WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/15/23 7:36 p.m.

Way back in the dark ages of earlier this summer, you mentioned in this thread that your infortainment system kept crashing.

https://www.grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/lm-nd-miata/254183/page4/

At the time I hadn't experienced that with my 2021 ND.

I think my problem was that I didn't routinely drive long enough.  I've just had to do a few 6+hour drives for work, and my deck will crash about every 45min-1 hour.  Like yours, it's a hard reboot.

Did you ever find a solution?

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/15/23 9:50 p.m.

Nope and it's super annoying. I can't figure out if there's a pattern to it. Basically makes Android Auto unusable the rest of the drive.

02Pilot
02Pilot PowerDork
9/15/23 10:00 p.m.

Oddly enough, mine just did it for the first (and second) time earlier today, after a couple hours of use in each case. Prior to that, I'd used it for 8-9 hours straight on my long road trip west last summer with no issues. When unplugged, the phone (Pixel 6) had a red screen that said Android Auto encountered an error; whether this means it is at fault, or that the error was generated by the Mazda system, I do not know.

WonkoTheSane
9/15/23 11:17 p.m.

It seems like it's worse with Waze instead of Google maps, crashing in approx 45 minute intervals instead of 1 hour-ish, but that's the only thing I can come up with.  With mine, it just reboots and reconnects Android Auto, so except for 50-60s where I'm stuck listening to whatever FM static it was last on, it keeps on.

I guess I'll have to contact Mazda and see if they have any ideas.

Yeah, I'm the same boat 02... mine hadn't done it before, two weeks ago or so.

I did try removing the SD card (with navigation).  That radically deceased the boot time, but you do lose the speed limit display on the gauge cluster.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/15/23 11:32 p.m.

I'll see if there are any notes in the factory service portal. 

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/16/23 12:05 a.m.

I wonder if this is specific to Android auto, because I've never had it happen with Carplay. 

Run_Away
Run_Away GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/16/23 12:23 a.m.

I'm sure Mazda is aware of the problem and is working on a software update to fix, if one doesn't exist already.

WonkoTheSane
9/16/23 12:25 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Thanks!

WonkoTheSane
9/16/23 12:26 a.m.

In reply to Run_Away :

Probably?  But one thing I learned from my decade in software development is that things are often unreported because someone else"has to have already done it.". Then the devs never hear about it...

Keith Tanner
9/16/23 1:40 a.m.

Factory service portal says that version V70.00.352 or earlier might have some spontaneous rebooting problems. Latest is V74.00.324. There's a TSB out for software updates.

maschinenbau
9/16/23 2:14 p.m.

Looks like I have 74.00.210. Dealership should update me for free under warranty right?

WonkoTheSane
9/16/23 2:14 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Thanks!

Any idea how to check which version I've got?

maschinenbau
9/16/23 3:49 p.m.

You have to go to settings, system, and find the "about" screen.

WonkoTheSane
9/16/23 5:15 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

Thanks!

WonkoTheSane
9/17/23 7:28 p.m.
maschinenbau said:

Looks like I have 74.00.210. Dealership should update me for free under warranty right?

Looks like I'm on the same. I'll call the friendly local Mazda dealer tomorrow.

NorthernCTR
NorthernCTR New Reader
9/18/23 12:36 p.m.

I have one useless thing to add for ND owners. On the miata net forum users have swapped the brain from newer Mazda6's with wireless CarPlay and it works. 

(same style radio, just the ones that has wireless CarPlay from the factory)

https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?s=b3c28bfa53c13c200031a1cc75ce7ff6&t=739206&page=4

Keith Tanner
9/18/23 12:48 p.m.

There are also supercheap knockoffs. I have no experience with them.

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-TK78-66-9U0C-Compatible-2014-2021-Supporting

WonkoTheSane
9/18/23 1:01 p.m.
NorthernCTR said:

I have one useless thing to add for ND owners. On the miata net forum users have swapped the brain from newer Mazda6's with wireless CarPlay and it works. 

(same style radio, just the ones that has wireless CarPlay from the factory)

https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?s=b3c28bfa53c13c200031a1cc75ce7ff6&t=739206&page=4

Any idea if this one is faster or there's other benefits?

maschinenbau
9/18/23 2:22 p.m.

From what I can tell, that is just an update from non-AA/CP to the system that has it. Still 6th gen MZD infotainment. The 7th gen Mazda Connect system is entirely new hardware, different screen, different knob, etc. Hopefully the community can figure out how to retrofit a newer system.

NorthernCTR
NorthernCTR New Reader
9/18/23 2:55 p.m.

Apparently the rumour mill says the ND3 might have it integrated. Time will tell ...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MLcURZwvkOaN2DIyzz0Yfo5xownSbZYsPUH0hClt1mnUTpK0rkw2OxHHOltmprhE