why has no one created a company like this?!?!? Imagine, an air conditioning unit that's built to be easily removed. No power anything. Easily replaced body panels. Bottom line- you don't hand Michael Jordan a laptop, and you don't hand bill gates a basketball.

Good thing you don't run a car company, you and GM would have a table to yourselves.

Fact is that in order for us enthusiast to get a good toy, the thing has to be fist and foremost a GREAT sheeple mover. The manufacturer must identify a niche of sheeple (cause sheeple can be forecast) and design a very good car for them. T

The manufactures are not dumb, they have factored in the enthusiast and know that we will see to the potential of the car and exploit it to our own very unique and nefarious needs. THAT is what has happened to the Miata. It also happened with the VW many years ago.

Trying to build a car for the enthusiast is pointless; we are way too fragmented in our fetishes.

Driven5
Driven5 Dork
5/24/15 11:55 a.m.
NOHOME wrote: Trying to build a car for the enthusiast is pointless; we are way too fragmented in our fetishes.

So, what you're saying, is that you wouldn't want to try designing a sports car by GRM committee??...LOL!

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/24/15 12:15 p.m.

In reply to Driven5:

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/24/15 3:28 p.m.
Knurled wrote: Previous posters nailed it - the Miata is successful not because it is a good enthusiast vehicle, but because it panders to non-enthusiasts. Purely enthusiast vehicles are very low volume.

That's why I bought the FR-S. I didn't want to take a chance on Toyota/Subaru to wake up one day and say "Awe berk it. These things don't sell," and have them pull the plug.

Driven5
Driven5 Dork
5/24/15 4:07 p.m.

In reply to Knurled:

Yeah...But it would be RWD, have 300hp, weigh 2500lb, get 40mpg, only come in manual trans, tow 5000 lb, and start at <$20k!

MCarp22
MCarp22 Dork
5/24/15 6:06 p.m.
Trackmouse wrote: Why has no one created a company like this?!?!?

Are you new here? I can think of a 200+ page thread about this.

kanaric
kanaric Dork
5/25/15 1:02 p.m.
Knurled wrote: Previous posters nailed it - the Miata is successful not because it is a good enthusiast vehicle, but because it panders to non-enthusiasts. Purely enthusiast vehicles are very low volume.

That's why I bought the FR-S. I didn't want to take a chance on Toyota/Subaru to wake up one day and say "Awe berk it. These things don't sell," and have them pull the plug.

you could have always bought one used still lol. Like the 240SX it's twins with.

MCarp22 wrote:

Well we all know Mazda is going to correct this but they have no Mazdaspeed products right now, no GT car, and just the Miata. They are hardly an enthusiasts company at the moment just because of 1 car.

Meanwhile Ford for example has two hot hatches and a GT with multiple trims and a AWD rally car throwback to the homologation era coming out.

The only company that is close is probably Subaru with the FRS, WRX, and STI. However they still have no GT type sports car like Mazda has in it's 2004-2006 era. Around then you had Miata, Mazdaspeed Miata, MS3, MS6, and RX7.

The Japanese companies are all pretty much in a malaise era right now. They produce very little cars in terms of what interests enthusiasts and what they do make is either really old or not up to speed with the competition or even modern times. The current GTI with performance package, the upcoming Focus RS, even cars like the Focus and Fiesta ST are superior products to any recent Japanese hot hatch. Their GT cars have 2004 power figures and are riding on ancient chassis compared to competition. GT cars? What am I talking about. The 350z. The only one they make that isn't a luxury badge.

We all know why the Miata sells, it's the definitive roadster and women, old men, and enthusiasts all like it. The FRS is a sports car without power in an era when every car >$25k has significant power on the cheap. They could have just dropped a 260hp H6 in there and be like a 6 year old Cayman for the same price a 6 year old Cayman costs but they did not. Let's be frank here. People want power. The car will be sought after in a few years when they are cheap but by Toyotas own admission they are not selling and we all know why. They don't want a 4 cylinder they want a 6 as well. Toyota sacrificed marketing for making the car as cheap as possible when they could have done both. I doubt that Subaru H6 is that much more expensive and a flat 6 could have been a great selling point. A low redline 4 cylinder with like 200hp like what a Civic has? When the S2000 existed with much more power at 1999? Not really a selling point. It can handle as good as anything, however most people don't care solely about that. They will pick up a sloppy suspension LSD free WRX or a Focus ST instead. And they are, because those are selling. It was a total and absolute failure from the start in terms of what they chose to build and in terms of what abilities it had they could use to market it. It's a 2800lb car (not really a feat) with 200hp (around what people expect in a car like a "sport" Kia Forte) with 1/4 mile times less than a Camry. All most potential buyers will notice. They could have had both power and handling but they chose to not and that mistake will end many potential future case like this IDx or maybe even the S1000 coming here. Those cars are even more niche so if a car that was thought to be relatively safe and to have wide appeal didn't sell (FRS) those certainly wont'.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy SuperDork
5/25/15 1:50 p.m.

GM dropped the 130R as well..........

NOHOME
NOHOME UltraDork
5/25/15 4:21 p.m.
kanaric wrote:

you could have always bought one used still lol. Like the 240SX it's twins with.

MCarp22 wrote:

Well we all know Mazda is going to correct this but they have no Mazdaspeed products right now, no GT car, and just the Miata. They are hardly an enthusiasts company at the moment just because of 1 car.

Meanwhile Ford for example has two hot hatches and a GT with multiple trims and a AWD rally car throwback to the homologation era coming out.

The only company that is close is probably Subaru with the FRS, WRX, and STI. However they still have no GT type sports car like Mazda has in it's 2004-2006 era. Around then you had Miata, Mazdaspeed Miata, MS3, MS6, and RX7.

The Japanese companies are all pretty much in a malaise era right now. They produce very little cars in terms of what interests enthusiasts and what they do make is either really old or not up to speed with the competition or even modern times. The current GTI with performance package, the upcoming Focus RS, even cars like the Focus and Fiesta ST are superior products to any recent Japanese hot hatch. Their GT cars have 2004 power figures and are riding on ancient chassis compared to competition. GT cars? What am I talking about. The 350z. The only one they make that isn't a luxury badge.

We all know why the Miata sells, it's the definitive roadster and women, old men, and enthusiasts all like it. The FRS is a sports car without power in an era when every car >$25k has significant power on the cheap. They could have just dropped a 260hp H6 in there and be like a 6 year old Cayman for the same price a 6 year old Cayman costs but they did not. Let's be frank here. People want power. The car will be sought after in a few years when they are cheap but by Toyotas own admission they are not selling and we all know why. They don't want a 4 cylinder they want a 6 as well. Toyota sacrificed marketing for making the car as cheap as possible when they could have done both. I doubt that Subaru H6 is that much more expensive and a flat 6 could have been a great selling point. A low redline 4 cylinder with like 200hp like what a Civic has? When the S2000 existed with much more power at 1999? Not really a selling point. It can handle as good as anything, however most people don't care solely about that. They will pick up a sloppy suspension LSD free WRX or a Focus ST instead. And they are, because those are selling. It was a total and absolute failure from the start in terms of what they chose to build and in terms of what abilities it had they could use to market it. It's a 2800lb car (not really a feat) with 200hp (around what people expect in a car like a "sport" Kia Forte) with 1/4 mile times less than a Camry. All most potential buyers will notice. They could have had both power and handling but they chose to not and that mistake will end many potential future case like this IDx or maybe even the S1000 coming here. Those cars are even more niche so if a car that was thought to be relatively safe and to have wide appeal didn't sell (FRS) those certainly wont'.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I can agree with the whole low power rant for what it is worth. But it misses the whole point. Big HP is like big tits; better to want than get.

I drive my car in a world where the average driver takes over 5 sec to make it though an intersection when the light turns green. Yeah, I sure need another 100hp because......???

Funny thing is that the only people who complains bout the FRS/BRZ are those that have not driven them. Those that have bought them, or even driven them for some time, tend to like them just fine for what they do offer.

Clarkson (biggest HP hog in the world) pretty much sums up what the owners feel about this car once they get past the "No Power" whine. Find me a single picture of someone who is enjoying his Mustang or Hyundai to this extent.

Driven5
Driven5 Dork
5/25/15 11:05 p.m.
kanaric wrote: ...but by Toyotas own admission they are not selling...

Source? The only official comments I've seen is that they were not selling as well as expected in Europe...But I've never seen anybody back up these frequent claims that it's has been a sales disappointment in America, or any other markets for that matter.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
r9sPaKOaMLMWV0ONZQUMeWI73AMNqOcELJw4Pj4oZulrr2ZkyaRw3cvaII8bGe6Q