1 2
J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
5/16/23 4:01 p.m.
feature_image

The Nissan GT-R returns to the U.S. this spring. How much will it cost you? Well, pricing starts at $120,990 for the "base" model.

This base GT-R puts out 565 horsepower, 467 lb.-ft. of torque from a 3.8-liter V6. It carries 3985 pounds of weight.

2024 Nissan GT-R T-Spec

The T-spec model gets the same power output, with a few …

Read the rest of the story

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/16/23 4:32 p.m.

So, whats changed since 2009?

J.A. Ackley
5/16/23 5:25 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

Good question. I'll have an answer for you shortly.

J.A. Ackley
5/16/23 5:34 p.m.

Here are some of the differences:

• Redesigned front and rear fascias, rear wings and other body elements to increase downforce, reduce drag and improve handling.
  • NISMO has a new rear wing atop swan-neck-style supports, with an increase of almost 10% in surface area.
  • T-Spec gets even wider front fenders than the GT-R Premium, along with NISMO carbon ceramic brakes, gold-painted Rays forged wheels, a dark Mori Green interior color, special combination semi-aniline and suede interior upholstery and other enhancements.
  • NISMO gets a limited-slip diff for the first time.
Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
5/16/23 8:19 p.m.

They actually making the Z and GTR?

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/16/23 8:23 p.m.

In reply to J.A. Ackley :

Basically a body kit and an LSD. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/16/23 8:32 p.m.

It's not that they decided to just keep making the same platform for the Z and GT-R.

It's that they decided AFTER they stopped making the Z32, R32, S13, and B13.

I mean, they even had precedent - they kept making the S13 alongside the S14 for a while, and they made the B13 Sentra for quite a long time in other countries.

calteg
calteg SuperDork
5/17/23 8:58 a.m.

I guess this appeals to the guys that want a 911 Turbo S at a discount?? Not really sure what the target demo for the GT-R is anymore

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) PowerDork
5/17/23 9:12 a.m.
calteg said:

I guess this appeals to the guys that want a 911 Turbo S at a discount?? Not really sure what the target demo for the GT-R is anymore

They are SO night and day.  The GT-R is an absolute turd.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
5/17/23 9:15 a.m.
J.A. Ackley said:
feature_image

It looks truly awful in this picture.  Is it squatting?  Does the RR wheel have positive camber?  What is going on here?

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
5/17/23 9:19 a.m.

They didn't have a limited slip all this time? Or just one in the rear?

Surely the LSD had been invented when the GTR came out in 1909! (Sorry, I couldn't resist)

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
5/17/23 9:22 a.m.
yupididit said:

So, whats changed since 2009?

100+ more hp for one. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/17/23 10:14 a.m.

So, how long will Nissan keep selling this chassis? 

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
5/17/23 10:20 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Forever! What's funny is that it's so old it has become analog when it used to be like driving a video game. 

Seriously though, who is buying these? For that price you could have a whatever the new Lotus is called, a 911, even a Z06?! What about a Supra with all the go-fast mods?

I just don't understand how Nissan is selling more than 5 or 6 of these a year. Are there more Godzilla fan boys than I know? It made sense at 70k in 2009 money, but now it's senseless.

calteg
calteg SuperDork
5/17/23 10:31 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

So, how long will Nissan keep selling this chassis?

It's so strange, they just released the brand new  ̶3̶5̶0̶z̶  400z!

5/17/23 10:38 a.m.
CyberEric said:

Seriously though, who is buying these? 

I just don't understand how Nissan is selling more than 5 or 6 of these a year. Are there more Godzilla fan boys than I know? It made sense at 70k in 2009 money, but now it's senseless.

You'd be surprised.  Simply because of their folklore and movie fame, people who really aren't "car people" still love them.  If you don't know any better, driving them can still be a thrill.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
5/17/23 10:46 a.m.
CyberEric said:

Forever! What's funny is that it's so old it has become analog when it used to be like driving a video game. 

Seriously though, who is buying these? For that price you could have a whatever the new Lotus is called, a 911, even a Z06?! What about a Supra with all the go-fast mods?

On top of being bonkers fast stock, they engines are insanely stout and can make huge HP numbers. Lots of people seem to like that.

Years back when I still lived in Tulsa, I got a ride in a friends 800whp GT-R. Launch control start from 0 and then a rolling launch. Absolutely insane. 

And to be fair, 70k in 2009 is about 100k in 2024. 

DocRob
DocRob Reader
5/17/23 11:30 a.m.

It's interesting that so many seem to dislike the GT-R. I have seen a number of GT-Rs in Time Attack, NASA TT, UTCC, One Lap, and quite a few running autocrosses. They all do well overall. No, they aren't well suited for door-to-door racing. Yes, they're heavy. No, they aren't as nimble as a 911 or a C8.

But they are shockingly fast for their size and quite comfortable long-distance tourers with more than enough horsepower on tap to have fun. You can put golf clubs or suit cases in the trunk and adult sized people in the back seat. They're not quite as flashy, brashy, peacocky as other cars in their performance class. Meaning they make for much better low key daily drivers. Probably only 2 out of 10 people even notice a R35 GT-R when it's going down the road or parked some place. 

Also, if you haven't looked - while the parts aren't exactly cheap they also aren't crazy priced either. If you can afford to keep a Boxster or Cayman S going, you can afford to keep a GT-R going. Heck, you can pick up an R35 long-block for $12k and a 981 S motor is about 15k. A buddy just had his GT3 motor replaced under warranty from Porsche, so no cost to him, but the bill tally was about 38k of which 27k was the engine. 

I am not a Nissan guy, but, especially used GT-Rs appeal to me quite a bit. No, I'm under no illusions it'll be faster around cones or corners than a 997 or a 981 of similar vintage. But with the right parts installed, I can turn the boost up, dial the suspension up, and absolutely rip around with it when I want to. Then I dial it all back down and drive comfortably down mediocre roads for hours at a time.

J.A. Ackley
5/17/23 11:37 a.m.

For those who question the performance potential of the GT-R: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/news/this-is-the-worlds-fastest-gt-r-of-its-type/

hunter47
hunter47 Reader
5/17/23 12:08 p.m.

I don't question the performance potential of the GT-R, I question who would buy one of these when you can get a Supra for about half the price of one and spend the rest of that money on go-fast bits. I just can't see myself spending that much on a GT-R when I could have any number of cars for cheaper and provide a similar experience (on a newer chassis, too). 

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
5/17/23 12:10 p.m.
DocRob said:

I am not a Nissan guy, but, especially used GT-Rs appeal to me quite a bit.

I've definitely shopped for used GT-Rs before, and they seem pretty attainable–even for me.

In my eyes, the R35 would be, as you said, a great GT car that has enough power to have fun.

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
5/17/23 12:44 p.m.

In reply to hunter47 :

+1000.

I get it for a used one, I just can't imagine spending that kind of cash for a new one. I imagine I'd like to drive one, just not at that price. If someone gave me that kind of money, the GTR would be the last thing I would buy. 

Doesn't matter though, I'm not the target demographic.

DocRob
DocRob Reader
5/17/23 1:31 p.m.

In reply to hunter47 :

It's interesting, because I think the reverse. I can't fathom why anyone would buy an A90 Supra. 

But, I'll also admit to some biases.

1) I think the A90 is one of the ugliest cars designed in the past 25 years. 

2) I am not a BMW guy, at least BMWs with more than two wheels. When I say that, I mean, I have zero, absolutely zero, interest in owning a BMW or BMW-engineered vehicle. That's actually a real deal breaker for me. It wouldn't be any better if it was Mercedes, VW, or Audi engineered either. Of the Deustch only Porsche is interesting to me. 

3) I'm usually biased against 'newer is better' arguments. I tend to prefer to purchase well established platforms/engine combinations, because cars are pretty expensive overall, and I am just conservative in this nature. 

While I fully get the conversation when it comes to buying new and I tend to agree, buying a 2024 GT-R when there are other cars out there that have had considerable evolution, refinement, or revolution - and are cheaper - doesn't make the most sense. On the other hand, as near as I can tell, the GT-R has actually be a reliable, robust, platform since it's release and there are now millions of miles and hundreds if not thousands of modified GT-Rs running around out there to attest to this. The problems with the R35 are documented, understood, and able to be dealt with. Such is not yet the case for the A90. 

For me, that clean, one or two owner 2009-2015 models, with <50k miles on them, are starting to dip down into the 60-70k range - makes them a heck of a bargain. 

5/17/23 2:10 p.m.
DocRob said:

It's interesting that so many seem to dislike the GT-R. I have seen a number of GT-Rs in Time Attack, NASA TT, UTCC, One Lap, and quite a few running autocrosses. They all do well overall. No, they aren't well suited for door-to-door racing. Yes, they're heavy. No, they aren't as nimble as a 911 or a C8.

But they are shockingly fast for their size and quite comfortable long-distance tourers with more than enough horsepower on tap to have fun. You can put golf clubs or suit cases in the trunk and adult sized people in the back seat. They're not quite as flashy, brashy, peacocky as other cars in their performance class. Meaning they make for much better low key daily drivers. Probably only 2 out of 10 people even notice a R35 GT-R when it's going down the road or parked some place. 

Also, if you haven't looked - while the parts aren't exactly cheap they also aren't crazy priced either. If you can afford to keep a Boxster or Cayman S going, you can afford to keep a GT-R going. Heck, you can pick up an R35 long-block for $12k and a 981 S motor is about 15k. A buddy just had his GT3 motor replaced under warranty from Porsche, so no cost to him, but the bill tally was about 38k of which 27k was the engine. 

I am not a Nissan guy, but, especially used GT-Rs appeal to me quite a bit. No, I'm under no illusions it'll be faster around cones or corners than a 997 or a 981 of similar vintage. But with the right parts installed, I can turn the boost up, dial the suspension up, and absolutely rip around with it when I want to. Then I dial it all back down and drive comfortably down mediocre roads for hours at a time.

Very well said.  I guess it's just how you look at it.  If you compare it to other "supercars" that are mentioned in this thread, it's not in their league.  It's an ancient grand tourer.  If that's what you see it as, you will like it.

It's a Challenger Hellcat before the Hellcat existed.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
5/17/23 2:12 p.m.
hunter47 said:

I don't question the performance potential of the GT-R, I question who would buy one of these when you can get a Supra for about half the price of one and spend the rest of that money on go-fast bits. I just can't see myself spending that much on a GT-R when I could have any number of cars for cheaper and provide a similar experience (on a newer chassis, too). 

I've owned a modern, turbo BMW and while the B58 is supposed to be much better, the N55 in my 135i has sworn me off turbo BMWs for good. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TaYaoh3Qqv5Yl7InQiky6QnYuv3JKxdbjzrfDs2519AIZN7caDoOUeY5RNrWC7qs