1 2
ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
5/29/19 10:32 a.m.

If there is nothing for the talking heads to talk about, they have to create something.

Just part of the usual cycle.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/29/19 10:32 a.m.

In reply to Kreb :

two CEO's ago.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/29/19 10:57 a.m.
The0retical said:

There's no way the DOJ would let that happen. Even in todays super merger laissez faire environment I can't see them allowing it.

Nor could I imagine the UAW being enthusiastic about the idea. 

llysgennad
llysgennad Reader
5/29/19 11:40 a.m.

This sounds like somebody who bought Ford shares too high and wants shareprice to drop to lessen the loss, and maybe vice-versa for GM stock.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
5/29/19 11:43 a.m.

In reply to llysgennad :

Totally not a pump and dump. 

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
5/29/19 11:53 a.m.

Chevy - Ford merger. Which would survive? Mustang or Camaro? Mustamaro or Camstang? 

New mid-engine Corvette vs. Ford GT? Well those are 2 different price points so room for both.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
5/29/19 11:59 a.m.
wlkelley3 said:

Chevy - Ford merger. Which would survive? Mustang or Camaro? Mustamaro or Camstang? 

New mid-engine Corvette vs. Ford GT? Well those are 2 different price points so room for both.

I vote cumstang!

chandler
chandler PowerDork
5/29/19 12:03 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:
wlkelley3 said:

I vote cumstang!

I’ve heard really good things about the new Shelby Corvette 500ZR1

No Time
No Time Dork
5/29/19 12:04 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:
wlkelley3 said:

I vote cumstang!

Now your getting back to the Clinton era

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
5/29/19 12:12 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:
wlkelley3 said:

I vote cumstang!

Hey, that's catchy!  Do you work in marketing? laugh

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
5/29/19 12:13 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

As a longtime Ford shareholder, I'd fight it tooth and nail.  Ford weathered the downturn in 2008 because they took steps that made sense and managed to stay solvent.  GM execs rode the gravy train into the ground and went crying to the government to bail their sorry asses out.  GM shareholders lost everything.

I'm no Ford fanboy, but don't pollute Ford integrity with GM sleaze.  

No, Ford was big and bloated and losing money, and got really lucky they sold off a bunch of brands (Aston Martin, Jag, Volvo) that gave them a lot of cash before the downturn began.  They still took a sizable government loan to get through it.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
5/29/19 12:13 p.m.
No Time said:
Dusterbd13-michael said:
wlkelley3 said:

I vote cumstang!

Now your getting back to the Clinton era

Well played, sir! yes

chada75
chada75 Reader
5/29/19 5:14 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

Yes! When GM and Chrysler wanted Taxpayer Bailout Money, Bush should for told them "Ok, you want help? Merge together first."

purplepeopleeater
purplepeopleeater Reader
5/29/19 5:15 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

"The girls all get prettier at closing time..." Mickey Gilley.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/29/19 8:09 p.m.
racerfink said:
1988RedT2 said:

As a longtime Ford shareholder, I'd fight it tooth and nail.  Ford weathered the downturn in 2008 because they took steps that made sense and managed to stay solvent.  GM execs rode the gravy train into the ground and went crying to the government to bail their sorry asses out.  GM shareholders lost everything.

No, Ford was big and bloated and losing money, and got really lucky they sold off a bunch of brands (Aston Martin, Jag, Volvo) that gave them a lot of cash before the downturn began.  They still took a sizable government loan to get through it.

That is exactly as I understand it.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/30/19 6:22 a.m.
racerfink said:
1988RedT2 said:

The sale of those companies paled in comparison with taking a loan against the Ford logo and the F150 brand.  That's where the real money came from.  And that was the focus of getting back into black in 2008.

Also, the loans that were taken were more about being able to give loans to customers- as the banks had tightened up like someone on some serious peanut butter.  Ford took loans, but didn't partake in the bailout.

That was the era where someone finally figured out that we need to compete and be like Toyota, and be able to sell cars that had real value to them instead of cutting costs to make money.  

bcp2011
bcp2011 Reader
5/31/19 10:37 a.m.

Welp, if the new mexican tariffs stick, this might just happen out of necessity.  Car supplier / manufacturer stocks are getting hammered today.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/31/19 11:27 a.m.
alfadriver said:
racerfink said:
1988RedT2 said:

The sale of those companies paled in comparison with taking a loan against the Ford logo and the F150 brand.  That's where the real money came from.  And that was the focus of getting back into black in 2008.

Also, the loans that were taken were more about being able to give loans to customers- as the banks had tightened up like someone on some serious peanut butter.  Ford took loans, but didn't partake in the bailout.

It should be noted at this point that GM's big moneymaker is/was GMAC.  Selling vehicles was just a method for them to sell loans.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
5/31/19 4:53 p.m.
Knurled. said:
alfadriver said:
racerfink said:
1988RedT2 said:

It should be noted at this point that GM's big moneymaker is/was GMAC.  Selling vehicles was just a method for them to sell loans.

I'm glad you brought that up!

https://economyandmarkets.com/markets/subprime-car-loans-are-back/

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JQLB9WzBe7TsExTEhhbsSdq6ZNxMT9y0DRKdVV1bHv75Kc0JhJurxkIj4SjB0Jrn