Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
5/28/24 11:34 a.m.
feature_image

For the first time, the Porsche 911 can now be had with as a hybrid, starting with the 2025 911 GTS.

First off, the electrified GTS is powered by a new, turbocharged, 3.6-liter flat-six rated at 478 horsepower and 420 lb.-ft. of torque. Combined with the new T-Hybrid powertrain–more on that in a second–the total output is 532 horsepower and …

Read the rest of the story

Colin Wood
5/28/24 11:54 a.m.

I get way more excited than I should when they include technical diagrams/drawings/images.

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/28/24 12:10 p.m.

I love it, I wouldn't want to own it long term and maintain it though. 

I guess we shouldn't be surprised Porsche did their own thing here to push the performance of the car in every way. It will be interesting to see how this all affects fuel economy but the fact they are still talking about the track is great.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/28/24 12:12 p.m.

that looks like a very small battery pack for the hybrid system... based on the drawing?

which probably is why there's no "electric-only range" listed... on top of the whole 40kW is probably not enough to move a 3500# 911 very fast/far anyhow.

I assume there's a different 911 trim in Europe that can get ~15miles of EV range, so they can get in/out of cities?

Colin Wood
5/28/24 12:19 p.m.

In reply to sleepyhead the buffalo :

Just went back through the release to make sure I didn't miss anything. I'm not seeing an EV range mentioned, but I wouldn't be surprised if that changes in the future with a new model or something.

As far as the battery, here's what Porsche says:

Both the electrically driven turbocharger as well as the electric motor housed in the transmission are paired with a light and compact high-voltage battery. Its size and weight are comparable to a conventional 12-volt AGM starter battery, but it can retain up to 1.9 kWh of energy (gross) and operates at 400 volts and is located under the front hood where the previous 12 volt battery was located. To optimize weight distribution, the 12 volt battery is a lightweight lithium-ion battery located behind the parcel shelf in the rear.

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) UltimaDork
5/28/24 12:23 p.m.

I'm super excited to check it out.  For me, the GTS is the sweet spot of the 992 line up.  You get stunning performance with a price tag a bit less eye watering than the Turbo or GT3.  The hybrid allows you to still get the Porsche boxer sound and fury and also get the seamless shove of electric.  Fuel mileage?  Who cares... it's a 911!!

Colin Wood
5/28/24 12:50 p.m.

In reply to SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) :

Speaking of price tags, here's the prices for the 2025 lineup:

• 2025 Porsche 911 Carrera: $120,100
  • 2025 Porsche 911 Carrera Cabriolet: $133,400
  • 2025 Porsche 911 Carrera GTS: $164,900
  • 2025 Porsche 911 Carrera GTS Cabriolet: $178,200
  • 2025 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS: $172,700
  • 2025 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet: $186,000
  • 2025 Porsche 911 Targa 4 GTS: $186,000
  • 2025 Porsche 911 Turbo: $197,200
  • 2025 Porsche 911 Turbo Cabriolet: $210,000
  • 2025 Porsche 911 Turbo S: $230,400
  • 2025 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabriolet: $243,200
  • 2025 Porsche 911 GT3 RS: $241,300

It's also worth pointing out that the current 911 Turbo, Turbo S and GT3 RS models will continue to be sold through 2025.

nderwater
nderwater MegaDork
5/28/24 1:22 p.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

HNNNNNNG | Know Your Meme

DavyZ
DavyZ Reader
5/28/24 1:42 p.m.

Apologies that I am looking at costs, but seeing that nice bit of kit (and I do mean the turbocharger with integrated electric motor), I wonder what one of those units will run if you had to replace it when out of warranty?  My guess: A WHOLE LOT.  The tech is really cool, however, especially if it is reliable and has some longevity.  

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
5/28/24 2:16 p.m.

Some interesting tech. I read something else earlier that states that none of the new models currently have a manual listed as an option. Is that correct? (Sans the 911 Turbo/S and GT3 RS from the outgoing gen) 

Colin Wood
5/28/24 2:33 p.m.

In reply to DirtyBird222 :

No mention of a manual option in the press release I'm looking at, though does refer to the PDK being fitted as standard equipment–as in, this is what we're going to put on the car unless you option for a manual:

The new 2025 911 Carrera is available to order now as a Coupe or Cabriolet with rear-wheel drive. Additionally, the 2025 911 Carrera GTS is also available as a rear and  all-wheel drive model (911 Carrera GTS and 911 Carrera 4 GTS) in Coupe or Cabriolet form, and as a Targa variant (exclusively available with all-wheel drive). Both powertrains are fitted with PDK as standard. Deliveries of the new 2025 911 Carrera models to U.S. Porsche Centers are expected to start in the fall, and at the end of 2024 for the 911 Carrera GTS models. The current 911 Turbo, Turbo S and GT3 RS models will continue to be offered for the 2025 model year, with pricing unchanged for these variants. The full list of Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Pricing (MSRP) for the 2025 Porsche 911 model range is listed below. MSRP does not include tax, title, registration, dealer charges or a $1,995 delivery, processing and handling fee.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
5/28/24 2:50 p.m.

Cool thanks for the info! Not that I can really afford any of those models at this juncture in my life however; I am at the moment, still a Porsche fan because they offer that third pedal on some models. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
5/28/24 2:57 p.m.

They have an exclusive license to the turbo technology for a few years. After that your going to see it everywhere I imagine. 

I have no idea how fast the "turbo s" is going to be in 2026 but my god is this guys fast enough to make me think it's actually priced reasonably. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
5/28/24 5:18 p.m.

Ok properly spec'd your looking at 175-195K which is pushing it. You can get a 2023 leftover exclusives tubo S right now for around 210K. 2019-2022 GT3 RS cars in good spec are around 210-220 as well. In fact there is a lizard green 2019 locally around 225 with all the bells and whistles. 

Look I love 911's and have had six of them but looking at the specs there is nothing this does above a base car for street use. 

J_D
J_D New Reader
5/28/24 5:44 p.m.

Very nice. Porsche knows how to make a sports car

theruleslawyer
theruleslawyer Reader
5/28/24 7:26 p.m.
sleepyhead the buffalo said:

that looks like a very small battery pack for the hybrid system... based on the drawing?

which probably is why there's no "electric-only range" listed... on top of the whole 40kW is probably not enough to move a 3500# 911 very fast/far anyhow.

I assume there's a different 911 trim in Europe that can get ~15miles of EV range, so they can get in/out of cities?

Savage geese had a good tech interview. They confirmed no ev range. However the battery is good enough to do a lap of the nurburgring without depleting. I wonder what that means for 20-30 sessions at hpde?

Either way this car screams 'lease' to me. I would not want to deal with that complexity out of warranty at porsche prices. 

sleepyhead the buffalo
5/28/24 8:53 p.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

1.9kWh is a lot better than I expected, especially for the size represented in that graphic.  It looks like it's half the size of a 2G-4G Prius NiMH pack, with double the capacity.  Although, they're probably limiting it to 80% usable, so ~1.52kWh... which would be 2mins at 40kW (best case).  I really doubt the 40kW motor has enough oomph, though to move the car on its own.

sleepyhead the buffalo
5/28/24 9:02 p.m.
theruleslawyer said:

Savage geese had a good tech interview. They confirmed no ev range. However the battery is good enough to do a lap of the nurburgring without depleting. I wonder what that means for 20-30 sessions at hpde?

Nordschleife is ~13miles.  So, if you're at "most" of the Alan Wilson tracks of 1.6-1.7miles, then you'll be able to pull ~7.5laps.  VIR (Full, at 3.27miles) would mean  ~4 laps.  I suspect, though, it'd be better than that with the extended brake zone into Oak Tree... and that before trying strategies to be able to stretch that out and get a full session (by braking earlier into T1, or at the end of the back straight).

I'm also only going by what I'm seeing here... so I don't know the deployment strategy on the 40kW motor... it might be restricted to certain RPMS as "fill", so it might not be used at full chat for the full rpm range (and thus lap)?

also, keep in mind, they've been mucking around with this stuff off/on for ~15years on 911s (with nothing to say of the 919, the 963, and all the other road-going hybrids they've made over the years).

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) UltimaDork
5/28/24 9:06 p.m.
DirtyBird222 said:

Cool thanks for the info! Not that I can really afford any of those models at this juncture in my life however; I am at the moment, still a Porsche fan because they offer that third pedal on some models. 

I have to say that as much as I enjoy three pedals, if I were buying a new P car I would go PDK without hesitation.  It's just that good.  You loose performance and smoothness with the manual.  If I want manual control I'll paddle it, they are fantastic too.  Almost all my guests who ever tried the manual asked to switch to PDK after a bit.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QCR71oHLC4G0eQQ2RbteU5A4bPfxHzX4FoxPqcVszGeVTGxfZzZGNABeOnCWlFgy