1 2
white_fly
white_fly New Reader
12/31/08 10:33 p.m.

I guess everyone inherits certain things from their parents. One of the things I inherited from my father is the ability to convince myself that I can do almost anything, regardless of the inconveniences of reality.

The most recent episode of my DIY exploits is painting the '04 Crown Vic I recently purchased. The car desperately needed to be repainted as the auction company had rolled on some thick paint (in the words of a friend, "that's not orange peel, it's grapefruit peel") to cover the tan paint and adhesive left over from the graphics. Something had to be done and I have neither the money or inclination to have someone else do the job right so I decided to take a trip to the library and picked up some books. George at Hong Norr also helped me out with some advice and a friend hooked me up with some tools and lots of sandpaper. Working for the past week I've removed lots of parts and gotten almost all of the black junk off. The results so far are below:

Almost everything is sanded with 320. I've learned (read: messed up) alot, but I haven't damaged anything irreparably and that is a success in itself. I'm currently thinking almost constantly about what wheels I'm going to be putting on the car, being torn between some BBS wheels, magnesium Saleen wheels and some factory Mustang fanblades as well as any number of other options out there.

But that brings us to the moral of the story. There isn't much that can't be done with a trip to the library, friends and some trial and error.

jpod999
jpod999 Reader
1/1/09 12:42 a.m.

Lot of work up to this point. Ai can haz updayts az tey cumm up?

SkinnyG
SkinnyG New Reader
1/1/09 12:43 a.m.

The spraying is really really fun. Everything else really really sucks.

G

ww
ww Dork
1/1/09 12:56 a.m.

Agreed. The actual laying down of color is the only fun part. The immense amount of sanding, wet sanding, between coats sanding is absolutely, irrepairably mind numbing.

wherethefmi2000
wherethefmi2000 Reader
1/1/09 4:33 a.m.

unless you know a guy who loves painting cars, and did it for years before getting knocked upside the head and joining the army lol.

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
1/1/09 5:19 a.m.

I hope you paint it black and tan again.

About the only muscle car I covet is a black/tan mustang coupe...just need to grow a fantastic mustache to match.

white_fly
white_fly New Reader
1/1/09 11:03 a.m.

mel_horn
mel_horn HalfDork
1/1/09 11:15 a.m.
SkinnyG wrote: The spraying is really really fun. Everything else really really sucks. G

...but if you don't do the 'everything else' right, it'll turn into a crappy paint job anyway...

ww
ww Dork
1/1/09 7:16 p.m.

Good point. The best paint will turn out crap if you don't do an even better job on the prep and sanding. Another reason why painting cars sucks. You have to work the hardest at the part that sucks the most so it'll come out looking decent.

erohslc
erohslc New Reader
1/1/09 7:31 p.m.

Looks like an ex- Florida Highway Patrol car.

+1 on Black and Tan, but be prepared to get hassled.

Carter

kabel
kabel Dork
1/1/09 9:35 p.m.

I kinda like it in it's current state!

The crash bumper looks like a bunch of mini rocket launchers

slantvaliant
slantvaliant Reader
1/1/09 9:37 p.m.
kabel wrote: The crash bumper looks like a bunch of mini rocket launchers

Hmmmm ....

dansxr2
dansxr2 New Reader
1/1/09 10:23 p.m.

Immitating a Police officer here in FL I would think would be a heafty fine, I'm in NW FL and have only lived here a little over a year, but i may be wrong... would be funny nonetheless!!!

SkinnyG
SkinnyG New Reader
1/1/09 10:59 p.m.

The only advantage of doing lots of auto body is it takes only one beer to get drunk at night.

G

Appleseed
Appleseed New Reader
1/2/09 3:13 a.m.

A good paint job is 95% prep work. Good luck on the cop car.

dansxr2 wrote: Immitating a Police officer here in FL I would think would be a heafty fine, I'm in NW FL and have only lived here a little over a year, but i may be wrong... would be funny nonetheless!!!

Tell the officer he is impersonating a civilian.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/2/09 11:21 a.m.

Looks like a lot of work and IIRC, you are about 1/16th done with sanding.

Josh
Josh Reader
1/2/09 12:09 p.m.
dansxr2 wrote: Immitating a Police officer here in FL I would think would be a heafty fine, I'm in NW FL and have only lived here a little over a year, but i may be wrong... would be funny nonetheless!!!

It doesn't seem to be a problem here in Saco, ME. The owner of a local Tattoo shop has been driving around in this beauty for several years:

http://rosebudtattoo.home.att.net/cruiserpage.htm

For reference, this is an official Saco Police vehicle:

I couldn't find a photo of one of their Impalas, but they do use them as well.

I think it's hilarious. 3 or 4 years ago, when the Saco PD changed their graphics, he got himself a new car with the new graphics :).

conedodger
conedodger None
1/2/09 1:27 p.m.

In reply to Tommy Suddard:

And if he is a real jerk about it, tell him he is impersonating a human!

Appleseed
Appleseed New Reader
1/2/09 7:04 p.m.

Impersonating a police officer is probably a felony. And if you replicate police graphics, you WILL be hassled. How much depends on how you drive, your age (cops tend to hate kids around here), and the general disposition of the officer. Be careful. Spot lights and push bars are usually enough to make the average motorist freak anyway.

white_fly
white_fly New Reader
1/2/09 7:37 p.m.

I'm trying to make the car NOT look like a cop car actually. It's going to be all black and I don't want to start a criminal record for a paint job. Spot light and push bars are off and staying off. Until I take it to a rallycross...

SkinnyG
SkinnyG New Reader
1/2/09 9:54 p.m.

Black may still look like a ghost car, or FBI or CIA or something.

Nothing says "not cop car" like a "Hooker Pink" Caprice Classic.

dansxr2
dansxr2 New Reader
1/2/09 10:10 p.m.

tell everyone you work for the NSA...Lol

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard GRM+ Member
1/2/09 10:34 p.m.

Big magnetic IRS logo.

dansxr2
dansxr2 New Reader
1/2/09 11:10 p.m.

ROFLMAO