irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/25/24 10:24 p.m.

**HDPE**

I picked up an old Hardigg equipment case for cheap to use on my 4x4 roof for all my camping equipment since it's weatherproof, indestructible, and has high volume. Anyhow, its an OD green color (surely military surplus) but am thinking about painting it a lighter color (both for looks and to keep the heat down). I know HDPE doesn't hold paint very well due to its chemical makeup, etc. but I know there are some paints out there (and adhesion promoters) that specifically say they'll work. Anyone used any particular brands that work well that can be bought at Home Depot or whatever? Right now I'm thinking of 3M adhesion promoter followed by some Krylon Fusion paint. Thoughts?

The box: 

j_tso
j_tso Dork
4/25/24 11:09 p.m.

No idea, but I think you mean HDPE

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/25/24 11:47 p.m.
j_tso said:

No idea, but I think you mean HDPE

lol, indeed

Spearfishin
Spearfishin Reader
4/26/24 6:19 a.m.

I eagerly clicked to see what such a track day equipment case might look like, haha.

I'm still interested now that I know it's plastic we're talking about, because I've never had success painting HDPE. Usually unravels starting at an edge or a corner for me after some time, even if the initial outcome seems promising. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/26/24 1:48 p.m.

When I read the title I thought "That depends on what your track day equipment case is made of" cheeky

If everything sticks equally badly maybe try Plasti-Dip? Downside is that it's kind of a fragile coating.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/26/24 2:13 p.m.

Vinyl wrap maybe?

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/26/24 11:03 p.m.

If you want to try it, scuff the whole thing with fine sandpaper or coarse steel wool, then wipe it down with acetone or Prep-sol.  Spray it with a coat or two of high-build primer.  Let the primer dry thoroughly between coats.  THEN use multiple light coats of your top coat.

But even with all that, don't get your hopes up.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
i8x52lAYWZJUYrVFxMlubF7N9DjAEWEjUaIyq7F3nvSrQxb943enZxZFA5JJByWP