1 2 3 4 5 6
kb58
kb58 Reader
1/3/11 4:55 p.m.

Well if we're going to start quoting rules, how about "Slow traffic keep right?"

SupraWes
SupraWes Dork
1/3/11 4:57 p.m.

I rarely flash but do pass on the right regularly, I'm surprised I haven't been ticketed for it already. People in Florida seem to love to ride the left lane at under the speed limit when I am on the road, flashing rarely gets these morons attention, I just pass and keep going.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/3/11 5:01 p.m.
spitfirebill wrote: I don't camp out in the left lane, but in several trips up I-81 though VA and MD, the traffic is so heavy if you get in the right lane, you will never get back out. It really cheeses me off when someone flashes me and I'm the 30th car in the line. I ain't going no where and he isn't either when he gets around me.

All the more reason to let him past

I've always maintained that if you get cut off in Toronto, it's because the other driver has no idea you're there. But if you get cut off in Quebec, it was done on purpose and the other driver knows exactly where you are. It's more like driving in Italy.

David Adams
David Adams Reader
1/3/11 5:15 p.m.

Yeah, I've FTP'd before, and have noticed that the consensus holds true, it just tends to piss the people you're trying to pass off. If there's room to move over, I do a quick double tap, back off, repeat, if they still don't move, I just pass on the right as they are now aware that I'm behind them and attempting to go faster.

For some reason, when driving the company car:

DSC_0835.JPG

There never arises a time to flash the high beams, people just move. . .

Strange . . .

I kid, I kid . . .

wbjones
wbjones Dork
1/3/11 5:15 p.m.
Tom Suddard wrote: I do it occasionally, but only when there are no other cars around and the person has plenty of room to move over. Passing on the right is dangerous, and illegal here. Not to mention people shouldn't sit in the left lane doing 70 miles an hour on the phone eating a cheeseburger yelling at their kids while adjusting the radio. On the flip-side, I always watch my mirrors and move over at the first whiff of something coming behind me. It gives me hope for driving in America when others do the same, which is a rare occurrence.

http://www.driverlicenseschool.com/florida-drivers-handbook/3-9.html

Passing on the right is only legal when there are two or more lanes of traffic movingin the same direction or the vehicle you are passing is making a left turn. Pulling off the roadway to pass on the right is against the law.

Rufledt
Rufledt HalfDork
1/3/11 5:54 p.m.

Ah after reading all of this I realize why this is never a problem for me (giving or recieving flashing lights). I'm a total right lane camper. It's hard to flash people into the right lane when that is a ditch.

I now realize that doesn't sound right...

plance1
plance1 Dork
1/3/11 6:36 p.m.
Keith wrote:
spitfirebill wrote: I don't camp out in the left lane, but in several trips up I-81 though VA and MD, the traffic is so heavy if you get in the right lane, you will never get back out. It really cheeses me off when someone flashes me and I'm the 30th car in the line. I ain't going no where and he isn't either when he gets around me.

I started the original post and its clear from many of the responses that many "just don't get it".

Rarely does anyone flash their lights at me. Why? Because I'm never camped out in the left lane. I'm there to pass and pass only. On the rare occasions when I've had a mental lapse and I have been flashed, no offense taken, my mistake, allow me to move over and I will do so. In this case, I couldn't move over. So if you're the moron behind me or one of the people who have knee jerk posts that say simplistically "slower traffic move right", than truely you're just hopeless. If you are one of these people, some reflection is in order. Think about it, if you come up on somebody and they can't move over and you are flashing your lights at them, what now are you really going to accomplish? Nothing.

The second condition is also something that many of you "just don't get". Even if there was no one to the right of me, and I could have moved over, do you really think you're going to flash your lights at every car in the line and work your way through? People are going to just move over for you? So you can do what? Get 50 feet in front of someone else in the same line? Or are you one of the idiots that can't look ahead and see that the line of cars is passing a vehicle that is in the right lane up ahead? Time and time again its these guys, who can't or refuse to look ahead who add to an already dangerous situation caused by the lead car that is just creeping along and causing a line to form behind them while they go one mph faster than the car in the right lane, or as I'm used to seeing, when they insist upon driving along side someone, usually an 18 wheeler. In this case, I have typically found that the second or third car is just as deserving of blame as the lead car, because they refuse to pass on the right and go around the guy! Passing on the right in these circumstances shouldn't be illegal or wrong, heck it should be encouraged!

Its these same yahoos that tend to panic when they do get in front of the line. They panic and slow down, because without others there to tailgate or flash their lights at, they have no foil, on one to serve as a reference point. So after a few miles, you're then forced to pass them. Then you come upon some slower traffic, and then the idiot in the red cobra convertible comes up on you again, flashes the lights again, tailgates you again (forgetting of course you were going faster than he was on the open road). And the situation repeats itself over and over again. I see it day in and day out, it gets old.

Here are a few tips for the fast and the furious crowd out there:

1.) If you see someone blocked in, don't bother tailgating them or flashing your lights, etc, etc., especially if they have no way of speeding up.

2.) If you see a line of cars in the left lane, but plenty of open road on the right, ya might want to check why that is. Is there a truck that everyone is trying to pass? Look ahead dag-gum-it and use some common sense. If you are going to floor it and then cut over in front of someone who is trying to leave a 2 second space in front of themselves and the car in front of them, then congratulations you are an idiot.

3.) Here is a little trick for you guys, if you want to get people to move over, don't tailgate, its counter productive. Don't flash, that too usually just pisses people off. There is a sweet spot, a distance that you can follow someone where you are not tailgating, but you are making the person ever so slightly uncomfortable because they can't help but notice you. Find that distance and people will move over for you. It took me 20 years to learn it but it works 90% of the time. Sure you have to slow down to their speed but usually not for long.

kb58
kb58 Reader
1/3/11 6:51 p.m.
plance1 wrote: I started the original post and its clear from many of the responses that many "just don't get it".... So if you're the moron behind me or one of the people who have knee jerk posts that say simplistically "slower traffic move right", than truely you're just hopeless. ...

Read this thread again to see the context of why I said that. Ironically this perfectly illustrates why I said don't flash people - setting off their temper.

wbjones
wbjones Dork
1/3/11 6:52 p.m.

if there's room just pass on the rt...... all the sitting behind them and waiting for them to notice you and move over..??? 15 min I waited the last time I tried that... I don't flash I just wait for an opening on the rt and go around...

quite often you can tell the left lane camper is afraid to move over .. afraid they won't be able to get back to "they're" lane.. I mean they're going over the speed limit and ARE passing the occasional right lane car... aren't they ?

I usually wait for them to move over after they've passed and before they get to the next and when they don't I slide rt pass (without acting like an shiny happy person) and then move back to the left to pass the next same as they are doing... it's amazing how many cars will follow my move...

then if they're moving faster than I am I'll move back to the rt let them by come back left and follow..... rinse repeat.......................

kb58
kb58 Reader
1/3/11 6:57 p.m.

While we're ranting about this, how about the corrollary to left-lane hogs, that when you move right to get around them, they speed up so you can't get by. A perfect example of childishness, "I'm ahead of you and it's going to stay that way!"

plance1
plance1 Dork
1/3/11 7:00 p.m.
wbjones wrote: if there's room just pass on the rt...... all the sitting behind them and waiting for them to notice you and move over..??? 15 min I waited the last time I tried that... I don't flash I just wait for an opening on the rt and go around...

The technique I mentioned is only meant for situations where you just can't go around them for whatever reason.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/3/11 7:00 p.m.
Twin_Cam wrote: It's illegal to drive over the speed limit. Because of that, I am always going the speed limit on the highway. If I am passing a slower vehicle while going the speed limit, and you flash your highs at me, I care very little. Flash your highs at me while charging at my bumper in an Audi, I care even less. Do it while talking on a cell phone, I care not at all.

Sorry to pick on you Twin_Cam, but I was wondering when this take on it would get posted: I'm going the speed limit so I can do whatever I want.

You ALWAYS go the speed limit? Really?

What do you do if you're going .2mph faster than the person you're passing and they speed up?

Not everyone who drives a nice car, is in a hurry or uses a cellphone is an idiot. Begrudge people for being idiots, not because they're idiots in nice cars.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
1/3/11 7:01 p.m.

Get out of the way and let them work their way up the line. Someone needs to tell the ass at the front of the line to move and apparently none of you pansies will do it.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/3/11 7:06 p.m.
MrJoshua wrote: Get out of the way and let them work their way up the line. Someone needs to tell the ass at the front of the line to move and apparently none of you pansies will do it.

That's not right, but I do get a chuckle at that thought. I'm not quite enraged enough, so I'll get out of the way and let someone else be the dillhole and bust the clog.

Zomby woof
Zomby woof Dork
1/3/11 7:18 p.m.
plance1 wrote:
Keith wrote:
I started the original post and its clear from many of the responses that many "just don't get it".

It's now clearer than ever that you just don't get it.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/3/11 8:27 p.m.
MrJoshua wrote: Get out of the way and let them work their way up the line. Someone needs to tell the ass at the front of the line to move and apparently none of you pansies will do it.

This isn't a bad idea. I've seen it work often and been the clog buster before. I came up behind twenty plus cars following a state trooper running 4 mph under the limit. Over the next 20 miles I worked my way to the front of the line and passed him on the left. Clog busted. Also works for people not paying attention.

As the OP said if the guy in front of you isn't uncomfortable with you being behind them most times they won't move. That sweet spot is different for every driver. Some of them you have to be right up behind them, some of them start looking at the right lane as soon as they see you. Some of them a flash of the lights is all that wakes them up. Doing this when they are already behind a line of cars is stupid but people still do it.

To the OP, it sucks being in the situation you describe. I usually reach up and rather obviously adjust the review mirror so I can't see them anymore and ignore them. Half the time it pisses them off, half the time they get the point. I also slide to the right side of the lane so they can see the line of cars in front of me. (I drive a full size van most of the time.) Again half the time it works, half the time it doesn't. Either way ignoring them always works for me.

Rufledt
Rufledt HalfDork
1/3/11 8:32 p.m.
Zomby woof wrote:
plance1 wrote:
Keith wrote:
It's now clearer than ever that you just don't get it.

Who doesn't get what? I don't get it

admc58
admc58 New Reader
1/3/11 8:43 p.m.

I have had people think that I was flashing my high beams due to crowing over a hill and/or having a load in the trunk...due to the sharp cutoff in the center of late model low beam lights. the car bouncing along flicks up into the rear window.

One guy flipped me off when I finally passed him and tried to run along side me to prevent my merging back into the traffic line. Another drove along beside me when we got to the 4-lane section flipping me off. I had not tailgated either person or cut them off.

I finally figured it out and lowered the aim of the low beams a little below factory aim.

irish44j
irish44j Dork
1/3/11 8:57 p.m.

meh, having lived in italy i don't get too bent about drivers flashing me. In Europe, if someone flashes you, you get over in any way you can. It doesn't matter if you are going 75 in a 55. If someone has caught you, they're faster than you and you move over.

EXCEPT: In Italy, if in the left lane moving at a good clip, you can put on your left signal and leave it on. This indicates to upcoming super-speed drivers that you're not moving over with a flash, and that they should go around you to the right somehow. And it works. Left signal on, nobody flashes you in the left lane. Left signal off, and you WILL get flashed. Becuase my old Lancia could not put up the kind of pace that the 5-series BMWs wanted to run at, lol...

Here in the US, if I get flashed in the left lane, I either: 1. If the person behind me is in a fast car, I let them by. Let them get the ticket - I'll duck back in behind them once they pass me. 2. If the person behind me is in a truck or large SUV (I hate behing behind them), or something that looks unsafe at fast speeds....I simply push the right pedal down and leave them far behind. If you're gonna flash, you better be able to back it up with some speed, lol. 3. If I have traffic in front of me and STILL get flashed, I WILL slow down and/or ride the brake lights. And you will get there even slower than you otherwise would have.

I most hate when I get flashed, move over, pull back behind the person, and then they go the same speed that I was going when I was in front of them. berkeleyers....

I almost never flash other cars myself. Americans don't understand it, and chances are the person in front will either get pissed and slow down/do something stupid/rage, or won't do anything at all. I have no problem passing on the right in whatever lane is available. Left lane in US really isn't a "fast lane" anyhow. After all, the speed limit is the same on all lanes. If I'm going 70 in a 55 already, I hardly feel obligated to slow down to 60 in the middle lane just so you can go by. Americans have no patience (me included).

All that said, I watch my rearview on the highway, and if a fast mover is coming up in my lane, I do my best to clear out of the way before he gets up on my ass - either by going faster or moving over. Like I said, let him get the speeding ticket, I'll just sit a few hundred feet back and follow the cop-screen.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/3/11 9:36 p.m.

I aggree with you about American's getting all pissy when you flash them. I remember the last time I flashed somebody (about 20 years ago) I was doing 70 in a 55 at night in my Fiat. I came up on an old stationwagon (THe only car on the road) chugging away in the left hand Passing lane.. so I gave them a single flash and they moved over.. as soon as I passed, they floored it, put on thier highs.. and rode my ass for 5 miles till I got off at the next rest stop

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/3/11 9:39 p.m.
irish44j wrote: 3. If I have traffic in front of me and STILL get flashed, I WILL slow down and/or ride the brake lights. And you will get there even slower than you otherwise would have.

Careful what you wish for. Anything other than maintaining steady speed etc can get you the "instigation of road rage award" here in MA. On call from the person behind you to the cops is all it takes. Here in the peoples republic of Massachusetts they have been taking that rather seriously as of late. Brake jacking or gear jacking, slowing down and then speeding up are but a few of the things you can can have fun with those people that absolutely have to get by you. But remember that you are also just as liable.

I use to get excited about this stuff (I have been on both sides of the flashing lights over the years.) Then it occurred to me. Who is the bigger idiot. The idiot or the person that wins the argument with an idiot?

I only flash some one of they are on the cell phone in the left lane doing 10 under the limit. Other than that it is a wast of time. If you need to get some place sooner leave 5 minutes earlier and laugh at all the people going mental rushing.

Ohya Another thing that has actually slowed me down is my GPS. It give ETA based on current speed and the difference between going 55 or 80 is usually no more than 5-7 minutes for the average commute. With this realisation why go 80 and stress the cops and what not. Leave 5 minutes early get a cup of joe relax and drive to where ever.

Dang do I ramble on... . .

irish44j
irish44j Dork
1/3/11 9:57 p.m.

In reply to dean1484:

meh, when I say I "will slow down" I mean that instead of doing 70 in the 55 like I was, I will now decide to go precisely the speed limit. And if he wants to call the police to report me going the speed limit, I guess I'll take my chances on a ticket with that.

Officer: I got a call that you were going slow in the left lane. You know that's illegal, right?

Me: Officer, it is illegal to go the speed limit in the left lane?

Officer: The left lane is for passing only.

Me: Officer, the speed limit is 55. I was going 55. I was passing every car on the road that was going slower than 55. If people on my right were passing me, then they were illegally speeding. Are you suggesting that I should be speeding as well?

kthanxbye ;)

Rufledt
Rufledt HalfDork
1/3/11 10:07 p.m.

I've never trusted being able to out-logic an upset police officer. I'm sure there's a law for pointing out policeman stupidity or something to get a ticket anyway. I have noticed cops picking on young people or something, though. I remember once a cop came screaming up behind me in the left lane on some interstate in MA (I was going pretty far over the speed limit but not beyond reason for the Boston area) and I moved over when i saw him comming, not noticing he was a cop, and he slowed way down next to my car, looked inside looking slightly angry, saw me, then looked disappointed and moved on. I'm guessing he was expecting some punk in a ricer with a bad haircut. Turns out a white guy with a beard wearing a tweed jacket with matching femmy brown scarf doesn't interest police in Boston... Or maybe he was appreciative I moved over before he got to me. I doubt that last one, but who knows.

Nitroracer
Nitroracer SuperDork
1/3/11 11:46 p.m.
Ian F wrote:
kb58 wrote: It assumes he's a well-balanced individual. Some people take great personal offence at being told via flashing lights that they're driving sucks. In these cases it doesn't matter if you think you're being polite, if the other guy has a hair-trigger temper. They're about as bright as a rock in a river causing the water to have to go around them on either side - don't try reasoning with a rock, just go around.
Yep. Flashing in the New York/Philly area is rare. Short tempers are not. As a result, flashing is damn near a 100% sure-fire way to get brake-checked around here.

This is what I have picked up from the region where I drive.

Seems like the flashing lights issue is like drifting, we all have opinions on it and there are different points trying to be made. Very situational as well.

I know we had this debate not long ago because I made a post in that one.

I've slowed down as of late I'll let the shiny happy person have the ticket. I make a three hour trip to and from college about once a month and I can average 65, 70, 75, etc and it takes damn near three hours regardless of what I do and what traffic I encounter.

smog7
smog7 Dork
1/4/11 12:57 a.m.
mtn wrote: I usually see flashing the brights as the height of shiny happy person-ishness. There are times when it is acceptable, but for the most part when it has happened to me, it is just a dick. I'm in the left lane because it is the passing lane. That means that I am passing someone. If I haven't moved over yet, its because I can't. I'm checking my mirrors, I know you're there. Don't be a douche. I actually think that I've posted a similar rant on here before.

exactly!

1 2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nzgLEylLUB9JqpWnZWNKOBWRil3pI5uibFXdUzhasBsfMc4J7Eqyr4JnmPnO2nRk