1 2
jonnyd330
jonnyd330 Reader
10/2/12 7:30 a.m.

I know this topic has been covered a lot but I counldn't sleep last night and my mind wandered to getting a Boxster w/ a blown engine. I am just trying to figure out how much custom hardware would need to be created so i can either talk myself into it or out of it.

I came across a company website that has a NASA TTS boxster w/ a turbo subaru but looks like they don't have a kit.

This is the stuff I thought of last night: 1. custom motor mounts 2. radiator mounts 3. intercooler mounting location and how to get airflow to it 4. connection between the sub transmission and porsche driveshaft 5. exhaust, header, etc?

I am sure I am missing a lot, what else would be needed?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/2/12 7:39 a.m.

I'm pretty sure that the Subaru starter mounts to the transmission and the Boxster starter mounts to the engine.

Woody
10/2/12 7:40 a.m.

Lookie here:

http://www.precisionchassisworks.com/boxstersubaru-engine-conversion.html

jonnyd330
jonnyd330 Reader
10/2/12 8:02 a.m.

custom motor mounts radiator mounts intercooler mounting location and how to get airflow to it exhaust, header, etc? connection between the sub transmission and porsche driveshaft starter mount

I am trying to get number lists to work for me, i don't know why I always have a problem with this.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/2/12 8:50 a.m.

Wow... This...

Type Q
Type Q Dork
10/2/12 9:57 a.m.

Why would you need custom radiator mounts? Wouldn't you use the Porsche cooling system?

precisionchassis
precisionchassis New Reader
10/2/12 6:48 p.m.
  • You use the stock Boxster cooling system. It's more than adequate, even on the base models that only have 2 radiators
  • You CAN use the stock Subaru turbo exhaust manifolds. It's just a matter of some custom exhaust plumbing to the turbo from there
  • The intercooler for a street car would be an air/water type and would be located in the rear trunk. No direct air flow needed for the intercooler itself. The factory center radiator up in the front is used as a heat exchanger.
  • The adapter kit DOES exist to mate a Subaru engine to a Boxster 5 or 6 speed transaxle, and so does the engine mounting system. You use stock Boxster axle shafts.

Sounds like I need to update the web site with some more current information. There are two "street versions" of the conversion happening right now in-house and the finished products will be a representation of the kit that will be sold.

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
10/2/12 7:43 p.m.

Thanks for dropping by to tell us some more info

Are there any build threads or built cars we can check out?

precisionchassis
10/2/12 11:06 p.m.

In reply to Jaynen:

There are a few build threads.

This one is for the "test car" http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2047734

This one is for the "street cars" http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2413682&highlight=boxster

This one is for the Radical SR3 that we built. It's relivent because it uses the same adapter kit and Boxster 6 speed transaxle. http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2373661&highlight=boxster

Flight Service
Flight Service UltraDork
10/2/12 11:14 p.m.

Any time line till production and pricing?

precisionchassis
10/2/12 11:19 p.m.

In reply to Flight Service:

I'll be updating the web site in the next day or so, but in the meantime, you can send me an email for pricing information

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/23/16 3:52 p.m.

Zombie thread! Precision doesn't make this kit any more. Does anyone else? Anyone have a spare one sitting around their basement?

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/23/16 3:56 p.m.

did you email them? probably fab the hardware for you, if they are still in business they are a fab shop that tried to do a kit.

Kreb
3/23/16 5:35 p.m.

In reply to Flight Service:

They said that they'd sold out and didn't intend to make any more. I asked if they'd sell me the plans and they haven't responded yet.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/23/16 8:36 p.m.
noddaz wrote:

Why are there two wastegates but only one turbo?

kb58
kb58 Dork
3/23/16 9:01 p.m.

Twin-scroll setup. Reduces lag and improves transient response.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/23/16 9:14 p.m.

They call them the 917 now

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/23/16 9:17 p.m.
Kreb wrote: In reply to Flight Service: They said that they'd sold out and didn't intend to make any more. I asked if they'd sell me the plans and they haven't responded yet.

that sounds like a very odd response. they have everything set up (either in house or through vendors) and can quote what they want being it is out of service.

I know there was something up with the end result, I saw it on another forum somewhere, you might want to search for it.

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs Dork
3/23/16 9:58 p.m.

I was so pumped about this kit.

kb58
kb58 Dork
3/23/16 11:31 p.m.

There's an opportunity for some motivated person.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/28/16 8:10 a.m.

any news?

liqtor
liqtor
4/7/16 1:36 p.m.

I got the same reply from Precision, other people are willing to make a kit but as of right now its all 1 off type things. I did find out that gtraceparts@gmail.com is looking to offer a kit. I don't know how far off his kit is, if anyone has better information let us know.

Woody
4/7/16 1:39 p.m.

canoe

Happy Carmore
Happy Carmore MegaDork
4/7/16 2:36 p.m.
Woody wrote: canoe

Zoombie canoe?

Kreb
4/7/16 3:35 p.m.

If I can't find one already commercially available, I intend to make my own sometime in the next year. If it makes sense to, I'll market it. But I suspect that it won't be (people get paid too much where I live)

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
k6YNHMdqmVKCZ4x8AwMhnuYqsceNpOXLCU3XVt0YhqJdrlDLRL6wKGSLzwmavpSh