1 2
Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
9/11/20 12:13 p.m.
feature_image

Wagons. Either you love them or hate them. If you are anything like us, you think that wagons are pretty cool, especially when it’s a sporty wagon based on one of the automotive world's favorite performance hatchbacks, the Focus ST.

The warmed-up version of the Focus may be gone from American shores, but, like a lot of really interesting cars built these …

Read the rest of the story

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/11/20 12:21 p.m.

I'll take the diesel!

I'll settle for the petrol version?

Not even a little?

No, thank you, I don't think I'll settle for an Escape...

It's frustrating enough to think that the modern world is just done with wagons and wants SUVs and the like. But somehow it's even worse to think that it's not universal, we just can't get wagons here. That in this huge market, where you'd think a given niche would be as big as some entire national markets, there isn't enough call to offer them.

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) Reader
9/11/20 12:31 p.m.

Want.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/11/20 12:33 p.m.

Tease... (sigh...) sad

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
9/11/20 12:34 p.m.

Almost enough to make me want to move to Europe. Almost

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
9/11/20 12:36 p.m.

I can't wait to import one of these in 25 years. *sigh*

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
9/11/20 12:37 p.m.

What an interesting car.  I see a lot of Mazda in those body lines. 

shane86
shane86 New Reader
9/11/20 12:38 p.m.

If we'er talking glorious things we can't have.. how about the M140i Hatchback.
335 HP 6cyl turbo, 3 or 5 door hatch.. RWD, optional factory limited slip diff, Manual and 8-speed auto options, with a wheelbase that's only 9" longer than the current Z4.  

God, I want one so bad.  

mad_machine (Forum Supporter)
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/11/20 12:58 p.m.
Jesse Ransom said:

It's frustrating enough to think that the modern world is just done with wagons and wants SUVs and the like. But somehow it's even worse to think that it's not universal, we just can't get wagons here. That in this huge market, where you'd think a given niche would be as big as some entire national markets, there isn't enough call to offer them.

They do not want to sell niche vehicles here.  They want to move millions of a model every day.  

BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter)
BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
9/11/20 1:14 p.m.

If only...

If that were sold here I’d seriously reconsider my dedication to not having a car payment. The Focus ST is a riot and with a wagon body it would be perfectly sized for my needs/wants.

I had thought about trading our plain old Focus sedan for an ST but the hatch wasn’t really enough of a space improvement to justify the upgrade. A wagon would be a different story.

...If only.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/11/20 1:18 p.m.

In reply to shane86 :

That was so yesterday. Does the diesel, MT, ST wagon come in brown?

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/11/20 1:27 p.m.

In reply to mad_machine (Forum Supporter) :

Of course they do. But the smaller markets make clear that enough vehicles to sell can be worth selling.

I suppose it's a management/marketing philosophy thing. The phrase "world car" got bandied about a lot a few years ago. There are gains and losses in all sorts of decisions, and the contemporary management philosophies getting the most traction seem drive these decisions. C-level execs get excited about the efficiencies of doing an entire continent in two platforms, then they get excited about the efficiencies of doing the whole world in four platfoms. Both have truths, both are subject probably as much to implementation details and regulatory specifics to play out as the better option. I'm sure there are a bunch of other inputs to the decisions.

I imagine the big one is deciding whether something like the wagon above would take more from a competitor or from other of their own options. As soon as there's a tipping point on taking more of a competitor's sales by some margin...

More to the point, I used the word niche, but I used it in the context of that "niche" being the size of an entire national market elsewhere in the world. That's really a different meaning than a "niche vehicle" like a Miata.

rodknock
rodknock Reader
9/11/20 1:44 p.m.

I wish Ford didn't make the move to only sell CUVs and Mustangs in the US. But we didn't get the last gen wagon either so indecision

rattfink81
rattfink81 Reader
9/11/20 3:08 p.m.

Had ford sold that in the US either me or the wife would have bought one new as We both love really wagons and manuals. 

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
9/11/20 3:19 p.m.

[insert comment of "if they sold it here I'd buy it in 10 years when I can afford it]

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
9/11/20 3:19 p.m.

Ugh, don’t show me this!

There was actually a wagon version of the last ST too. Europe only of course.

Im sad Ford doesn’t sell any of the new Focii in the US. It’s a good looking car and the last one drove  well, don i assume this one does too.

cmcgregor (Forum Supporter)
cmcgregor (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
9/11/20 3:38 p.m.

I miss my ST. It's one of the only fun cars I've had that my wife has also liked driving, since it wasn't a. a total pile of crap or b. impossible to see out of. I'd be a buyer if we could get that here.

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/11/20 5:33 p.m.

FML Ford, FML.

Now, make an RS version and go after the Subaru and similar owners.

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
9/11/20 5:42 p.m.

Does it have rear facing seats?  Please tell me it has rear facing seats

11GTCS
11GTCS Reader
9/11/20 6:32 p.m.

I’d daily that but nooooo, we can only drive trucks and SUVs cause ‘murica’.  Sigh...

I mean I like trucks when I need to do truck things but if I’m driving somewhere I’d rather there be some fun involved.

Edited to add: just noticed the 3,900 pound tow rating.  Yup, that checks the final box for me. Sigh.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/11/20 6:58 p.m.

Thanks for posting. Now I'm depressed.

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/11/20 11:15 p.m.

That said, a friend did have an older Focus Wagon and he had the tailgate latch repaired about 6 times before he gave up and left it latched and never used it.

So, there's a chance for some quality Ford engineering to show through (said as a '16 Focus RS owner)

Still, I'd like a chance to own one myself, but that would make too much sense, right?!

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
9/11/20 11:54 p.m.

Dear Ford, it is okay to sell wagons in the states. Subaru sells a butt load of them every year called the Outback!

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
9/12/20 1:38 p.m.

I'm curious, what's the the take rate of these ST wagons in Europe? It can't be that high can it? I used to live in the UK and I never saw one. I'd see plenty of the HB ST, just never the wagon.

I'm wondering if it's really that much worse than what it would be in the US.

iceracer
iceracer MegaDork
9/13/20 4:06 p.m.

After 30+years of Ford cars I now own my last one.  They have nothing that appeals to me.

The dealer even tried to steal my FiST away from me by an offer on a EcoBoost.   They must think I'm crazy.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wysdgsvSZ3Mt5LEllpXA2cXR1tg9W0Xvmg2oFK5G09Z7x1oVRh66wBLyrnlaZJnG