GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
12/28/20 10:32 a.m.

I gotta get back to getting an International Harvester tractor I bought to work, and the generator (Genset?) is still sitting on my bench; it's not just because I'm busy with house things, but because in reading past threads here there's apparently a process to rebuilding a generator that has completely de-energized. Something like it has to be rebuilt in a specific manner so it doesn't just act as just another brushed DC motor or something? Either way, the IH FSM shockingly lacks details.

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/28/20 10:53 a.m.

I think what you may want to google around for is a procedure for "flashing" the generator.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
12/28/20 10:59 a.m.

Karacticus is correct. It is simple.

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
12/28/20 1:50 p.m.

It will need to be polarized to whatever your tractor is, positive or negative ground.

Procedures can vary depending on who manufactured it but it's probably a Delco. I don't think IHC used Autolite.

Google is your friend, it's as simple as assembling the generator and touching two of the wires together while it's on the engine and turning.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
12/28/20 7:18 p.m.

It may need to be polarized, but not always.  It will be obvious when you start the car if it's discharging instead of charging.

benzbaronDaryn
benzbaronDaryn SuperDork
12/29/20 1:04 a.m.

On my welder/generator there is a way you magnetize the windings, think you apply 12vdc + to one side of the windings for a period of time. I can't remember but something like that, good luck with it.  

WonkoTheSane (FS)
WonkoTheSane (FS) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/29/20 10:21 a.m.

If your IH is like my '74 IH Cub Cadet with a Delco 12V starter/generator, here's all you have to do:

Attach one clip to the A terminal on the generator. With the other clip, briefly for only a split-second (or a spark occurs) tap the positive ( + ) terminal on the battery

6 volt & postive ground are a bit different.  I've followed this guide which is where I copied the above from: http://fergusontractors.org/nfs/wp-content/uploads/technical-articles/Polarizing-a-Generator.pdf

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ep9Y6cD5sEFOnDrdtLxJs1jkIb12Y3DNUIA2zSEUZ4NSA2hm5met1Pno3CnhOuam