1 2
Fletch1
Fletch1 Reader
10/27/10 3:37 p.m.

Looking for a winter car. I found this and thought it would be cool. The automatic of course is a negative, didn't know how reliable they are. Also, looks like a buy here/ pay here/auto repair place (you can see their sign in one of the pics). I love that blue But I have to remain focused. The price is at the very top right corner. The head gasket issues from these cars in the late 90's worry me.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail/photos/multiPhotoPopup.jsp?paId=368574128&tracktype=usedcc&aff=national

RoosterSauce
RoosterSauce New Reader
10/27/10 3:44 p.m.

Price is ridiculous. Also, I bet price is *after $2000 down and a $1000 trade allowance. But, it does have carbon fibre and blue tutone interior trim, so it might be worth it.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Dork
10/27/10 3:44 p.m.

Only things that jump out at me are the auto and the very-obviously-aftermarket carbon fauxber insert pieces.

But I don't see a 2.5RS going for less anytime soon...

Fletch1
Fletch1 Reader
10/27/10 3:46 p.m.

In reply to ReverendDexter:

You forgot the sweet blue paint around the air vents. Thats all minor. Its just knowing who probably owned it.

Fletch1
Fletch1 Reader
10/27/10 3:47 p.m.

In reply to RoosterSauce:

There is a 2000 Rs with 100,000 miles for $7000. This guy has people wanting to buy it in another forum. These things are going for way to much. This one is actually a cheap one.

Duke
Duke SuperDork
10/27/10 3:55 p.m.

And, actually, the automatic is not too bad, particularly for a winter beater. Despite the "accents", that one appears cleaner and more solid than most. Offer them $2995 cash and see if they bite.

If you go to see it, check that the AT OIL TEMP light goes out on startup. If not, run away, or lowball the heck out of them and swap in a 5 speed when it dies.

RoosterSauce
RoosterSauce New Reader
10/27/10 4:01 p.m.

Maybe I'm nitpicking, or cheap/poor, but $4k seems too much for a winter beater. Also, isn't the AWD system with the automatic just not so good/fun as the one with the manual? I'm not a Subaru guy, so tell me I'm wrong. I would buy a $500 Impreza, and throw Forester struts on it for that, what 2" lift or whatever? Some giant studded A/T tires, and call it a day.

Duke
Duke SuperDork
10/27/10 4:02 p.m.

A $500 Impreza in most places in the US is a totalled '96 base car that was rusty before it got hit.

Fletch1
Fletch1 Reader
10/27/10 4:05 p.m.

In reply to Duke:

Thanks for the advice. Also, I've actually never driven a stick in winter. I wondered if it would be better or just get an auto. Believe me, I wish this were a stick.

RoosterSauce
RoosterSauce New Reader
10/27/10 4:06 p.m.
Duke wrote: A $500 Impreza in most places in the US is a totalled '96 base car that was rusty before it got hit.

They are a dime a dozen in New England, and I've heard Colorado has more than a few. Other places, not so much?

Fletch1
Fletch1 Reader
10/27/10 4:06 p.m.

In reply to RoosterSauce:

The price is high for any car I would buy for winter. I may try to deal. I think your correct about the AWD system. I need to do more research. Well, time to leave work. I don't have a computer at home right now I'll be back tomorrow to see what you guys come up with.

Duke
Duke SuperDork
10/27/10 4:16 p.m.

The automatic, I think, limits the rear torque bias to something like 20% instead of 50% like the manuals.

However, for one winter, my daughter had a '98 Impreza L wagon with the automatic, and it threw enough power to the back that it would easily oversteer on the throttle in the snow. At 100,000+ miles, the auto was nice and crisp and shifted well. Agreed, not as pleasurable as a manual, but not a bad drive.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/27/10 4:57 p.m.

You get your choice of an old Toyota pickup or an old Subaru wagon at the DMV when you get your Colorado driver's license. It's required to own one or the other.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Dork
10/27/10 5:04 p.m.
Duke wrote: And, actually, the automatic is not too bad, particularly for a winter beater.

Sure, but a stick would still be better. At least, that's my experience growing up in the Sierras.

But I'm also the crazy bastard that can't stand FWD in the snow.

RoosterSauce
RoosterSauce New Reader
10/27/10 5:05 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote:
Duke wrote: And, actually, the automatic is not too bad, particularly for a winter beater.
Sure, but a stick would still be better. At least, that's my experience growing up in the Sierras. But I'm also the crazy bastard that can't stand FWD in the snow.

It's not crazy to like being able to steer and go at the same time.

Platinum90
Platinum90 SuperDork
10/27/10 5:09 p.m.

yes, that is very inexpensive for 2.5 RS.

no, I don't like Automatics

Yes, in your situation, I would buy it.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 HalfDork
10/27/10 6:31 p.m.

What about something like this: http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/cto/2021028877.html

Sure, it has the dents, but it's a wrx for $4200.

Volksroddin
Volksroddin Dork
10/27/10 7:35 p.m.

ohio winters are not bad at all. I can drive all day long in the p71 with out eny issue's.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/27/10 8:21 p.m.

Depends. If you're in the SW, winters are rather mild. If you're in the NE, you get hammered.

One of my friends just gave away a 2.5RS for something really low like $5000, and it came with good dampers, a set and a half of rally tires, a tire trailer, skidplates, and some other goodies. If I had the cash, I'd've been all over it. The only issues were some minor (meaning cosmetic, looks okay from 100 feet) body damage on one corner, and the usual rust settling in.

I got to drive it once in the heat of battle. The 2.5RS is magical, it drives far more than the sum of its parts. That's why they have held their value so well. Makes ya wonder what a WRX was like, instead of the bloated big-as-a-Legacy WRX we finally did get.

Travis_K
Travis_K Dork
10/28/10 1:06 a.m.

Thats cheap for one of those, i have actually seen the bugeye 2.5RS for sale cheaper than the older ones like that one. $6-8K is the normal range I have seen.

Fletch1
Fletch1 Reader
10/28/10 7:46 a.m.

The Ohio BMV shows he got the title for this car way back in February. That's good for making a deal, but possibly something is turning people off (Automatic tranny I'm sure is part of it). The head gasket issues of these cars concern me. I sure couldn't do it myself I don't think.

96DXCivic
96DXCivic SuperDork
10/28/10 9:05 a.m.

Yes it is a heck of a deal but have you looked at older Audis?

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/28/10 9:17 a.m.

In reply to Fletch1:

That is way more than I'd pay for that car, but it is the going market value for a clean coupe. If you move to a hatch or the outback sport model, prices seem to drop a bit. This is more my speed:

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/ctd/2006773844.html

Fletch1
Fletch1 Reader
10/28/10 10:51 a.m.

The Ohio BMV report says "non-actual" in the Mileage column.

Fletch1
Fletch1 Reader
10/28/10 11:06 a.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy:

I would rather have a 2.2L sedan or wagon. The 97-01's are hard to find around here. Most command a high price too. I fear the head gaskets of the 2.5's.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8rYba36FBOT0XBEhy3YPs8iLLQGY15Cwob74n0SIKm9uNQ7cfbEEK2pJsdM85jn8