1 ... 3 4 5
JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
9/9/10 5:00 p.m.

Love it. As soon as I can get my wife to scan the old photos I'll post up what my old GTI looked like and why the early 90s were bad.

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
9/10/10 10:40 a.m.

Here ya go...my first "real" autocross car. (I did 1 autocross in an automatic T3 squareback and was hooked so I went out and bought this for $300) Photos are after I fixed it up and painted it.

mrwillie
mrwillie Reader
9/10/10 10:45 a.m.

In reply to JThw8:

That's nice....you still have it?

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
9/10/10 10:52 a.m.
mrwillie wrote: In reply to JThw8: That's nice....you still have it?

No its long gone, that is circa 1996 or so

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
9/10/10 11:42 a.m.
ratghia wrote: I ordered my wheels. I know they aren't an original idea and they are reps but I still like the look. I got 15x7 because I think 16's look too big on a mk1. Hopefully they will get here sometime next week. Now I just need to get tires.

where did you get the wheels from? I dig!

Otto_Maddox
Otto_Maddox Reader
9/10/10 1:13 p.m.

In reply to JThw8:

The car is nice, but the cute kid is the star of the pictures. Time flies. She is probably out of diapers by now.

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
9/10/10 6:05 p.m.
Otto_Maddox wrote: In reply to JThw8: The car is nice, but the cute kid is the star of the pictures. Time flies. She is probably out of diapers by now.

She's a sophomore in H.S. Time does indeed fly.

ratghia
ratghia Reader
9/17/10 6:34 a.m.

In reply to JThw8:

Thanks for the pics. I honestly like 90's customs with 80's cars. I would never paint one like that now, but if I found one already done up I would rock it.

ratghia
ratghia Reader
9/17/10 6:38 a.m.

I got the wheels from Wheelstudio.

ratghia
ratghia Reader
9/17/10 6:43 a.m.

I got my Volvo 240 turbo fuel distributor. I took all the fuel lines off of it and they all had fresh fuel in them and weren't gunned up. I'm hoping that this means it won't need a rebuild.

ratghia
ratghia Reader
11/16/10 8:11 p.m.

Well I'm sorry to say that if everything goes as it should the GTI will be leaving on Saturday. I really do like the car and hate to see it go, but I got accepted to the college that I want to go to and it's located in Erie. The GTI just isn't the greatest car to do a 7 hour long all freeway trip in on a regular basis.

The good news is that I will be getting a car I have always liked in trade and I'm getting a very good deal since he wants a Mk1 project. Also the GTI is going to a guy who already owns a Golf R32 and will be getting a full resto.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
11/16/10 11:05 p.m.
ratghia wrote: Well I'm sorry to say that if everything goes as it should the GTI will be leaving on Saturday. I really do like the car and hate to see it go, but I got accepted to the college that I want to go to and it's located in Erie. The GTI just isn't the greatest car to do a 7 hour long all freeway trip in on a regular basis. The good news is that I will be getting a car I have always liked in trade and I'm getting a very good deal since he wants a Mk1 project. Also the GTI is going to a guy who already owns a Golf R32 and will be getting a full resto.

Good to hear the car's going to a good home, but you gotta spill..what did you get in the trade?

ratghia
ratghia Reader
11/17/10 6:12 a.m.

I am getting a 1997 Jetta GLX (VR6). The car had the chains and clutch done a few thousand miles ago. It has a set of new coilovers and some new snow tires on it now. It also has a new TT exhaust and a real euro VR6 lip. Photobucket is down right now but when it is back up I'll post some pics. I'm so excited for Saturday and as long as the car is as advertised and how it looks in the pictures I think I'm getting a good deal.

derricklaukaitis
derricklaukaitis New Reader
11/17/10 1:00 p.m.

You're going to miss the old MK1... Here's one my neighbor and I did a few years back. He's had owned it from new and it survived all three of his daughters. We're planning an engine swap for next Winter, but the bodywork is primarily done... Just needs a rollbar.

ratghia
ratghia Reader
11/17/10 2:47 p.m.

That's a nice build and it looks like it would be a lot of un to drive. I know I’m going to miss the GTI, but I've had it for a while and it just isn't going to work as a good daily anymore. I wish I could keep it, but to do that I'd have to sell the Ghia and I can't do that.

Here is the new ride come Saturday:

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
11/18/10 12:43 a.m.
ratghia wrote: That's a nice build and it looks like it would be a lot of un to drive. I know I’m going to miss the GTI, but I've had it for a while and it just isn't going to work as a good daily anymore. I wish I could keep it, but to do that I'd have to sell the Ghia and I can't do that. Here is the new ride come Saturday:

Sweet! Trust me, once you get into the VR6, you're gonna love it. They've got their quirks, but having the chains already done eliminates half of them. And yeah, since it takes so much to do the chains, throwing the clutch in at the same time is a very common thing to do, so I think the seller's telling the truth about that.

I seem to be one of the few VW guys that drives watercooled, but loves the aircooled stuff (and I've also heard a bunch of aircooled guys say I'm not a real VW guy because everything I have is watercooled..ugh. Why is there a "civil war" when there shouldn't be?). Hate to see that you had to let the GTI go..but I'm stoked that you did it to hang on to the Ghia.

derricklaukaitis
derricklaukaitis New Reader
11/29/10 2:24 p.m.
ratghia wrote: That's a nice build and it looks like it would be a lot of fun to drive. I know I’m going to miss the GTI, but I've had it for a while and it just isn't going to work as a good daily anymore. I wish I could keep it, but to do that I'd have to sell the Ghia and I can't do that.

Yea, I would have kept the Ghia over the GTI. You're going to love your VR6!

1 ... 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VEHVwERT4IjiYs5ndbJEBzymkOufIhQtXDj0E9UxVsFVHDWnCJ6XKvoQoqfosxKj