David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/7/20 10:26 a.m.
feature_image

If the as-promised Porsche Cayman GT4 Clubsport prepared for the FIA R-GT comes about, who else is up for one–assuming the proper scratch, of course? 

From a 2019 release:

The Porsche Motorsport department in Weissach, Germany is developing the 718 Cayman GT4 Clubsport to comply with the FIA R-GT regulations to make its return to rallying. The mid-engine machine is …

Read the rest of the story

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/7/20 10:38 a.m.

There is a wide chasm between what a Porsche can do...and what I would be willing to do to it. This for example is an amazing car, and I am certain it would dominate ice racing and rallying. However, the car will also appreciate in value if left in pristine condition, so it takes stupid-level money to race these things. I am glad people have that kind of scratch because I love watching Porsches compete, but if I was able to buy one, I would sit on it for 5 years then sell it for beaucoup bucks to buy a full-on WRX rally car and have $ left for spares, hotels, a tow vehicle and trailer...  

Vajingo
Vajingo New Reader
9/7/20 11:08 a.m.

In reply to pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) :

Depends on who you have buy or race the car. Celebrity status adds value. 

dps214
dps214 HalfDork
9/7/20 11:25 a.m.

It's definitely the only version of the 718 GT4 I'm at all excited about.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/7/20 12:41 p.m.

I like it so much that I won't even hate on the person that does a Macan tribute version and brings it rallycrossing. 

David S. Wallens
9/8/20 8:13 a.m.

Something else about that car: Notice how simple yet effective the graphics package is. 

fidelity101 (Forum Supporter)
fidelity101 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
9/8/20 9:32 a.m.

wonder how they are going to fit gravel tires around those huge brakes or the word rallying is only relative to road rally for that car. Either way - that car is HOT!

Hayrider
Hayrider New Reader
9/8/20 12:40 p.m.

If I won one in a giveaway I probably couldn't afford the sales tax on it! But boy I would love to have a large wide open patch of asphalt to see if I could Hoonigan it! LoL...

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
3/16/23 3:20 p.m.

Love it! I need a set of those tires for the Michigan winters!

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/16/23 4:22 p.m.

Old post but it makes blood run to my nether bit.

David S. Wallens
3/17/23 9:46 a.m.

In reply to preach (dudeist priest) :

The Cayman shape has aged so, so well. 

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 HalfDork
3/17/23 10:35 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

In reply to preach (dudeist priest) :

The Cayman shape has aged so, so well. 

Could be that, or it could be the 911 shape has aged so porkly, i mean porky, I mean poorly, that the Cayman shape has taken the new fixed roof parking spot sized following.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/17/23 10:41 a.m.
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) said:

There is a wide chasm between what a Porsche can do...and what I would be willing to do to it. This for example is an amazing car, and I am certain it would dominate ice racing and rallying. However, the car will also appreciate in value if left in pristine condition, so it takes stupid-level money to race these things. I am glad people have that kind of scratch because I love watching Porsches compete, but if I was able to buy one, I would sit on it for 5 years then sell it for beaucoup bucks to buy a full-on WRX rally car and have $ left for spares, hotels, a tow vehicle and trailer...  

The only reason Porsches appreciate is because they get raced. Otherwise, they're just weird looking cars with powertrain choices that were abandoned by the rest of the industry decades ago. So do your part, use it as intended. It doesn't actually cost you any more to race this one than it would to race another new car that depreciates, that potential appreciation is only a thing if you sell it.

j_tso
j_tso Dork
3/17/23 10:56 a.m.

I'm not seeing a lot of press about R-GT competition, does the class travel with classic rallies like Trans Am with SVRA? FIA's website shows 5 events in Europe.

There are videos showing other R-GTs of the Alpine A110 (naturally) and Fiat 124 Spyder, not seeing Caymans but there's a 997 competing. I remember Lotus making an R-GT Elise a while back but haven't seen one in action.

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
3/17/23 1:06 p.m.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_R-GT

https://www.fia.com/events/r-gt-cup/season-2023/r-gt-cup

Looks like they run alongside ERC and WRC events that are predominantly tarmac. 

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/19/23 8:37 p.m.
fidelity101 (Forum Supporter) said:

wonder how they are going to fit gravel tires around those huge brakes or the word rallying is only relative to road rally for that car. Either way - that car is HOT!

Tarmac rally, thats how.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
O0E5GHu3fgWY25r3pSRxtlOOZ5JBmLcQRJb2D8Is7u86zXpprb42TeBOkwbS1IQW