neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
6/2/10 12:14 a.m.

The rear struts are starting to go on my '98 Neon R/T and I'm looking at my replacment options. I really want to pick up yellow Konis, but would they be over-kill, overly harsh on a DD. And they cost about 4X as some Monroes or KYBs.

Thoughts?

mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
6/2/10 2:22 a.m.

Koni Str.t, or whatever they call them? I think that they are still 25% off at The Tire Rack.

Buzz Killington
Buzz Killington Reader
6/2/10 8:09 a.m.
mistanfo wrote: Koni Str.t, or whatever they call them? I think that they are still 25% off at The Tire Rack.

this. had them on my miata after i removed the autoX suspension, and i really liked 'em.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Dork
6/2/10 9:17 a.m.
Buzz Killington wrote:
mistanfo wrote: Koni Str.t, or whatever they call them? I think that they are still 25% off at The Tire Rack.
this. had them on my miata after i removed the autoX suspension, and i really liked 'em.

What would you consider them to be similar to? Only guy I've talked to that seemed like he would have any clue of what he was talking about and any chance of actual experience with them said they were about on par with Sensatracs. So by that, either monroes are better than people give them credit for, or the new Konis just aren't that great of a damper.

Buzz Killington
Buzz Killington Reader
6/2/10 10:46 a.m.

never used Sensatracs so I can't speak to them.

personally, i don't think Sports are overkill on a DD, and if not turned all the way up, they aren't particularly harsh either...but shocks are obviously a very subjective thing. that said, the STR.Ts seemed to be better than OE or KYB GR-2s i've used...better damping than either of those but not up to Sport level.

the Konis were $50/corner, so i wasn't expecting them to be Motons. all i can say is that they worked pretty well for the money.

Lugnut
Lugnut HalfDork
6/2/10 11:04 a.m.

I have STR.Ts on my Miata. I'd say they compare to the GR-2. They're a little softer than the Racing Beat springs on my car - if you're running stock or close to stock springs on the Neon I bet you'll love them.

MrMook
MrMook New Reader
6/2/10 11:10 a.m.

I'm also looking at the STR-T's for my Golf. The way I see it, you can't beat the price (gotta pull the trigger before the sale ends), and since they'll be seeing 97% daily driver duty, I'm not looking for anything mindblowing. Just something that will hold up to a range of springs.

Matt B
Matt B Reader
6/2/10 11:12 a.m.

Personally, I don't feel yellows are too harsh for daily driving. I ran them with stock springs on my AW11 and they only became "borderline" when cranked all the way up. I like the yellows valving quite a bit. Just as their marketing material says, they do seem to be fairly digressive. At least compared to my buddy's Tokico Illuminas. They definitely have more low-speed damping than the Illuminas on the softer settings.

Are they overkill? I'd let your budget determine that.

I don't know the accuracy of this statement, but internetz hearsay says that the STR.T are valved like a yellow on full soft. Dunno. I'm tempted to call Koni.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/2/10 8:13 p.m.

Koni Yellows. I've got the FSDs on my DD and they don't have enough rebound damping.

I never had any complaints in MR2s with Koni yellows.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
6/2/10 8:57 p.m.

the 'Rack doesn't list STR.Ts for the neon, only Yellows.

Matt B
Matt B Reader
6/3/10 7:47 a.m.

Sounds like a good excuse to buy the yellows.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jh6iBDnY7R0EoFEwncfNDT9Wi2V7EK1NglQGokcchby3FBSAbkhsKBfwqBpwhosQ