96DXCivic
96DXCivic Dork
5/19/10 6:36 p.m.

One of my dreams is to do some vintage racing with a pre-WWII car. Is there any grassroots way of doing that? I mean if I was over in England I guess the answer here would be Austin Seven but what about in America?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/19/10 6:46 p.m.

Check out our Classic Motorsports. Tim Sharp has taken his supercharged Austin Seven racer to the Monterey Historics. He could have easily spent more on a new minivan.

96DXCivic
96DXCivic Dork
5/19/10 6:53 p.m.

This months? I guess that will have to wait I left my copy at the dorms.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Webmaster
5/19/10 7:38 p.m.

The article David is referring to was covered with last year's Monterey historics. I'm not sure which issue off the top of my head, but I'll look in the office tomorrow.

You might get some good advice on our Classic Motorsports forums, though.

oldtin
oldtin Reader
5/19/10 8:08 p.m.

board track racer? model t specials. a neighbor of my folks is building a locomobile speedster (he has two of them).

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
5/20/10 4:04 p.m.

Bonneville. Everything races there. Everything.

mkiisupra
mkiisupra New Reader
5/20/10 4:25 p.m.

A big Ditto on the OP's query. Was waaaaay jealous of Tim Sharp's accquisition, very nice looking btw. When I go to Monterrey (or more my speed, Infineon Wine Classics) I always find myself gawking at the pre-WWII stuff more than the T/A's and the like.

However, show me a dekon monza, and wowzers!!!

Eric G

aircooled
aircooled SuperDork
5/20/10 5:32 p.m.

So.... would it be possible to make a Pro War racer?

I don't know, but if you did, I am sure it would need to be driven aggressively.

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
5/20/10 7:27 p.m.

KIRK! on the HAMB built a pre war style one man modified race. If the link doesn't work, search for LEGION SPECIAL.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/search.php?searchid=9714727

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
5/20/10 7:27 p.m.

(sorry, fat fingers)

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
5/20/10 7:35 p.m.

triumphcorvair
triumphcorvair New Reader
5/21/10 8:35 a.m.

The was recently a thread on a Spitfire "kit" car that is meant to replicate a 40's era racer. Its based upon the Spitfire chassis and utilizes all parts with the exception of the body and seats. Its called the Type 48 Corsa Spyder. More info is available @ www.corsaspyder.com

The car is RHD but I recently (yesterday) corresponded with the manufacturer and he said he would be willing to modify the body for LHD.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DASB2J2ICCgcxDGWRHJqygg6P860yf38Pf2ws4AYMj6wPe6onWRldnpJ4HniCJih