Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/4/18 11:39 a.m.

996s have a reputation for running hot.

I read that the 996/997s are bad for hoovering debris between the radiator and condenser.

Pulled my front bumper cover to take a peek:

The bottom 2-3" of each radiator was completely full of sand/soil/compost.  A broken bottle, dead bird, and a couple of Pall Malls.  

If you buy a 996, put this job up near the top of the list.  

Edit:. Also reroute the manual frunk release that is tucked behind the bumper to the tow hook receptacle.  Then, if the battery fails, you can actually open the frunk to replace it.

PMRacing
PMRacing GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/4/18 11:41 a.m.

My dad did the same thing with his 987 Cayman S.  His was just as bad.  

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
7/4/18 3:42 p.m.

Gnarly. indecision

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/4/18 4:42 p.m.

A Porsche with a radiator......  weird.....

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/4/18 7:26 p.m.

Good thing you caught that.  Now, how do you prevent it from happening again?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/4/18 7:32 p.m.
noddaz said:

Concours!

buzzboy
buzzboy Reader
7/4/18 7:44 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

All the best Porsches do wink

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
7/4/18 8:41 p.m.

I'm always fascinated by the pillow that forms between the condenser and rad.  I presume the trash has enough inertia to get through the first, but not the second.

Apis Mellifera
Apis Mellifera HalfDork
7/4/18 9:16 p.m.

Mine weren’t that bad, but close.  I had cigarette butts too. I cleaned both sides, added a center radiator, and the cooler thermostat. Now instead of just touching the 0 in 180, the temp gauge is just passed center of the 8 (not a lot of difference). 

Tyler H
7/5/18 8:12 a.m.
Apis Mellifera said:

Mine weren’t that bad, but close.  I had cigarette butts too. I cleaned both sides, added a center radiator, and the cooler thermostat. Now instead of just touching the 0 in 180, the temp gauge is just passed center of the 8 (not a lot of difference). 

Stock gauge is damped non-linear.  Looking at Durametric, the needle between 8 and 0 was anywhere from 195 to 220 degrees for me.  The low temp thermostat reduced my temps around 5 degrees.  I'm hoping this is good for another 5 degrees or so.  :)

Streetwiseguy said:

I'm always fascinated by the pillow that forms between the condenser and rad.  I presume the trash has enough inertia to get through the first, but not the second.

The air inlets fit tight to the radiator, but not the condenser.  Stuff that goes in has nowhere to go, so it eventually get sucked between the two. 

aircooled said:

They all have radiators, some are just oil-filled. ;)

noddaz said:

I'm going to do my best to add some rubber marbles to the mix.  Maybe that will plug up the gaps.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/6/18 9:13 a.m.
aircooled said:

I know, right? smiley

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
7/7/18 12:30 p.m.
noddaz said:

Hire an F1 team pit crew to reach in there during each gas stop? laugh

Tyler H
7/8/18 9:20 a.m.
AnthonyGS said:

I should do this to my 996 when changing the cats next weekend.  Any how to out there for pulling the bumper cover?

There are some how-tos on youtube.  

Start by pulling the corner lights out...pull from the wheel side and they will pop out.  

There are two visible phillips head screws behind the corner markers.  There is a third that is vertical behind the fender that you can't see, so next remove the plastic fender liner rivets -- three of them.  You don't have to pull the liner, you just need a little give so that you can get a screwdriver behind them.

There is another phillips screw on the bottom corners and two in the frunk.  

There are a bunch of t25 torx under the car, but they're easy to see.  

Buy a bunch of these and replace them rather than trying to save the originals:

https://www.warehouse33auto.com/O_E_M_/58/999-507-497-40

mrap1000
mrap1000 New Reader
7/8/18 1:41 p.m.

My Boxster build log discusses bumper cover removal and replacement.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/the-frugal-mechanic-meets-a-porsche-boxster/120457/page5/

Hope it helps.  Remember to put a towel down to keep the cover from getting scratched.  Mine popped off as soon as I removed the fasteners.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LAphBElMghb8Vr6PknQysRX1g1Vyoo2LGyH8j9HCiOhYAtrG3S08xm2vCINVIpX1