DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/24/24 3:01 p.m.

A friend of my boss has an '08 FJ Cruiser with a TRD supercharger. Apparently it's exhibiting a knocking sound and has a vacuum leak external to the SC, probably on the outlet to intercooler.

Said friend of friend is not a mechanic and will not be taking this on himself. I am not local to him and am not involved beyond trying to find him a shop to take on the repair work. His location is Portland, OR. The only shop I know of who would be remotely interested and qualified is no longer in the area. Does anyone on the forum have a good shop in the Portland area you could recommend to take this on?

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/24/24 3:19 p.m.

The knocking sound is hopefully the connector piece in the shaft. It is a plastic disk with holes in either side connecting the input shaft to the internals.  It is the piece under the bottle of oil in the photo.   This is a known failure/ware item in these.

Rebuilding these things is rather simple with some basic tools.  Where it gets dicy is if there is damage to the impellers.

Your friend may want to look for rebuild shops and either send there unit off for a rebuild or see if some place does it on a core replacement basis.

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/24/24 4:51 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

I did some poking around on that website (SCOL) just to learn what I could. That coupler is what I thought the knocking noise would most likely be, but going off 2nd-hand hearsay, I can't make any assumptions. The owner apparently doesn't have any mechanical ability, so we're trying to find him a local shop so he can drop the vehicle off and pick it up when it's fixed.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NAuRXeAZ8low1NTOWBbiifilbRgS2RwyoTimRmyrViKYVQA2OylryHEQqS81FjXC