1 2 3
xflowgolf
xflowgolf Dork
11/21/16 10:27 a.m.

I work in a professional suit/tie type environment, and having just moved offices, it made me think about decorating again. I'd like to find some professionally appropriate, but automotive/racing inspired decorations/artwork/knick knacks, etc.

So it got me wondering, since I'm not the most talented in the interior decorating arena, who out there has decked out your office/workplace/cubicle/etc. with racecar things? Where did you find items? (christmas is coming up...)

Feel free to share your shop/etc., but I'm more looking personally for ideas on what might pass for a professional office.

java230
java230 Dork
11/21/16 10:42 a.m.

I have always thought these 3d track cutouts were cool, and pretty slick/tasteful for an upscale office.

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 HalfDork
11/21/16 10:53 a.m.

I work in a 'collaborative workspace' which means I'm a hobo and don't get my own desk.

That said, my locker is topped with a bunch of car parts that failed in interesting ways.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer UltimaDork
11/21/16 10:56 a.m.

I have a bunch of post-its around my wall. What stands out at the moment is my race helmet with my race gloves on top of my cabinet. Gets alot of attention from customers and employees alike. Also, my air pressure gauge from my racing days gets alot of attention. Better than the pencil style IMO...

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
11/21/16 10:57 a.m.

I'm still pissed that years ago someone on the night cleaning crew stole one of my favorite Hot Wheels cars off my desk. Morale of the story: don't keep anything you really value in your office.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/21/16 11:15 a.m.

My office is completely covered with Challenge memorabilia.

Pictures, hats, lanyards, parts, hats, awards, etc. My daughter has done needlework and paper craft of a couple of my cars. I've got matchbox cars, cutaway drawings of cars I hope to build, and pictures of kids from various years building my Challenge cars.

I think my favorite picture is of me staging next to a '67 Charger at Gainesville Raceway...in my YUGO! (He beat the crap out of me, but I beat him on the autoX) I gave out buttons that year with GRM checkered flags that said "I got Beat by a Yugo". One of the buttons is on the wall too.

Dave
Dave Reader
11/21/16 11:20 a.m.

Rambler Hub Cap Clock

I made this clock from a cheap dollar store clock and a Rambler hub cap. Hangs in my office. Unfortunately the cheap dollar store clock never really works so its only right twice a day.

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/21/16 11:23 a.m.

I've got car photos, posters in mine, plus my aged-out SA2005 helmet.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
11/21/16 11:25 a.m.

kids pictures.. lots of kids pictures.

Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
11/21/16 11:26 a.m.

I hear a GRM wall calendar is a nice touch.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UberDork
11/21/16 11:29 a.m.

I have a pair of prints of vintage race cars (1910ish) kicking up dirt and a couple dozen matchbox cars zooming around my windowsill.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UberDork
11/21/16 11:30 a.m.
Ed Higginbotham wrote: I hear a GRM wall calendar is a nice touch.

Oh yeah, that too

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/21/16 11:32 a.m.

GRM calendar, photos of my car, and assorted desk toys. When it comes time to replace the expired seats in my car, I'm thinking I might take one of the old ones, cannibalize an office chair to make something like this, and then put it in my cube as a guest chair. :)

(that one costs $3500, which is just ridiculous)

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/21/16 11:34 a.m.

Vintage race posters from the 'Ring, posters from the Miata at MRLS events and Targa Newfoundland, a stack of Targa number plates, pictures of my various cars, a Caterham model on the desk along with some turbo bits and a bunch of springs, broken car parts, a couple of race wings, copies of the book covers, a thank-you plaque from Mazda - you know, the usual

Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
11/21/16 11:35 a.m.

In reply to codrus:

I did the car/office chair thing. Been sitting in a Ford Fiesta driver's seat for almost 3 years now. No complaints, though if this were a suit/tie office I might chose a less terrible looking seat.

I also keep the helmet in my avatar on the shelf in my office since it's SA2005.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
11/21/16 11:36 a.m.

I've got a couple pictures up, a flower lei draped over my box-o- goodies and a trashed SBC rod bearing.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
11/21/16 11:37 a.m.

Cube farm here. GRM calendar on one wall, CM calendar on the other wall. A Porsche 911 paperweight under the monitor along with a Lightning McQueen toy with a model of a CH-47 Chinook helicopter (what I do). Cabinet has a couple picture of my Opel GT. Been meaning to put up a pic of my Miata but haven't got around to it. Have some other memes printed out and taped to the cabinets too, Where a Bolt goes when you drop it and how I spend time in my garage pie charts along with a poster that states "In my defense I was left unsupervised". My youngest Daughter is the title clerk/event planner at the local dealer that sells Porsche, BMW, Jaguar, Land Rover & Volvo. She got me the paperweight from her work.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/21/16 11:40 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Vintage race posters from the 'Ring, posters from the Miata at MRLS events and Targa Newfoundland, a stack of Targa number plates, pictures of my various cars, a Caterham model on the desk along with some turbo bits and a bunch of springs, broken car parts, a couple of race wings, copies of the book covers, a thank-you plaque from Mazda - you know, the usual

I think the sign over the door counts in your case too. :)

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
11/21/16 11:42 a.m.

I have some old automobile ads from 1910? Colliers magazine framed up on my wall. I also have an 8x10 black and white glossy photo of some surface to air missles that have paragraph on the back explaining it. Im guessing its an old traing picture. And the obligatory hotwheel yellow lotus europa, but as you'd expect it doesnt move under its own power just like a real one.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/21/16 12:27 p.m.

Small battery powered clock set into the big end of an aluminum connecting rod from a Top Fueler.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/21/16 12:46 p.m.

Decorating a office. Who knew.

My desk is buried in paperwork and electronic parts. Decorations would take up too much valuable real estate.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
11/21/16 12:53 p.m.

I live in the computer so I have nothing really except a picture of the wife. Desk space is needed for monitors and my solidworks/programming rig.

I dd 3d print a paper coffee cup holder so it does not tip over on me.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/21/16 12:54 p.m.
xflowgolf wrote: Feel free to share your shop/etc., but I'm more looking personally for ideas on what might pass for a professional office.

I'm with you on the workplace dynamic. Truth is...unless you work in a car-centric field, nobody is going to 'get it.' "You race cars? Is that like NASCAR? How much money do you win? How fast do you go? '125 or so.' Shoot, I've been that fast in my wife's minivan."

In reality, you're in a very small circle of enthusiasts that share the same mental illness. You'll open a lot more doors for yourself with golf crap or stick-and-ball sports memorabilia.

If you're new and unestablished, keep it generic. If you've been around long enough to earn the right to be eccentric, do what you like.

I have an nice framed print of "The Last Open Bar," and a couple of framed pictures from our Lemon's adventures.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/21/16 12:58 p.m.

My office is a '16 cummins 3500 ram. It's decorated with 800lb ft of torque and a manual shifter for the transfer case. And a crapload of snickers and a case of water, and in the bed there is a muffler for a 50's east german compact car.

trucke
trucke Dork
11/21/16 1:02 p.m.

1) GRM Calendar

2) Season end Trophy's

3) Cone that I dragged into the grid, then backed up and it flipped up inside the engine bay to be chewed on by the power steering belt. Quite the battle scars!

4) Lots of work related crap

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
y9cWB5Lj8cPI7bMXSVqaeiz3tNOhEuAoGxZ4jXoKAY4g3Fj66EuUwaaUljkSnvXN