1 2
16vCorey
16vCorey PowerDork
12/8/21 12:01 a.m.

Ok hive mind, I'm the service manager of a 15 person department of technicians that mainly specialize in forklift repair. We do a little bit of everything, but we're a Hyster dealer so that's our bread and butter. We've had a pretty exhausting year, so im wanting to get my team a little something extra that they can actually use. Can you think of a tool that can be universally used and appreciated, that would hopefully fall in the $20-$40 range? Our guys range from PM techs (mostly oil changes and lubrication), to diesel techs, to your basic LP 4 cylinder, to guys that specialize in electric equipment, and everything in between. We also service all sorts of personell carriers and boom/scissor lifts. In other words, it's pretty varied. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
12/8/21 12:34 a.m.

Who doesn't like a multi-tool.

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) UberDork
12/8/21 1:38 a.m.

A company-engraved bottle opener, and a case of their favourite sustenance in bottles.

"Beer - the layman's currency."

EDT (Forum Supporter)
EDT (Forum Supporter) Reader
12/8/21 1:59 a.m.

MagPad pocket pad (or bigger)

I wrench for a couple of kart race teams and another mechanic showed me these as a bit of a joke, so of course I had to buy one. It's a couple of super strong magnets embedded in a thin, flexible pad of foam rubber. I thought it would be silly, but I now regularly drop tools and hardware that I've gotten so used to just sticking to my pocket. It's amazing and has held up incredibly well. I can comfortable hang a 3/8 ratchet plus a couple small things or a whole mess of Allen wrenches without worry that they'll fall, even through thick pants.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
12/8/21 2:24 a.m.

A good small LED flashlight is can be rather useful for most.

I like the magnet thing above. I won't buy one, but I do have a rather large rare earth magnet that I will try putting in my packet next time I need to do some cordless drill/screw work.

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
12/8/21 7:09 a.m.

Nice flashlight or an all weather/Fisher Space Pen. Never a such thing as too many pens or lights.

No Time
No Time SuperDork
12/8/21 7:21 a.m.

I've been looking at these for a while and think it could be handy:

I also find the magnetic trays from HF to be useful for holding nuts and bolts when disassembling something. 

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
12/8/21 7:21 a.m.

I have been obsessed with these $20 LED work lights that Lowes sells. Love them.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/8/21 7:51 a.m.

Please don't give alcohol as a gift to people you don't know well.  Not everyone drinks and some of us can't.  You could easily be giving booze to a recovering alcoholic.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
12/8/21 7:57 a.m.

A pair of crisp $20's is exactly $40, they fit everyone, and there is little risk of it being re-gifted.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/8/21 8:17 a.m.

These are awesome and about $30 at HF. Streamlight also makes one that is even awesomer but is about $75.

Link

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
12/8/21 8:39 a.m.

Gift card from a local pizza shop, everyone gets free lunch once in a while.

therieldeal
therieldeal Reader
12/8/21 8:44 a.m.

One thing to consider is that if you buy some sort of mechanic's tool, there's a good chance at least a some of the guys will already own one.

Looks like you're in Indiana... it gets cold there, like here in New England.  Can't go wrong with some sort of cold weather gear like insulated work gloves, flannel lined jeans, company-logo hoodie sweatshirts, etc. 

Example: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SV7A3SI/ref=twister_B097XGTRXN?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Will require a little bit of legwork to figure out everyone's size, but you bet they will get used.  Plus, these things wear out so even if they already have some, extras will always be more useful than a duplicate/triplicate tool in their toolbox.  Just my opinion as a person with multiple gifted pass-through ratchet/socket sets in the bottom of my toolbox smiley

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
12/8/21 9:40 a.m.

My son got a set of these a few months back.  They are incredibly handy to have and collapse flat when not in use (or even when in use).  He stores his in the underside of his toolbox top.  Kinda one of those things that even if someone on the staff already has one, they can always use more. 

https://www.amazon.com/EZRED-EZR-BCK18-EZTRAY-Collapsible-Parts/dp/B07RXGR7TZ

-Rob

newrider3
newrider3 HalfDork
12/8/21 9:46 a.m.

3M WorkTunes Connect - hearing protection with built-in Bluetooth headphones. I've been using the everloving E36 M3 out of these anytime I'm wrenching. $40

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/cbgnawus1754/

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/8/21 10:21 a.m.
Toyman! said:

These are awesome and about $30 at HF. Streamlight also makes one that is even awesomer but is about $75.

Link

This is where my thoughts went immediately. I've already got 3, if someone handed me a fourth I'd be happy and it would get used. 

drock25too
drock25too GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/8/21 10:32 a.m.
therieldeal said:

One thing to consider is that if you buy some sort of mechanic's tool, there's a good chance at least a some of the guys will already own one.

Looks like you're in Indiana... it gets cold there, like here in New England.  Can't go wrong with some sort of cold weather gear like insulated work gloves, flannel lined jeans, company-logo hoodie sweatshirts, etc. 

Example: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SV7A3SI/ref=twister_B097XGTRXN?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Will require a little bit of legwork to figure out everyone's size, but you bet they will get used.  Plus, these things wear out so even if they already have some, extras will always be more useful than a duplicate/triplicate tool in their toolbox.  Just my opinion as a person with multiple gifted pass-through ratchet/socket sets in the bottom of my toolbox smiley

As a Yale forklift mechanic myself,  I  second the cold weather gear. A couple of Christmases ago our manager gave us all  Frogg Toggs. They sure help out when your stuck outside in the  rain.

drock25too
drock25too GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/8/21 10:38 a.m.
APEowner said:

Please don't give alcohol as a gift to people you don't know well.  Not everyone drinks and some of us can't.  You could easily be giving booze to a recovering alcoholic.

I totally agee with this.  My son is trying to get his E36 M3 together after years of alcohol abuse.  He's one of those guys, who can't drink one beer and walk away.  If he pops the top on one, he's going to end up hammered and probably in jail.  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/8/21 10:43 a.m.

Socks.  Sure, it's sometimes seen as a Christmas joke gift but these are guys on their feet all day.  What's a good sock for that environment?  

Another shared personal philosophy...I always buy socks in pairs of 3 (minimum).  That is, 3 exactly identical pairs in the identical color.  The reason being that if I loose one sock (which seems to often happen) the remaining 5 socks can always be sure to provide me with 2 pairs.

$40 / 3 pair would have you shopping socks for less than $13 each.  

I have no personal experience with their socks but everything I've gotten from Duluth seems to be a good build quality. 

benzbaronDaryn
benzbaronDaryn SuperDork
12/8/21 12:23 p.m.

A cushioned kneel work pad to kneel down on when you are cursing working on forklifts.  I have an ergo kneel and use it constantly.  

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/8/21 12:36 p.m.

Duralast makes an assortment of 10mm sockets. 

Or one of the match the thread pitch accessory "chains" 

gearheadmb
gearheadmb UltraDork
12/8/21 5:51 p.m.

Rechargeable pocket flashlight any mechanic would be glad to have it and would use it.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/8/21 6:31 p.m.
drock25too said:
APEowner said:

I totally agee with this.  My son is trying to get his E36 M3 together after years of alcohol abuse.  He's one of those guys, who can't drink one beer and walk away.  If he pops the top on one, he's going to end up hammered and probably in jail.  

By the same token though, not everyone is the same and I can be bribed with good scotch.

I do agree you need to know them though.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/8/21 6:34 p.m.
gearheadmb said:

Rechargeable pocket flashlight any mechanic would be glad to have it and would use it.

This is my vote too,everyone needs to see

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/8/21 7:02 p.m.
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:
drock25too said:
APEowner said:

By the same token though, not everyone is the same and I can be bribed with good scotch.

I do agree you need to know them though.

A well chosen adult beverage is an excellent gift under the right circumstances.  In this case however, I really like the fancy flashlight idea.  that's something everyone can use and even if they have one exactly like it another is always welcome.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2zlP8zpokW3aNNjVKYqxhYZEscMhJ7zCzB3lm0tk8s2ppm0UdZnhAudtA1UqWEOZ