jlm_photo
jlm_photo New Reader
6/8/10 3:24 p.m.

I am looking at buying a car that has been sitting for at least 3 years. What is the process to bringing it back to running condition? My general thoughts were replacing battery, plug wires, plugs, dist cap, rotor, timing belt, coil pack, air filter, fuel filter, all fluids and their filters...and checking things like brakes suspension. What am I missing?

oldtin
oldtin HalfDork
6/8/10 3:40 p.m.

Here's a guide for old MGs. Might be a little over the top, but a good guide on what to think about. The other thought though....did it run 3 years ago? I see lots of CL ads "all it needs is a ___". My assumption is that it's seized or giant hole in block. Then anything better is a pleasant surprise.

Schmidlap
Schmidlap Reader
6/8/10 3:41 p.m.

Don't forget the tires. Depending on how long they were on the car when it was parked, and how it was stored the tires could be rotted, lopsided, etc.

Bob

jlm_photo
jlm_photo New Reader
6/8/10 3:47 p.m.
oldtin wrote: Here's a guide for old MGs. Might be a little over the top, but a good guide on what to think about. The other thought though....did it run 3 years ago? I see lots of CL ads "all it needs is a ___". My assumption is that it's seized or giant hole in block. Then anything better is a pleasant surprise.

That is perfect! Any other advice from previous experiences?

unevolved
unevolved Reader
6/8/10 4:05 p.m.
oldtin wrote: Here's a guide for old MGs. Might be a little over the top, but a good guide on what to think about. The other thought though....did it run 3 years ago? I see lots of CL ads "all it needs is a ___". My assumption is that it's seized or giant hole in block. Then anything better is a pleasant surprise.

That was my assumption, and it wound up being pretty accurate.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 New Reader
6/8/10 4:09 p.m.

Yeah, it's all about expectations. If you figure it's pretty much going to need everything you won't be disappointed.

I think you're on the right track. Change all fluids, filters, etc. And I would figure on replacing anything made of rubber.

jlm_photo
jlm_photo New Reader
6/8/10 4:18 p.m.
1988RedT2 wrote: Yeah, it's all about expectations. If you figure it's pretty much going to need everything you won't be disappointed. I think you're on the right track. Change all fluids, filters, etc. And I would figure on replacing anything made of rubber.

Noted. Trust me I have no assumptions other than it will need everything.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
6/8/10 6:12 p.m.

It depends on the car, what condition it was in when it was parked, and how it was stored.

novaderrik
novaderrik Reader
6/8/10 6:15 p.m.

gas,coolant, and a battery to see if it fires. if it fires, then change the oil and filter along with the fuel filter and fill up the cooling system before running it for too long.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/8/10 6:39 p.m.

different cars will call for different things. If It has a carb, plan on rebuilding it. You mentioned replacing the coil pack and dist cap / rotor, what are you working on? Should have one or the other....

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy Reader
6/8/10 6:45 p.m.

Modern gasoline is E36 M3. It turns into an even nastier version of E36 M3 after 3 years. If there is a plug, drain the tank. If not, drop the tank and drain it. If its ugly when you look in the sender hole, have it cleaned. Then hope the fuel pump, carb/injectors are not clogged solid.

Everything after that is just routine maintainance.

jlm_photo
jlm_photo New Reader
6/8/10 8:24 p.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote: different cars will call for different things. If It has a carb, plan on rebuilding it. You mentioned replacing the coil pack and dist cap / rotor, what are you working on? Should have one or the other....

It is an AE86. I'm really not sure if it is carb or FI. Haven't bought it yet. I've go to go talk to the guy in the next couple weeks to see if he will sell. I just want to know what I am in for.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KF4APuxlsukm7kiv2Vtxn8ijPuijw0ZC0iR17bkHydLmNKdRpc9OyhnAjNmJZVxf