1 2 3 4
flountown
flountown New Reader
4/6/10 8:30 a.m.
zomby woof wrote: White vinegar is really good on fries, but you can't get it in a restaurant in the States. For those who don't know who Don Cherry is, he has a show that runs between the first, and second period of the first game, Saturday night, on Hockey night in Canada. It is a very highly rated show. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMi99q89_To&feature=related

I really like Don Cherry, they are actually coming out with a documentary, or biopic, is what the CBC called it. I am really interested to see it, he took quite a winding road to get where he is. I have an old Rock 'em Sock 'em Don Cherry hockey highlights on VHS, its hilarious, and some of his Coach's Corner segments are great, and how can you not like a guy with that much style.

flountown
flountown New Reader
4/6/10 8:33 a.m.
DeadSkunk wrote: More hockey trivia. There have been over 50 different teams play in the NHL. That includes franchises that moved and changed names.No new teams entered thew league between 1934 and 1967.

This is a really good site when it comes to NHL history, and all the teams, broken down by year in the NHL: http://nhluniforms.com/

Jay
Jay Dork
4/6/10 8:36 a.m.

I was born in northern Canada and raised in Ontario. Words cannot describe how much I hate Don Cherry.

Heh, every time I'm in the U.K. I get a big jug of Sarson's original malt vinegar and brirng it back with me. By the time I'm back there again I'll have finished it. Quality stuff.

zomby woof
zomby woof HalfDork
4/6/10 8:51 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: No, you want malt vinegar on chips, not white.

I cannot stand malt vinegar. It reminds me of wine vinegar, and balsamic vinegar. Neither of which I can stomach.

Jay wrote: Words cannot describe how much I hate Don Cherry.

I always heard there was one. I didn't think it was true. Where in the north were you born?

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro Dork
4/6/10 9:13 a.m.

More Canadian Don Cherry hate over here!

I can't figure out how that goof has made a career out of being bad at hockey.

Shawn

P.S. We're bigger and we're on top. If this were prison, America would be our bitch!

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson HalfDork
4/6/10 9:24 a.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: P.S. We're bigger and we're on top. If this were prison, America would be our bitch!

But were not, so it's roll reversal time Bitch!

mtn
mtn SuperDork
4/6/10 9:28 a.m.

Don Cherry is awesome. I remember him giving some of the best advice I've ever had in terms of hockey: If you can't break it out, take it off the glass and out of the zone. "Bing! Off the glass, out of the zone!"

Anybody ever see Mike Myers impersonation of him in the movie "Mystery, Alaska?" Pretty hilarious.

Jay
Jay Dork
4/6/10 9:30 a.m.
zomby woof wrote: I always heard there was one. I didn't think it was true. Where in the north were you born?

Whitehorse. I guess the local sport was always curling rather than hockey (because you play it indoors and could HEAT the rink in winter!) I do love a good hockey game but I would rather listen to moose copulating than anything that comes out of Don Cherry's gigantic pie-hole.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
4/6/10 11:37 a.m.
kevlarcorolla wrote: At least we don't put grits on ANYTHING-what the hell is that stuff anyways besides terrible?.

Dood. You don't know good eatin'. But I have to admit: Grits by themselves are teh suck; you gotta doctor 'em up a bit. My favorite: scrambled eggs, crumbled bacon and shredded sharp cheddar. The grits have to be hot, in fact it's best if you put the eggs etc in the pot just before the grits are ready and then chow down. Yum. For a little extra kick, use Texas Pete.

There's a restaraunt down here that puts jalapenos in the grits, they let them cool then slice it into patties. They are then fried just before they hit your plate.

I remember the Arthur Treacher's. And I have to admit malt vinegar on fish and chips is pretty damn good.

captain_napalm
captain_napalm Reader
4/6/10 2:21 p.m.

3 pages and no one has mentioned the Canadian Ballet? Impressive.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
4/6/10 3:19 p.m.
JeepinMatt wrote: Never had poutine. Looks pretty good, but heck, I'd take the cheese curds alone, but add fries? Heck yeah.

We have something similar. We calls 'em chili cheese fries.

Poutine:

Chili cheese fries:

zomby woof
zomby woof HalfDork
4/6/10 3:31 p.m.

You don't think we have chili cheese fries?

3 pages and no one has mentioned the Canadian Ballet? Impressive.

Ah yes, another arena in which our neighbours from la belle province shine

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/6/10 4:42 p.m.

If you can't tell the difference between poutine and chili cheese fries, you've never tried poutine. Grated cheddar is not cheese curds. Chili is not gravy. Even the order of operations is wrong, the gravy goes on the curds instead of having the cheese sprinkled on top They do both involve fries, I'll acknowledge that.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/6/10 4:54 p.m.

And they both kick ass in their own rights.

Cone_Junky
Cone_Junky New Reader
4/6/10 4:59 p.m.
DrBoost wrote: No, they put gravy on french fries. That's just WRONG!!

Sounds just right to me. I guess Canadians are cool?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/7/10 8:34 a.m.

Nice! I'd prefer the RC SE-R over the real one though

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/7/10 11:10 a.m.

Can I use that Poutine photo as my new avatar?

People don't understand how good that stuff is. Especially after the bars close.

EDIT: Done.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/7/10 11:19 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
Trans_Maro wrote: P.S. We're bigger and we're on top. If this were prison, America would be our bitch!
But were not, so it's roll reversal time Bitch!

The irony of this statement has me rolling on the floor.

(One of our resident Ex-Pat Brits defending us against the eVil Canadian bullies)

Thank you AT.

mr2peak
mr2peak GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/7/10 2:03 p.m.

lol it's funny cause canada is like a toy america

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/7/10 3:04 p.m.
Luke wrote: Touche, guy-that-actually-lives-there . Hey can you still buy fish & chips wrapped in newspaper?

I think the last f&c I bought up the road here was wrapped in greaseproof paper. Given what they write in the papers here I wouldn't want that anywhere near my food .

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro Dork
4/7/10 4:37 p.m.

On behalf of Canada, I would like to extend an invitation to the USA to become our eleventh province.

You will hereafter be known as Newfoundland Jr.

Shawn

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla New Reader
4/7/10 5:37 p.m.

In reply to Jensenman:

Deep fried grits-yum yum.

Maybe if you added cheese curds and gravy you might be onto to something.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/7/10 6:28 p.m.

As awesome as Poutine is, I guess it doesn't make a very good avatar

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/7/10 6:43 p.m.

Poutine tastes good, but looks like E36 M3.

mw
mw HalfDork
4/7/10 8:08 p.m.

The other day I went to Harvey's and decided to try Poutine Rings. (My own invention consisting of onion rings with cheese curds and gravy). It wans't as a good as regular Poutine.

I do like chili cheese fries. Especially with bacon.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CwIybpadZEIxYY8Dr2fPgbO1tvS3TywJzQboD14hTx12NhlEoR60zyqtP2Eac89a