1 ... 4 5 6
yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/11/18 3:09 p.m.
Xceler8x said:
frenchyd said:

In reply to Xceler8x :

In the Jaguar world such things are called lumps. They are done by and for people who simply have no understanding or knowledge of how wonderful Jaguars are with their original engines.  

Lumps? I had no idea. I was just thinking "If this guy wants to race reliably and inexpensively there's another way to skin this cat." Cat pun definitely intended. 

Lumping a Jaguar with some crate motor or one out of a truck as compared to the original v12 means you will need to compromise on not just originality but power torque and durability.  

Replacing a Jag V12 with a SBC means compromising on power, torque, and durability? When going from a Jag V12 to a small block chevy? Have you been talking to Bizarro Superman lately? 

Jaguar finished and won overall many races at LeMans 24 hour classic long before Chevrolet finally was able to get their Corvette to finish.  

If you had Jaguar factory support I'm sure this problem would be merely academic. Are you secretly a Jaguar factory driver and we don't know this?! 

As to power?  The V12 was making 750 horsepower on the watered down fuel the French  use for the 24 hour race. 

On the high octane we use here in America 850 horsepower is available.  Not with some exotic limited availability special race only piece. But using mostly all factory parts. 

NASCAR  is the classic example. There is only one gasket in a “stock car”  engine that is an actual production piece the rest are race only.  So to call it a Chevrolet is foolish  

Besides. Pushrods are things for little boys to play with. 

Apples to oranges comparison here. We aren't talking about whether NASCAR is a viable racing series, the merits of pushrod engines, or providing proof of 850hp from a Jag motor. If you want to do some hot laps in your car with your stated goals I'm thinking turbo'ing your car is going to be an expensive, time-intensive, development program. If that's what you want then go and have fun!  Some people think it's super fun to get kicked in the nuts so who am I to judge? Please keep us updated. 

Here are my recommendations:

• Use Ford Ecoboost turbos. There are two on each Ecoboost F150 or Taurus SHO. One stop shop for them. They are small but make 365hp on those motors. Turbo lag will be a myth with these units. They are modern high-quality pieces. 
  • Air to air intercooler is the way to go. Use an intake air temp sensor. Run megasquirt as I doubt anyone makes a piggyback for this application. Jag V12 **OFFICIAL** megasquirt thread from JaguarForums.com.
  • Electronic boost control is very simple to implement if you're running megasquirt. Boost control at DIY AutoTune. That or just use an adjustable wastegate controller
  • Get a wideband exhaust sensor to tune with. You'll probably need two since you're going twins.
  • I'm not sure how you're going to mount your turbos. If you're mounting directly to the exhaust manifolds you'll want Stage 8 locking nuts and iconel studs. I'd recommend having a V-band connection on the outlet side. Then again you mentioned shoving them into the fenders. 
  • Custom exhaust of course but you'll need that considering you want it to exit under the car and behind the driver. 
  • Since you're making a lot more hp I'd recommend upgrading your cooling sys. Here's something called the Cat Cooler. Supposedly a "super duty" rad for Jag V12's.
  • You haven't talked about a trans option yet. If it's a manual you'll need a higher clamping force clutch. If it's an auto I'm sure you've thought of a way to keep that from blowing up at race pace. 

I see that you're an Ubedork, have you missed every Jaguar thread posted on this forum in the past few years? cheeky

frenchyd
frenchyd SuperDork
4/11/18 3:44 p.m.

In reply to Xceler8x : I raced a Jaguar since  my first one in 1972.  My last I owned from 1975 to 2012  (I worked on it as a 14 year old kid) I raced that car all over the country. Winning some very major events. Including beating some very famous names. That on a budget that wouldn’t keep my competitors in shoes.

I raced it as many as 11 races a year with no DNFs. Other  than a couple of freshenings it was pretty much as I built it.  Stock crank,  stock rods, one set of forged pistons,  etc  excellent reliability.  The pieces inside a Jaguar are fantastic quality. Durable as heck.  

My next race car I paid $500 for a rust free XJS V12.  I’ll get it out on the track well under my $5000 budget. I’m hoping closer to $3500.  

My horsepower goal will be over 500 horsepower on an engine I’ll have under $500 and some of my off the shelf pieces.  The transmission will be a Saenz 5 speed dog ring quick change gear set. Triple disk Tilton clutch  with s button flywheel I have sitting on a shelf 

Weight  goal will be 2800 pounds dry.  I’m getting pretty old so I don’t expect this to go to more than one race a year.  Plus at my age kids in their 40’s and 50’s will likely be a lot more aggressive than I am.  Thus winning isn’t a realistic goal.  Besides whatever events I run at will have to accept a car that complies with nobodies rules.  Well,  except for safety equipment. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/11/18 4:08 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Just wanted you to know that every time you start a Jaguar V12 thread I start getting crazy ideas of running one in the Challenge. Just don't know what I'd run it in .

frenchyd
frenchyd SuperDork
4/11/18 7:28 p.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to frenchyd :

Just wanted you to know that every time you start a Jaguar V12 thread I start getting crazy ideas of running one in the Challenge. Just don't know what I'd run it in .

It’s too wide and heavy to do well 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/11/18 8:20 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Who said anything about doing well?  I'm all about the style points. 

frenchyd
frenchyd SuperDork
4/12/18 6:28 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Well said. 

How far are you from the Challenge? If you want I’ll show you how and what to do to build it under the challenge budget ceiling. 

I’d do it myself but the cost of travel there and back would break my racing budget for a few years.  

There was a MGA shell  that the owner just wanted it gone. Plus I’ve seen damaged XJR’s sell for real cheap.  Now something like that could be done under the budget and actually stand a chance of doing well.  

whiskey_business
whiskey_business GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/12/18 6:56 a.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Frenchy, I've got some pretty awesome new-in-box turbos for right around pull-a-part price. Not sure if they'll fit the bill, but shoot me a PM. I like your idea enough to cut you a deal.

frenchyd
frenchyd SuperDork
4/14/18 3:39 a.m.
Gasoline said:

Any suggestions on 2 "junkyard turbos" for a 4.8l ls?  I was thinking about 2.3l Ford, but there may be better options to look at the pull-a-part for?   Challenge car cheap.  Thanks in advance.  T

Challenge car cheap is what I’ve been looking for too! Your choices seem to be a pair off of just about any 4 cylinder with various advocates speaking for each.  

I like Saab’s because I usually found them in good shape and they are easy to pull.  Some cars like Volvo and various German cars take a long time to extract. 

My simple test to see if a turbo is OK is to give it a spin. Then using a magic marker I mark one blade and where it stops on the housing. Then spin it again if it stops at about the same spot or abruptly I forget that one and look for another.  I’ll double and triple check the spin test a few times before taking it to the counter to pay for it. 

1 ... 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CQcFG1diupQ7G3L0up8KKImvcGr3CsmBb5QN3TJodPg2Hx3K2mMfYUY7WRNgMyqw