J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
3/12/24 3:31 p.m.
feature_image

Zero to 60 in 2.1 seconds. A peak of 1092 horsepower. Could this Porsche Taycan Turbo GT with Weissach Package be the fastest production EV yet? Answer: It officially holds records at two storied circuits.

In February, the Weissach Package Taycan Turbo GT ran a 1:27.87 at WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca. That’s faster than the IMSA GTO and GT4 records.

Before …

Read the rest of the story

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
3/12/24 4:02 p.m.

I'll take my Turbo GT w/ Weissach Package in Cross Turismo form.

Porsche Taycan Turbo S Cross Turismo in profile / side view.

Would it make sense? No.

But that hasn't stopped me in most of my life's pursuits.

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/12/24 4:26 p.m.

Imagine a 2-door version instead of a 2-seat 4-door version. And maybe move the battery pack to the rear of the car. What would that be like I wonder? 

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Publisher
3/12/24 4:32 p.m.

Less than 0.3 seconds slower than a McLaren Senna around Laguna Seca. In a four-door sedan.

Insane. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/12/24 11:11 p.m.

Here's the onboard video from the Laguna Seca lap:

J.A. Ackley
3/13/24 7:15 a.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

Wow. It didn't look like he was holding back. Thanks for sharing!

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/13/24 9:13 a.m.

Another amazing feat of engineering from our friends at Porsche. But does anyone else find these unobtainable 1000hp EVs a bit... boring? They have rewritten the rules of what's fast, but I dunno. They don't stir anything in me that says "I gotta have that".

CyberEric
CyberEric SuperDork
3/13/24 9:14 a.m.

Nuts! I like how the drone was struggling to keep up towards the beginning of the video.

I resonate with what you're saying, Tom. There's something that just doesn't interest me about it all. Maybe because I've driven a Model S P90D and even that made me sick during acceleration. Anything faster feels obscene.

J.A. Ackley
3/13/24 9:52 a.m.

I love the looks of some of the EVs. EVs on track are fun - but it's a different kind of fun. No, it's definitely not the same as an ICE car, but it's still fun nonetheless. As someone raised on loud, obnoxious stock cars, I do miss hitting that loud pedal and actually getting a nice growl from the engine, though.

Coniglio Rampante
Coniglio Rampante Reader
3/13/24 10:22 a.m.

How's the turbo lag in this "TuRbO" car? wink

Impressive numbers but these feats are about as relevant to a grassroots enthusiast as is the world record for a 1200lbs deadlift by some guy you'll never meet.

"Hmm, cool story.  Now where's that 10mm socket?"

J.A. Ackley
3/13/24 10:45 a.m.

In reply to Coniglio Rampante :

You said what I was thinking about the turbo. laugh

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/13/24 10:53 a.m.

Porsche gave up on "Turbo" meaning "car has turbocharger" some time ago. Every Porsche (except for the max engagement cars like the GT3 and GT4) is turbocharged now. Sometimes the performance variant wears a Turbo badge, sometimes it's something like GTS. But not GTS 4.0, that's naturally aspirated.

The whole "turbo = performance" equation has actually inverted at Porsche.

As for that Laguna time, a friend who does chassis development at Laguna thinks a stock Plaid with the track pack would beat that time thanks to the new pavement. There are "lots of politics" about if they should. I suspect the next performance 3 is going to be a corker.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
3/13/24 10:54 a.m.
Tom Suddard said:

Less than 0.3 seconds slower than a McLaren Senna around Laguna Seca. In a four-door sedan.

Insane. 

Mclaren says that the DIN Kerb Weight of the Senna is 2,886lbs lb.  Porsche says the curb weight of the Turbo GT is 4925 lb.

That car breaks physics.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/13/24 11:01 a.m.
J.A. Ackley said:

I love the looks of some of the EVs. EVs on track are fun - but it's a different kind of fun. No, it's definitely not the same as an ICE car, but it's still fun nonetheless. As someone raised on loud, obnoxious stock cars, I do miss hitting that loud pedal and actually getting a nice growl from the engine, though.

To be clear, I'm not anti-EV at all. I can see owning one some time in the not-too-distant future. But as an appliance, not a fun performance car. Even though they are capable of stupendous performance. I've driven a Taycan, it was amazing. The acceleration is hard to describe. I don't know how to express myself here, they just don't stir my loins like a fast ICE car does. 

And yes, the "Turbo" thing is stupid, but that ship sailed a while ago for Porsche.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/13/24 11:04 a.m.

Those who grow up with EV performance will find the sheer amount of racket and vibration generated by an ICE car to be puzzling and distracting :) "I can't even hear the tires!"

I got a preview of that when I was driving our Grand Cherokee last week. It was making all the sexy open-filter V8 noises but it just seemed to be working so hard to get the job done!

spandak
spandak Dork
3/13/24 1:38 p.m.

Incredible!

I'm getting old. As a teenager who only cared about numbers this would have been my favorite new car. As an adult I don't find it that interesting. I've driven a base Taycan and went from a fan of the Taycan to indifferent. Bigger (or smaller) numbers can't really change that. 

left brain go ohhh right brain go meh

In a world where clicks are made mostly by teenagers we end up with cars that chase numbers and I think we are worse off for it. The engineering is incredible but the goal is fleeting. Every week someone makes a faster EV it seems. But for what? Most are out of reach in terms of cost and all of them are out of reach in terms of performance. Who is this for? 

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
3/13/24 1:45 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:I suspect the next performance 3 is going to be a corker.

My insider friend at Tesla said "don't count on it" when I asked about this recently.  And he knows exactly what's coming down the pike...he gets his hands on every new product.

Coniglio Rampante
Coniglio Rampante Reader
3/13/24 2:27 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Those who grow up with EV performance will find the sheer amount of racket and vibration generated by an ICE car to be puzzling and distracting :) "I can't even hear the tires!"

I got a preview of that when I was driving our Grand Cherokee last week. It was making all the sexy open-filter V8 noises but it just seemed to be working so hard to get the job done!

That's likely as good an assessment of the future as I've read. yes

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/18/24 12:07 a.m.

I saw that the Nurburgring record video is out:

This is an EV that's definitely too quiet, the whole powertrain is almost completely silent.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/18/24 7:22 a.m.

I saw a max of 306km via the telematics on the ending straight.  That's 190mph!  The actual speedo read a max of 313km, 194.5mph!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yuxUbVHOlFGm98WSRDyzi7PKA9wCzFBGTKoQAkHiMGvdmzpKiZIGnBdKN6E7oHgC