David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/15/14 2:58 p.m.

Awesome.

JAhmed
JAhmed Reader
10/15/14 4:20 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
JAhmed wrote: My car is using Project Mu HC800+, which I think is 2 steps down from their most extreme pad.
Those are not race pads by any stretch of the imagination. All of those compromised street/auto-x pads are topping out about where you want to start feeling them come on like a vise. wbjones suggested Hawk DTC-60... those are a good choice as are the DTC-70. You need something with a heat range that wont cook between 800F and 1600F and when you are a noob you are going to get them too hot anyway riding the brakes so where experienced guys are looking for more brake and certain aspects of feel - you are just looking for them to survive you and still work. The pad choice is the same in both cases. A full-on no compromises racing pad compound. If you like CarboTech, give them a call and ask what you need. They make competition pads I am just not familiar with them. Also - they won't work well when cold at all so if you drive them to the track - expect to have really bad brakes. They need to be hot to work. Plus they are expensive, wear faster when cold, and eat rotors so... it's best to swap them in/out in the paddock.

Appreciate the insight! I thought that perhaps I'd try one of Carbotech's more aggressive pads at the next go around, but in speaking to people at the track and doing some research, it seems that my car could benefit quite a bit from some brake cooling as well. I still have a set of HC800+ to use up, so perhaps in the spring I will try and add cooling and see what the difference is with the same pad!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8p9nSIWb97jqgaTj3C4xl3sDujlxr9GHVc92jf4DTDgHEzKrF6oAftOUAuAeyTtn