1 2
JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
4/4/16 5:26 p.m.

I specifically turned around to go back and take a picture of this because all I could think when I saw it was, "they'll never believe this on GRM."

At least the S10 is a long bed...I guess...but I'm not sure that helps.

After I took the picture, I realized that there is a St Bernard dog in the front seat of the dually.
I guess if your gonna go big...may as well have a Big Dog!

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/4/16 5:30 p.m.

Look how far back the big truck is on the trailer!!

motomoron
motomoron SuperDork
4/4/16 5:42 p.m.

Am I mistaken, or is this flat deck trailer now bent into a beavertail?

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
4/4/16 5:48 p.m.

What's a good estimate of how many pounds for load and trailer combined?

dropstep
dropstep Dork
4/4/16 5:51 p.m.

i pulled a car trailer with an 88 4x4 s10 but it wasnt stock suspension and it still nuked a transmission every 20k. i cant imagine that s10 has a long life ahead of it!

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/4/16 5:52 p.m.

truck should be around 7k plus 200 of dog and however much crap in bed. trailer 1500-2000. right now the guy is either dead, or the truck was sitting there because his transmission made it 1 block.

is that the hy miler on rye beach at 2?

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/4/16 5:55 p.m.

In Europe they tow loads like that with a Volvo.

etifosi
etifosi Dork
4/4/16 5:56 p.m.

Were they filming an Allstate "mayhem" commercial nearby?

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
4/4/16 5:56 p.m.

Yep, Rye Beach Rd at Rt2
The babysitter's is less than a half mile away.

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/4/16 5:59 p.m.

From a local 4x4 forum. That is a bumper pull btw with 1 strap.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
4/4/16 6:09 p.m.

Is that on the bumper hitch? At least the safety chains appear connected somewhere.

Long bed doesn't help, more overhang, more lever for the tongue weight to pick the front end up. Truck position on the trailer is probably about right though for a big block or diesel.

I'd be inclined to agree with patgizz on why it's parked, probably nuked the trans.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
4/4/16 6:14 p.m.

If the trans is nuked, imagine have to get that combo towed out of there!

That picture was about 9am. I was back past there at about 3:00 and that combo was gone.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/4/16 6:20 p.m.
BrokenYugo wrote: Long bed doesn't help, more overhang, more lever for the tongue weight to pick the front end up. Truck position on the trailer is probably about right though for a big block or diesel. I'd be inclined to agree with patgizz on why it's parked, probably nuked the trans.

Theoretically long bed helps with trailer stability due to longer wheelbase... that looks so unbalanced on tongue weight I'm not sure it would matter.

Maybe the driver is in the restroom changing his underwear?

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/4/16 6:21 p.m.

Those front straps are completely worthless.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/4/16 6:24 p.m.

Pretty sure that is a 7000 lb GVWR trailer, and that load is closer to 10,000

jimbbski
jimbbski Dork
4/4/16 6:26 p.m.

The S10 doesn't look to stressed with weight on the hitch. I see no rear end squat so who ever loaded the dually knew enough to get the tongue weight/balance close. But the weight of the truck & trailer will put a load on the S10's drivetrain that will nuke it.

chiodos
chiodos Dork
4/4/16 6:32 p.m.

The only thing i can guess is the dually broke with the s10 on the trailer and they only had one option.

Or meth. Yeah probably meth.

Danny Shields
Danny Shields GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/4/16 6:47 p.m.

"Best truck I ever had". Every fond remembrance of a favorite truck seems to start with the worst overload it ever survived. If this rig made it to its destination, the owner will have a good story to tell.

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/4/16 7:14 p.m.

I sold that almost exact same truck with a blown engine to a guy who pulled it home on a homemade trailer behind an Astrovan. But mine was a 4x4 with the 6.5TD so heavier. I tried to talk sense into him but no go and it was his truck by then.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/4/16 7:24 p.m.
dropstep wrote: i pulled a car trailer with an 88 4x4 s10 but it wasnt stock suspension and it still nuked a transmission every 20k. i cant imagine that s10 has a long life ahead of it!

I pulled a steel deck trailer with an RX-7 on it with a 5 speed B4000 and it towed beautifully.

Somewhere in the wilds of west-central Ohio along I-70, I saw an old square body S10, apparently with a 5th-wheel setup in the bed, towing a full length Class 8 flatbed trailer. He was moving along with traffic no problem. If he ever had to stop fast I hope he had the presence of mind to duck.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/4/16 7:35 p.m.

If you were living in India or Russia, you would be chastized for leaving the 2 tons of hay unloaded and taking two trips.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
4/4/16 7:42 p.m.

To those that do not know, from here you would have to travel 3 hours away to find anything that looks like a hill and even farther to find anything that represents a mountain

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
4/4/16 7:45 p.m.

Everyone seems to assume it was an automatic so the transmission was melting. I choose to believe that our intrepid tower was smart enough to choose a standard transmission. Just a biiiiiit of clutch slip to get moving and after that you're golden.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
4/4/16 7:45 p.m.
chiodos wrote: The only thing i can guess is the dually broke with the s10 on the trailer and they only had one option.

This makes pretty good sense because one of the things I can not figure is the St Bernard riding on the trailer. Of course, there's no way that dog is fitting in the S10 cab if he tries to lay down.

The random E36 M3 in the bed of the dually like the gas grill at the rearmost part of the bed may have been an effort to take some weight off the tongue.

The S10 does look to be pretty level, not scrapping the ground and pointing the headlights to the sky.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 SuperDork
4/4/16 7:49 p.m.

My big dumb load. Muffin (4 cylinder Auto TJ) hauling a dead Grand Prix off to the scrap yard. Took it slow and had SWMBO follow.

Dad hauling all the crap I didn't move to OH when we left AR. Also slow, and I followed.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kPs07DFlfA7Ggo8efZrP1gWDrjhUPdXF4QJb5Cz5Z9s8YVR5q3G5xsOI751eIeYq