1 ... 3 4 5
tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
12/23/13 9:14 a.m.

RE-HASH,

What do you folks think of the Toyota 2AR?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
12/23/13 9:18 a.m.

My guess is that 350hp wouldn't be a problem for it. Seems to be the replacement for the 2az that was probably mentioned earlier in the thread. The 2az would laugh at 350hp.

The question is, because the 2AR didn't appear until 2008, can you get them for challenge friendly prices?

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
12/23/13 9:50 a.m.

I am NOT a huge motoIQ fan, but I sift through the silliness to get a sense of what the actual race folks are saying here and there, and this writeup has some pictures within which make me happy.

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticles/ID/3102/Nerds-Eye-View-Inside-Fredric-AasboPapadakis-Racings-Amazing-V8-eating-2AR-Toyota-Engine.aspx

If the 2AZ was that happy on the inside, I might be looking at that instead.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
12/23/13 9:57 a.m.

I'd have to look at the 2az again, but i know people were using the 2.7 crank/bottom end with that thing as well, and there's been examples making well over 1000whp in drag applications.

2AR looks like a really neat motor, though!

Vigo
Vigo UberDork
12/23/13 10:57 a.m.

Really cool article, thanks for posting Tuna!

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
12/23/13 11:59 a.m.
Vigo wrote: Really cool article, thanks for posting Tuna!

Kind of makes you want a 2AR, eh?

Gasoline
Gasoline SuperDork
12/23/13 12:09 p.m.
wspohn wrote: Stock LNF Ecotec out of a Cobalt SS runs with stock ECM and a mild tune gives you your 350 BHP and huge torque (350 ft-lbs+). Anywhere up to 500 BHP available with upgrades. Use the transmission too. They hold up quite well.

I have a Ecotec to Powerglide adapter and a 1964 Spitfire. Spitfirecotec?

Mazda787b
Mazda787b Reader
12/23/13 2:47 p.m.

Good luck finding one of those Mexican Stratus manifolds..

Or I should say, finding a Mopar parts guy who knows how to order Export parts. Maybe someone closer to the border would have better luck.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
12/23/13 3:05 p.m.

For what it's worth....

http://youtu.be/HxF7a3LYr9M

This car later made 483whp/537wtq. Stock motor. No timing control of any kind.

And then it blew up. But again... no timing control of any kind, which i'm 99.9% sure was the problem.

You could easily duplicate this setup but with a Megasquirt for Challenge budget.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/23/13 3:24 p.m.
Mazda787b wrote: Good luck finding one of those Mexican Stratus manifolds.. Or I should say, finding a Mopar parts guy who knows how to order Export parts. Maybe someone closer to the border would have better luck.

I had one. Sold it to a buddy for his minivan (TurboTerry who had the fastest NHRA stock-class turbo minivan as well as one of the fastest modified vans plus the fastest stock block GN). IT was found on one of the T-D mailing lists back in the day thanks to someone buying a few in Mexico and bringing them across the border.

Mazda787b
Mazda787b Reader
12/23/13 7:36 p.m.

That's how I had mine. Came with my ACR. PO bought it back in 02? from a guy called Captain Nemo's Neon Performance. He owns rage-tek now I think.

I sold it with the MLS exhaust gasket for $140 in 2011. Wish I would've written down the PN for the gasket. It was stainless 3-layer. I've always wanted to do turbo ITBs on a 2.6 Stroker bottom end. Wishing I would've kept the Turbo stuff now that I have the ITBs. I even had tracked down a top end from a Supertouring Stratus. Still kicking myself over that.

Saving the ITBs for throwing into a RWD Colt or maybe even an Omni.

In the turbo realm, 2.0 might even be cheaper. Especially if you take into account the mount required for swapping in a 2.4

a SOHC had dished pistons vs a DOHC's domed. I am putting DOHC pistons in my SOHC rebuild to bump compression. Inversely, you can throw a SOHC head on a SOHC bottom-end to drop compression. Add Cometic thicker MLS head gasket to suit.

Rods can be beefed up by using ARP rod bolts. LS1 bolts will work. The rods out of a 01-04 R/T 2.0 "Magnum" are the same metal composition as the SRT rods.

For a clutch, you can supposedly use a pressure plate off of a 1.8T VAG product. I'd have to research this more, though. It would only apply if you had a 95, or a Mexican-built neon. Others had a "modular" clutch. One could always convert over, but it isn't as budget minded.

For a Modular clutch, one from a 2.7 Stratus R/T from equipped with a T-850 MTX is a bolt in. I believe this combination was produced for only 1 or 2 years, but they are available from eBay/RockAuto/Advance. Most are either Valeo or Sachs units.

Cheap axle upgrades can be had from a Shadow, just swap axles/knuckles. This lets you use a bolt-in wheel bearing. Also will allow for 11" rotors off of a Caravan with the correct caliper bracket. A Quaife knock-off (OBX) can be had for ~$500 and already has the upgraded washers and bolts. Had some other machine work completed to deal with VSS issues and such. I haven't seen "virgin" ones for less than $400 lately.

Everything else is minor and can be easily addressed.

1 ... 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HxTnNujHpgPhoFW8IdK5zJI8pkttHdMomUwnTm1LzTiweCtHTPhU3AVbH6TqcUIc