Jeff
Jeff Dork
9/1/11 10:57 p.m.

Two interesting projects have crossed my path this week, an '87 Milano and a '75 Peugeot 504 wagon.

The 504 would be sweet. I'd do it up like a safari rally car. It looks pretty clean, had rust that was fixed, but is bubbling through according to the owner. Says it runs fine. What kind of hell does one have to go through to get parts? Can it be made to handle (not asking if it can be made to go fast )

What about the Alfa. That looks to be in better shape. I've always wanted a sexy Italian. Not sure how I'd do that up. What's it like to find parts?

So I guess the question is, how much bourbon does one need to drink before pulling the trigger on one of these classics?

ditchdigger
ditchdigger Dork
9/1/11 11:06 p.m.

Can't stand bourbon so I would just have a celebratory beer after buying either or both of them. Those are my kind of oddball cars.

tuna55
tuna55 SuperDork
9/2/11 7:26 p.m.
Jeff wrote: So I guess the question is, how much bourbon does one need to drink before pulling the trigger on one of these classics?

I am not into either of these, but it sounds like you are. I would be highly technical and analytical in the approach here, do you really want to enter a half-baked car in the challenge (of course you do!)

This is what I would do. Get some bourbon. Sip on a glass for a bit. Call the sellers and ask for a detailed list of everything wrong. If the list gets too long, just ask them to pause while you sip some more. Then make a lowball offer dependent on the likely suspicious and poor condition. Thank them and hang up.

Then sip some more. After a few more minutes of this, call them back. Make another offer.

Repeat until you own one.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
9/2/11 7:38 p.m.

Which model Milano, the Platinum has the factory LSD and if the price is right and you don't want it...well you know the rest

darkbuddha
darkbuddha Reader
9/2/11 8:06 p.m.

I too was thinking about my 2012 entry (it'll be my first), and I started wondering: How many folks build their entries with the intent that the end result is something they still want to own and drive after the Challenge is over?

For me, I suspect I will want to keep and continue to drive whatever car I/we build. If you do to, then take that into consideration when you make your choice. I love the idea of the 504, but a competitive version of the 504 probably wouldn't be something I'd want to keep and drive after the event. But the Milano on the other hand...

tuna55
tuna55 SuperDork
9/2/11 8:25 p.m.
darkbuddha wrote: How many folks build their entries with the intent that the end result is something they still want to own and drive after the Challenge is over?

ME!

Timeormoney
Timeormoney Reader
9/4/11 9:14 p.m.

I immediately pictured a 504 with WRX drive-train, or go total GRM and make it a Jeep Cherokee drive-train. Or 'Merican V8 and go for the prerunner look. An autocross prerunner, because we need one of those.

MrMook
MrMook New Reader
9/5/11 3:46 p.m.

Here's a Milano I spied in Brooklyn last year. Pretty cool looking cars, but I don't know much about them. Figured I'd share the pic for encouragement:

Jeff
Jeff Dork
9/5/11 7:42 p.m.

Was out of town over the weekend. Both cars are still around. Both sellers seem eager. This can't end well.

mrhappy
mrhappy Reader
9/5/11 7:45 p.m.

Get both?

Raze
Raze Dork
9/6/11 9:03 a.m.
mrhappy wrote: Get both?

YES and YES, I mean why have 1 project when you can have 2 at twice the price?

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette Dork
12/5/11 11:19 a.m.

Gonna add a foot in the middle and a 350 or a 305 stroked to a 347 mga roadster

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
12/5/11 11:21 a.m.
darkbuddha wrote: I too was thinking about my 2012 entry (it'll be my first), and I started wondering: How many folks build their entries with the intent that the end result is something they still want to own and drive after the Challenge is over? For me, I suspect I will want to keep and continue to drive whatever car I/we build. If you do to, then take that into consideration when you make your choice. I love the idea of the 504, but a competitive version of the 504 probably wouldn't be something I'd want to keep and drive after the event. But the Milano on the other hand...

I do.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pfopORibCMip30CiZ6E1S3Nv2XOWA6JIJHot0YZS76kRblVJsNjiJwsxSWv1TdDT