ojannen
ojannen HalfDork
3/4/24 5:18 p.m.

I had a great time attending my first Rolex 24 in January and decided to take my five year old to Sebring next weekend.  Any recommendations on what I shouldn't miss while I am there?

I am aware that a 5 year old isn't going to last all day.  We are hoping to get a paddock walk in, spend some time on the turn 17 grandstand, and some time on the hairpin grandstand.  The carnival on the front straight looks like a good time too.

How well do viewing mounds work for someone who is three and a half feet tall?  I have run track days at Sebring a few times but I have never noticed the raised areas.

Is there any way to get into the area north of the turn 3-5 complex without a half-mile one way walk?

Any recommendations on where to watch the start?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/4/24 8:12 p.m.

The MX-5 Cup races are pretty awesome.

I have been going to Sebring since I was a kid. Good stuff that I would expect to see again this year, includes:

Fan Walk on pit lane prior to the 12 Hour race, and autograph sessions in paddock

Watching race cars being prepared, or repaired, in the paddock

Family area outside Big Bend (Turn 6) with viewing mound and playground equipment. I think the viewing mounds would be fine for a kid, since I see people watching the race while sitting on the ground there.

Car corrals: Porsche, BMW and Corvette Corrals, plus a Mustang Corral this year

Chevrolet and Cadillac exhibits, often with the opportunity to test drive a new car on site

Other new car manufacturers' exhibits, with free T-shirts, etc.

Classic car display inside the hotel.

Night racing at the Hairpin (Turn 7)

Fireworks at race end

New: Viewing mound outside Turn 17, offering a view down the backstretch

Like many road races, it is nice to move around to view from different locations.

At the start, be at the start. Pit straight or Turn One.

The free shuttle is nice for getting around, and offers a restful break from walking. See the course map brochure for routes.

Make sure everyone has ear plugs, sun protection and water. Sebring in March is usually much warmer than Daytona in January.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KWjg90MbdMjW5OVRmKiQCb1pJJK0fkTz378XKHsigEWB6NrsCpBF7u39gCPCL3dV