geomiata
geomiata New Reader
5/28/08 12:27 a.m.

I Have come across a 86 mr2 on teh craigslist, and its dirt cheap and near me. it needs a head gasket and its RHD but thats ok. anyway can anybody convince me not to buy this 4age goodness? i think Dr Hess has one right?

ww
ww Dork
5/28/08 12:48 a.m.

Where are you located? :nice:

donalson
donalson SuperDork
5/28/08 2:10 a.m.

heck you could buy it, fix it and flip it all based on jdm awesomeness of RHD to some ricer tool...

or just enjoy the hell out of it :)... HG isn't to bad of a job... especialy if the price is right... i want another 2 :(

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
5/28/08 8:12 a.m.

I had an 87. Paid $100 for it and put a 20v in it. It was my Locost donor after a F150 finished it off.

I saw a RHD Fairlady 280Z with a woman driving it yesterday.

Jay
Jay HalfDork
5/28/08 8:51 a.m.

RHD is fun. Do it.

> J

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/28/08 8:56 a.m.

Better limber up that left hand for shifting.

After driving a LHD car for so long I wonder if it would feel like I was trying to use a flipper to shift gears?

Jay
Jay HalfDork
5/28/08 9:06 a.m.

Having personal experience with my very first RHD ever, I have to say it takes all of five seconds to get used to. Learning to shift with your left hand is no different than re-learning to shift with your right hand when you buy a new car. I'm always aware of where rest of the car is around me and have never misjudged where the far-side (left) corners are.

It is, however, huge fun to watch people do double-takes when you're sitting in traffic. You can just hear the gears in their heads screeching to a halt going "error! No driver! Does not compute!"

I'm probably just vain and easily amused though.

J

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
5/28/08 9:17 a.m.

I heard a story that went: RHD car with a passenger in the left seat gets pulled over for speeding. "License." "I don't have a license with me." "Oh, you're gonna get a ticket for that..." "I'm not driving." Cop realizes he's a dumbass and walks back to car and drives off.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/28/08 9:24 a.m.

Buy it only if it was imported as RHD. Fan-boy hackjob RHD conversions aren't cool.

Blown headgaskets seem to be what always parks old MR2s. If it were me, I would buy a 20V for about twice what it will cost to properly fix the HG. Most of the time folks keep driving them until they 'won't go' when the HG starts protesting.

donalson
donalson SuperDork
5/28/08 11:59 a.m.

where are these cheap 20v engines at? I rember being able to find inexpensive smallports and resonable 20v's... but thats been a long time grr....

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
5/28/08 12:36 p.m.

Are they drying up? I was worried that this would eventually happen.

geomiata
geomiata New Reader
5/28/08 1:05 p.m.

yeah the headgasket is the only thing that worrys me, but i always have shop class. its 500 and i comes with over 1000 in aftermarket parts. wish me well.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 New Reader
5/28/08 2:30 p.m.

Call Jarco.... last time i looked into this about a year or so go, they could get me a Silvertop for $800+shipping.

No tranny, but complete otherwise.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin Dork
5/28/08 3:12 p.m.

RHD has to suck on backroads. How the hell do you see around the car in front of you to pass?

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 New Reader
5/28/08 4:45 p.m.
ProDarwin wrote: RHD has to suck on backroads. How the hell do you see around the car in front of you to pass?

Are you driving on straight backroads? :twisted:

You just see better around them on left bends....

ProDarwin
ProDarwin Dork
5/28/08 5:19 p.m.
93celicaGT2 wrote:
ProDarwin wrote: RHD has to suck on backroads. How the hell do you see around the car in front of you to pass?
Are you driving on straight backroads? :twisted: You just see better around them on left bends....

Passing zones are on straight sections...

dan_efi
dan_efi New Reader
5/28/08 8:19 p.m.

If you have troubles with a RHD then you've probably got issues driving any car.

Jay
Jay HalfDork
5/29/08 2:55 a.m.

Simple, you leave a bit more space between you and the car in front. I've never had any problem.

J

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/29/08 10:02 a.m.

A blown headgasket is a pretty straightforward repair you can do with hand tools, but if the blown gasket caused other issues (holes in the head, holes in the pistons, blown rings) you are in for a bit more work. You can still get Silvertop 16v engine complete for a reasonable price, so just drop one in and have fun.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/29/08 10:05 a.m.

Buy it! Save an MR2, they're endangered :(

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YPwhXd5TJAdVmzjXjS7oeRYva61vn3xYTSGSE0cNSRCupx6TwQdZihevB2doY0kD