1 2 3 4
racerboy000
racerboy000 New Reader
4/5/10 7:17 p.m.
DrBoost wrote: No, they put gravy on french fries. That's just WRONG!!

Gravy any day, mayo not so much

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/5/10 7:38 p.m.

I have no issues with gravey or cheese on fries... mayo I draw the line at.. though I may give it a taste one day

tr8todd
tr8todd New Reader
4/5/10 7:41 p.m.

Canada---- Americas hat.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/5/10 7:43 p.m.

what does that make mexico?

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
4/5/10 8:08 p.m.

America's shorts.

I liked the vid, that was pretty cool. But- there was a much earlier Nissan ad here in the Great Satan, done in 'stop motion' where a GI Joe lookin' guy with a model 300Z stole Barbie away from Ken.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8QKK5IDSXE

Take THAT, Canada!

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla New Reader
4/5/10 8:15 p.m.

At least we don't put grits on ANYTHING-what the hell is that stuff anyways besides terrible?.

fornetti14
fornetti14 GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/5/10 8:27 p.m.

I could drift my RC car back in the 6th grade.

zomby woof
zomby woof HalfDork
4/5/10 9:12 p.m.
eg6ajk wrote:
And cheese.....Damn poutine loving, frenchies....

FYI, it's actually cheese curds.

Not that I'd actually eat cheese, or curds, but my wife tells me it's very important, and the curds make the poutine (pronounced poo-tin).

My high school caf had the best fries and gravy ever. If you ordered a hamburger platter, you got the burger, tons of fries, and gravy on the whole thing, the way it should be

RossD
RossD Dork
4/5/10 9:14 p.m.

You can't even buy grits in Wisconsin. But then again I went to Chicago and they asked me if I was Canadian. You wanna know why America is better than Canada? John Moses Browning.

Carson
Carson Dork
4/5/10 9:21 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
If gravy on fries is wrong then I don't wanna be right.

Let's just all agree, firstly, they're called "chips," and secondly, they're to be topped with malt vinegar.

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt HalfDork
4/5/10 9:34 p.m.

Never had poutine. Looks pretty good, but heck, I'd take the cheese curds alone, but add fries? Heck yeah.

Luke
Luke SuperDork
4/5/10 10:26 p.m.

Mayo on chips is a British thing, and poutine is freakin' delicious.

To be fair, Americans are pioneers in the field of bacon experimentation.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Dork
4/5/10 10:44 p.m.
kevlarcorolla wrote: At least we don't put grits on ANYTHING-what the hell is that stuff anyways besides terrible?.

Coarsely ground corn. It does the same thing in the traditional Southern US diet that rice does through most of Asia..fills you up enough so that you can use smaller portions of real food in the same meal (which means less $$$, we's po). I grew up with them, and can actually eat a bowl of it by itself for a meal..as long as I've got some butter, cheese, pepper, and hot sauce nearby. Sometimes I'll also soft-fry a couple of strips of bacon, dice em up and throw em in.

Yeah, there's a reason traditional Southern cooking's now regulated to "special occasions" in a more health-concious society...

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt HalfDork
4/5/10 11:05 p.m.

I like grits quite a bit, and I was born a Yankee. I used to eat them with sugar, the Yankee-way, but ever since trying them with butter and salt, there's no going back. I love a lot of different types of food, but if I had to choose by region, southeastern US is my favorite. That beats out Japanese, Chinese and Mexican, and that's saying a lot. Japanese is probably second. I know there's a few non-native Americans on here, so forgive me if you already know, but inside the US only those from the northeast are referred to as Yankees, while the rest of the world calls all Americans Yankees.

MitchellC
MitchellC Dork
4/6/10 1:31 a.m.

I will eat just about anything on fries aside from ketchup. How is it possible that fresh, delicious tomatoes become... that?

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
4/6/10 2:29 a.m.

So Canadians are cooler than Americans because they play with toy cars that are modeled like front drive econoboxes? Hmmm, I guess I'm not seeing it. Now, the GI Joe + Barbie commercial, that one is great.

Bryce

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/6/10 3:14 a.m.
Luke wrote: Mayo on chips is a British thing, and poutine is freakin' delicious.

It isn't. Vinegar is where it's at here, mayo is mostly a Belgian thing.

Luke
Luke SuperDork
4/6/10 3:21 a.m.

Touche, guy-that-actually-lives-there .

Hey can you still buy fish & chips wrapped in newspaper?

Jay
Jay Dork
4/6/10 4:05 a.m.

I wish they sold milk-in-a-bag over here. Seriously that's one of the things I miss the most from back in Ontario. Instead all we get are stupid 1L cartons. I go through four of the bloody things a week.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
4/6/10 5:13 a.m.

Hockey hair..

jrw1621
jrw1621 Dork
4/6/10 6:53 a.m.

Don Cherry...

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson HalfDork
4/6/10 7:38 a.m.
Luke wrote: Mayo on chips is a British thing, and poutine is freakin' delicious. To be fair, Americans are pioneers in the field of bacon experimentation.

Woooowwww there. No it isn't. You put vinegar on chips in the UK, mayo, gravy or anything else will get you scorned and ostracized. Those damn foreigners over the channel put mayo and crap on them.

To show how far I've evolved since moving here I'm now an equal opportunity chip enhancer, mayo, gravy anything. Once I've even dabbled in ketchup, but that was a step too far!

zomby woof
zomby woof HalfDork
4/6/10 8:11 a.m.

White vinegar is really good on fries, but you can't get it in a restaurant in the States.

For those who don't know who Don Cherry is, he has a show that runs between the first, and second period of the first game, Saturday night, on Hockey night in Canada. It is a very highly rated show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMi99q89_To&feature=related

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson HalfDork
4/6/10 8:19 a.m.
zomby woof wrote: White vinegar is really good on fries, but you can't get it in a restaurant in the States.

No, you want malt vinegar on chips, not white. And most places that sell 'fish and chips' do seem to carry it here. Or maybee it's because I live in SE Michigan where there a lot's of ex-pats like myself due to the auto industry.

Kia_racer
Kia_racer Reader
4/6/10 8:27 a.m.

Malt vinegar is fab on chips. There used to be a chain of fast food joints called "Arthur Treachers". It was a fish and chips place but they went under in the late 70's. I loved going there.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XnqvLX6N8lGKzjuH1E0koRbaWDimJgYiOP6NNsJ2CGRNwuAYKGNhidgNxd6d84g6