1 2
Honsch
Honsch New Reader
2/6/20 3:17 p.m.
Stefan said:
jstein77 said:

Might there be any way to fit a more modern trans, like from a Golf?

I think from an older Audi might work better, but then the bellhousing might be different.  there weren't many longitudinal based transaxles with that engine bellhousing pattern, most had the Audi engine setup (and as much fun a 5-cylinder engine would be, it would make many of their problems worse).

You can swap in a 012 from a FWD B5 Passat/A4, it bolts up to pretty much all the VW/Audi motors.

We swapped one into our Fox wagon (as pictured above).  It's not a trivial swap but it can be done.
You need custom axles (Passat inner CV, Fox outer CV) , a custom shifter linkage, a very simple custom trans mount, a Passat clutch/flywheel, a hydraulic clutch pedal setup, and a lot of hammerring on the trans tunnel to make it fit.

Also, there's no room for a five cylinder motor, the engine bay is just too short.

cordycord
cordycord New Reader
2/7/20 9:17 a.m.

We've got those Konig "Dial In" wheels on our crap-can!  I recommend NOT using them.  An over exuberant Ford Focus driver tried to out-brake our Miata at  Buttonwillow and our wheel spokes--which are proud of the tires--hit their spokes.  Bad things ensued.  In addition to the broken wheel spokes and new blue striping on the side of our car, the hit broke our battery loose, which arced on the bare trunk and started a fire.  Again, not good.

Konig Dial In = not recommended for wheel to wheel racing.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
2/7/20 9:49 a.m.

We've raced on these wheels for years and never had a problem, but yes, I could see hitting cars or being hit by cars posing a problem for most wheels in some form or another. 

Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela HalfDork
2/7/20 10:31 a.m.

I can't see that Jetta without thinking of Jesse riding an 8V a la Ginuwine. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dbrPnCRqHxSDbzZnx2bwEpLZD3aOsmwTym2raFuxVOJ2C8mIOSxo0pciV8WWAywp