1 2
Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
5/21/18 4:50 p.m.
yupididit said:

In reply to Chris_V :

540 parts car and you can have a manual v8 8 series lol

But you said they come with a manual and the V8 cars don't. Nearly $3k to do the conversion IF you can get someone to do the DME on it (to code it to start and run with the manual). Considering the 840i is going to run damn near $10k to start with if not more and you can see that it's not that easy to do. The 850is are available with a manual, but those are not $10k cars in good shape.

steronz
steronz Reader
5/21/18 5:04 p.m.

OK, let's talk about the early Maserati Spyders, 2002-2005.  

It's not the best looking car ever, nor does it technically slide in under my hypothetical $10k budget, but it's surprisingly close.  It's instantly recognizable as a high end car, in a way that a BMW or a Boxster isn't.  It's available with a manual transmission and has a Ferrari V8.

I'm sure maintenance is a nightmare, but if one were to do all the work themselves and not care about keeping it numbers matching, could it work as a weekend car?  Or does it just fall into the "if you can't afford it new, you can't afford it used" trap?

yupididit
yupididit SuperDork
5/21/18 5:14 p.m.
Chris_V said:
yupididit said:

In reply to Chris_V :

540 parts car and you can have a manual v8 8 series lol

But you said they come with a manual and the V8 cars don't. Nearly $3k to do the conversion IF you can get someone to do the DME on it (to code it to start and run with the manual). Considering the 840i is going to run damn near $10k to start with if not more and you can see that it's not that easy to do. The 850is are available with a manual, but those are not $10k cars in good shape.

To be honest I never seen a clean running one for sale so...

The manual is just bonus with anyway lol

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
5/21/18 5:30 p.m.

5 biTurbos?

Register one and stick the plate on whichever ones starts each day.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
5/22/18 7:27 a.m.

In reply to KyAllroad (Jeremy) :

Cool cars, but the thread was best looking, the Bi turbo, even running sort of excludes itself from this conversation. 

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/22/18 7:40 a.m.

$9800.  People think it's an M3, they know it's a BMW, they are jealous of the care-free convertible lifestyle.  

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
5/22/18 8:38 a.m.
KyAllroad (Jeremy) said:

5 biTurbos?

Register one and stick the plate on whichever ones starts each day.

I thought the entire point of owning a Biturbo was to prove that you, and you alone, were such a master mechanic that you could keep it on the road. You could get better Italian styling for under $10,000, like one of these:

yupididit
yupididit SuperDork
5/22/18 8:51 a.m.

A bi-turbo would not impress non-car people. 

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UberDork
5/22/18 9:49 a.m.

I dunno, I think my Volvo 240 wagon gets a lot of attention from non-car people.  I had one guy tell me "that was a pretty expensive car back in the day" and thought it was from the late 70's (it's a 1990).  

It's even good looking, in a Scandanavian sort of way.  As a friend of mine once quipped, "only the Swedes could take a brick and call it 'aerodynamic'."

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XZCxQGMCddExk1iDaofWHmKV1RMT4Wiqeg2lQ3fplZyVsInUWd23wsl7XYIhPPoh