1 ... 6 7 8
CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Dork
7/20/12 6:22 a.m.
Geodesiq wrote: Carkid: 32.8 mpg is that mixed city/hwy?

yep. Its a good mix of city/hwy there is some driving where i try to be "green" some harder driving now and then.

Just a good mix

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam UltraDork
7/20/12 9:35 a.m.
Geodesiq wrote: In reply to Billy_Bottle_Caps: There's a '95 in Lake Worth, FL if anyone's interested. Looks like a great project car but it's too far for me. http://www.carsunder3000.com/inventory/view/5280296 Carkid: 32.8 mpg is that mixed city/hwy?

Whoa, that car is a drive from here, but it's a unicorn. '95 manual shift wagon. Perfect. Now if only it was black...

DuctTape&Bondo
DuctTape&Bondo Reader
7/20/12 9:51 a.m.

Ah, this thread... let's just say it's all I can do to not pick up the phone and call the manual SW1 listed on Craigslist locally.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin SuperDork
7/20/12 10:11 a.m.
Twin_Cam wrote:
Geodesiq wrote: In reply to Billy_Bottle_Caps: There's a '95 in Lake Worth, FL if anyone's interested. Looks like a great project car but it's too far for me. http://www.carsunder3000.com/inventory/view/5280296 Carkid: 32.8 mpg is that mixed city/hwy?
Whoa, that car is a drive from here, but it's a unicorn. '95 manual shift wagon. Perfect. Now if only it was black...

Not that much of a unicorn. Mine was almost the ultimate unicorn, but it was a 94. Manual wagon with ABS and AC, but zero other options. Even had a "AM/FM Stereo"

I'm thinking my next DD is going to be another 95 wagon. Tempting to buy that one.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Dork
7/22/12 3:19 p.m.

I installed a air/oil seperater in between the PCV valve and the intake last week. Its been doing its job of preventing oily crap from coking/sludging the intake.

Still burns some oil though. Thats after the ATF in the cylinders quick fix idea. Maybe it is valve seals?

Got new tires for it a few weeks back too and its been riding great.

Lastly the stock 5th gear is back in so higher rpm but less bogging.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/22/12 3:21 p.m.
CarKid1989 wrote: Still burns some oil though.

Well it is a Saturn after all...

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/29/12 4:38 p.m.

bump for moving to project car forum, 1999 Saturn SW2 5-Speed

ProDarwin
ProDarwin SuperDork
7/29/12 5:34 p.m.
CarKid1989 wrote: I installed a air/oil seperater in between the PCV valve and the intake last week. Its been doing its job of preventing oily crap from coking/sludging the intake. Still burns some oil though. Thats after the ATF in the cylinders quick fix idea. Maybe it is valve seals? Got new tires for it a few weeks back too and its been riding great. Lastly the stock 5th gear is back in so higher rpm but less bogging.

Yup. Only way to fix that is to tear the motor apart and drill drainback holes behind the coil-control rings.

How much does it burn?

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
7/29/12 6:01 p.m.

total non-sequitur, I ran across a set of Thule roof rack fit kit mounts for a Saturn (SL2, I think) if anyone needs them. They came from my in-laws and are in great shape. Let me know.

JtspellS
JtspellS HalfDork
7/29/12 7:37 p.m.

So we are still waiting for pics with the mini wheels sir..........

Awesome build and keep it up!

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Dork
7/30/12 2:35 p.m.

Added cruise control to the saturn.

Piece of cake.

Take the switch off the steering wheel of car in junkyard. Take the cruise control module and rubber gromets off junk car. Install on my car. Take to work and reprogram the PCM.

Whole thing took a lil over an hour.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Dork
7/30/12 3:00 p.m.
JtspellS wrote: So we are still waiting for pics with the mini wheels sir.......... Awesome build and keep it up!

no mini wheels.....

fitment issues

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Dork
8/12/12 4:47 p.m.

Saturn got its windows tinted. legal in the front and 15% rears. Its not so greenhouse-y now inside and at night its not bad at all to see out of. Its nice too cause there is less glare comin in through the rear window at night.

oh and i think it looks cool

VonSmallhausen
VonSmallhausen GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/12/12 5:12 p.m.

Looks really good. Gonna try to convince the girlfriend to do the same thing to her Volvo wagon, also love the build thread, makes me want to work on my truck.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Dork
8/20/12 10:42 p.m.

I finally got sick and tired of having my eardrums getting blown out due to the OBX exhaust. (OBX= OBnoXious?is that possible?) It drones, its horrid on the highway, draws the wrong attention, and is a pain in the butt sound wise.

I had ideas how to remedy it. New cat back? Replace muffler section with a quiet flow? add resonator? Dunno

Tonight i had enough....

Cracked open a can of garbanzo beans, snagged a scouring pad and a drill.

Ill let the pictures tell the story as i have no words for what happened next...

Used 3 set screws to hold it in place.

MUCHHHH quieter.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Reader
8/21/12 8:18 a.m.

wow!!!! hell, i may have to try that on the duster!!! thanks so much for the idea!!

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Dork
9/5/12 3:19 p.m.

Ok folks.

Brainstorming here.

Was underneath a saturn at work the other day. And its just basically a front and rear subframe hooked to a shell. I believe its 4 bolts front and 4 bolts rear.

Around the time time i saw the Jalapeno conversion for the Fiero. They lift it by spacer-ing out the subframe to the body and all that jazz. Fiero details

I thought i could do that to the saturn. Make spacers for subframes front and rear. Space out the top of the struts by using another saturn upper plate spacered over the stock one.

Brake lines should clear. Rad hoses might need longering. Thing that bugs me is the trailing are in the rear but get a junkyard one and extend it a bit.

Also add in a bar to lengthen steering linkage.

I could add a slightly larger tire to it. nothing crazy.

I THINK its easily doable.

Why not get cheapo coil overs and jack em up all the way? Alignment might never get right no matter how hard ya try.

Here is stock and then under that is lifted 1.5 front and 2ish inches rear.

and rear quarter shot faux lifted

Tell me not to do it and lower it or something else or keep it stock.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin SuperDork
9/5/12 3:26 p.m.

1) Leave it alone. Its a reliable appliance. Enjoy that.

2) If you need to mod it, lower it.

3) If you decided to do it, simply spacing the struts down would do it. You don't NEED to space the subframes/screw with the steering/etc. Only concern would be if the half-shafts have enough length to deal with the spaced struts @ full droop travel. Bigger tire will rub @ full lock and increase the already-E36 M3ty turning radius.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
5/8/13 8:59 p.m.

Well the saga continues, this time with excitement and some events that are hard to accept.

Had an email come in asking if it was for sale. Hell, everything is for sale. Questions asked back and for and back and forth and this Build Thread was mentioned so the complete story of the car could be seen. 45 misc emails about it (some were chit chat and so on).

Came down to the question" how much for it"...

Price settled at $2500. I am so excited, even though i was taking a loss. Seemed like a pretty fair deal.

So we decided on a time and a place to meet: Toledo Express Airport. As he is coming in for a fly and drive i agree and take off time from work.

Saturday approaches and i am giddy as a kid on christmas. I empty out all my personal effects and vacuum the car. Then i go through it and do a quick interior detail to make it really purdy. I wash the car and use Meguiars quick detailer wax to give a nice shine. Car is looking tip top.

Saturday comes and my dad (in another car) and i head for toledo. Well, this is where the tragedy starts.

Due to some not thought out quesions about the year of the motor, which can be found, in part in the link...)He decides to call off the deal.

paragraph about engine and trans being different.

Here i am half way to toledo pulled on the side of the road, time off work, dragged my dad out early on a saturday and i have a toll ticket in my cupholder and i am in a state where i cannot begin to describe my emotions.

My dad, being the level headed voice of reason simply said "im sorry it did not work out. It all happened for a reason. lets get home." I admire his cool headed attitude and his way of calming me down.

Went home, my saturn sport wagon not sold and my dreams crushed.

Just an update in the story of the SportWagon.

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
5/9/13 12:19 a.m.

In reply to CarKid1989:

The 45 e-mails is a HUGE red flag about flaking. If the buyer is agonizing that much, they're looking for an excuse to flake.

In the future, have them come to you, too. WAY too many flakes in the world to waste your time on any of them.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
5/9/13 5:54 a.m.
gamby wrote: In reply to CarKid1989: The 45 e-mails is a HUGE red flag about flaking.

i did say though that some were chit chat though haha. dont think all were technical...hhaha

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
10/13/14 8:38 p.m.

So where are we now? (Zombie thread? Is that what this is?)

1 ... 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EqCUvUIF8mlfcIMFUAZaVC8EZhhJLq7eSA9j4WgcumWSCjW6M5ND36zkuh8PkhnC