still looks like a bad day though

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette UltraDork
6/18/15 10:25 a.m.

Physically yes but with me it is allways mental

tpwalsh
tpwalsh HalfDork
6/18/15 12:03 p.m.

ugg.. I'm headed through there in a couple of months with a moving truck towing a car trailer. Not looking forward to that.

Lancer007
Lancer007 Dork
6/18/15 12:37 p.m.

I just drove a 16' Penske truck with my car on a trailer for 2000 miles. This was my worst fear during the whole drive. The wind and rain through Oklahoma and Missouri probably added a few grey hairs.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man HalfDork
6/18/15 12:52 p.m.

Poor little thing. I'm glad that the people were mostly okay, but geez. FBs are expensive enough up here as-is.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
6/18/15 12:55 p.m.

That'll buff out.

motomoron
motomoron SuperDork
6/18/15 1:11 p.m.

That looks like a lot of trailer for what appears to be an F150.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
6/18/15 1:22 p.m.
Karl La Follette wrote: Physically yes but with me it is allways mental

QFT.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
6/18/15 1:27 p.m.
motomoron wrote: That looks like a lot of trailer for what appears to be an F150.

I think F250 but still looks like a significant load.

motomoron
motomoron SuperDork
6/18/15 1:50 p.m.

^Agreed^.

I only saw the rear angle. I totaled my tow vehicle rear-ending a (big, soft, cheap) travel trailer who'd rear ended the pop-up camper ahead of him. The choice was to dump as much speed as possible and aim for the spare tire, or try to get by on the paved shoulder to the left with a good chance of dropping a wheel off onto the edge of a grassy ravine. In racing this would be a very low probability pass, and it was blind as well.

I was confident that even if the truck was dead from hitting the travel trailer I'd still be at the track the next morning to qualify. I needed to finish 1/2 distance + on Sunday to clinch a championship.

Dropping a wheel could well result in a roll and definitely a lost championship.

So I totaled my Tacoma, borrowed tow vehicles to get the weekend done, and the replacement tow vehicle has 3x the towing capacity of what my rig weighs. And it has freakin' giant-ass brakes.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
6/18/15 3:39 p.m.

Uugghh. What a nightmare that would be. Ruin your tow vehicle, your trailer and your race car......all at the same time. Damn, that hurts to even look at.

motomoron
motomoron SuperDork
6/18/15 4:28 p.m.

Also, a tiny bit of luck that the 1/2 jug of Sunoco 110 race fuel and tank of propane (in the weeds by the back trailer door, or where it used to be) didn't start a huge conflagration. 'Cause the first thing I do before towing home is take my Nomex off.

glueguy
glueguy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/19/15 8:40 a.m.

trailer is in the correct orientation and truck is inverted. I'd love to see the hitch and coupling area. Did they somehow stay connected?

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/19/15 8:45 a.m.

Even if you couldn't see the car, you could tell it was an RX-7: just look for the premix.

It's no small irony that on-track and strapped in is the safest place to be on any given race weekend. Here's hoping for a speedy recovery and adequate insurance. Bruised pride heals slower than a cracked rib.

NGTD
NGTD UltraDork
6/19/15 8:47 a.m.
glueguy wrote: trailer is in the correct orientation and truck is inverted. I'd love to see the hitch and coupling area. Did they somehow stay connected?

Judging by the state of the trailer, I am guessing that the orientation of the trailer was just luck. It's been overturned.

It looks like the truck and trailer are still connected. If they are the hitch and coupler must be twisted to E36 M3.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/19/15 8:49 a.m.

In fairness, the size of the truck isn't always in proportion to the size of the trailer.

While more is always better, I'd say an F-250 was within spec for the trailer.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/19/15 8:53 a.m.

^^Remember the days when you didn't see stackers and toterhomes at hpdes? You don't need a Kenworth and a CDL to club race. An F250 is plenty of truck for that trailer. E36 M3 happens. :(

tr8todd
tr8todd Dork
6/19/15 9:28 a.m.

An F250 is rated for towing well over 10,000 pounds. 2 Axle trailer means thats no more than a 9,000 trailer, but more likely only a 7,000. My F350 diesel is rated for something ridiculous like 18,500. The newer ones are rated over 20,000. I get 9,000 of trailer behind me and I forget its there on long trips. I get startled when I look in the rear view mirror and see something that close to me.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
6/19/15 1:18 p.m.

In reply to tr8todd:

I think some of the newest diesel 1 tons are actually into 26,000+, Class A CDL (if you're making money with it) territory now.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man HalfDork
6/19/15 1:23 p.m.

In reply to Kenny_McCormic:

The new 3500 Dually Rams can tow up to 30,000 lbs.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/19/15 2:10 p.m.

Was I the only one that was thinking that they should keep an eye out for a really nice vintage challenge care priced RX7?

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/19/15 2:14 p.m.

i'll be going through there on the way to the challenge. wonder if it was windy or just too much speed for the curve, etc. some of those curves are way tighter than they look on entry.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/19/15 2:25 p.m.

Anybody notice that he was travelling the opposite way?

He was headed south but ended up in teh North bound lanes. Geez, I wonder how that happened!

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
6/19/15 4:00 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr:

Armchair driver in me guesses he slammed on the brakes for something mid corner and the trailer brakes weren't set right (way light) or not working, so the trailer came around and whipped the whole rig into the median.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1898TbpBFRz1qvfFuLJ0c465UWVAbsZSoTA1HcWGs5fPoWJtIJv6EIxEF0S8BQcp