1 2 3
mtn
mtn MegaDork
1/18/19 3:19 p.m.

I consider myself to know of just about every car that has been available in the US in the past 30 years. Now, I'm sure that there are some supercars (don't think it is available in the US, but the Arrinera Hussarya for example) out there, or low-production specialty cars of some sort that I don't know of. But last night I just found out last night about the existence of the Kia Borrego. A KIA 3-row SUV. Huh. How had I never heard of this? 

And BTW, this seems like a pretty cool one. You could get it with a V8 and 7500k towing capacity. It is a real SUV; body on frame RWD/4WD. How about that? Didn't sell hardly at all, so it was only available in the US for one year. Canada for another 1-2. But still--how did I not know about this thing? 

What else is out there? 

NickD
NickD UberDork
1/18/19 5:17 p.m.

We sold one used from our work about 4 years ago. Shortly afterwards it suffered some sort of driveline failure. It was under warranty so it went to a Kia dealer, where it sat for 3 months because even then, parts were unobtanium

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/18/19 5:24 p.m.

I didnt know they still made full chevy express Van's till I cut a key for a 2018. 

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
1/18/19 5:57 p.m.

I can't identify most less than 5 year old crossovers.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/18/19 6:01 p.m.

The Borrego. Kia jumps into the high dollar game and 15 mpg while the US housing crash is happening and gas is $4.

https://www.autotrader.com/car-news/does-anyone-remember-kia-borrego-suv-257815

CyberEric
CyberEric HalfDork
1/18/19 6:22 p.m.

Everything by Infiniti that isn't the G35.

I also saw a strange small Buick crossover yesterday that I didn't know existed. 

Oh, and I didn't know the Lincoln MKZ was still out there and was so fast!

RossD
RossD MegaDork
1/18/19 6:45 p.m.

How about that Buick convertible?

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/18/19 8:08 p.m.

I remember when Car & Driver had road tests of everything, and not just 1%er hypercars, or increasingly, hypertrucks.

That's where I always got my new car information.  The plebemobile tests, and the new model-year breakdown.

I blame the death of Don Schroeder for the lack of good info.  If I wanted to read about E36 M3 that nobody buys but 14 year olds argue about, I'd buy Road & Track.

(The first issue of GRM that I ever saw, had an article about modifying a water pump while in the process of putting a Mazda engine in a Triumph chassis with a Volkswagen Diesel radiator.  I knew that I'd found my people)

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
1/18/19 8:14 p.m.

The Toyota Venza was on sale for at least 5 years before I ever noticed one. I remember being so baffled that there could possible be a Toyota I didn't recognize that I had to immediately look it up online to see whether it was USDM.

Grizz
Grizz UberDork
1/18/19 8:24 p.m.

I didn't know the x2 was a thing until I saw one on the road. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/18/19 8:38 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

Kind of sad fact: Don Schroeder was my sophomore college roommate. He had a slant six Satellite   but he used to borrow the LeMans all the time because it had a V8. 

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UberDork
1/18/19 9:56 p.m.

Wait, there's a reliable German car now?  

buzzboy
buzzboy HalfDork
1/18/19 10:10 p.m.

In reply to volvoclearinghouse :

No, that can't be right.

Opti
Opti HalfDork
1/18/19 11:26 p.m.

They put a diesel in the cruze in the late 2000s, saw one of Craiglist is my only proof they exist in the wild.

I've seen A Veracruz.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/19/19 12:23 a.m.

There are (were) Suzuki pickup trucks. I know it's a re-badge, but I double take a look every time I see one.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UltraDork
1/19/19 3:03 a.m.

i suppose the newest VW bloatasaurus and the Vulva 510 concept rip off caught my eye most recently. cool

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk PowerDork
1/19/19 7:04 a.m.
RossD said:

Cascada.... a name we should all forget.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk PowerDork
1/19/19 7:06 a.m.
Appleseed said:

There are (were) Suzuki pickup trucks. I know it's a re-badge, but I double take a look every time I see one.

Suzuki ? Or are you thinking of the rebadged Chevy sold as an Isuzu?

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/19/19 8:22 a.m.
DeadSkunk said:
Appleseed said:

They were rebadged Dodge Dakotas. 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/19/19 8:24 a.m.

My aunt just bought something called a Chevy Trax because the trans in her Tiburon ate itself. I've never even heard of such a thing. 

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/19/19 8:27 a.m.
Appleseed said:

Suzuki was such a strange brand in the US. Sure, most of them were rebadge jobs but they were funky. Like the 04-06 Verona that came with a Daewoo 2.5L inline 6.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
1/19/19 8:43 a.m.
Pete Gossett said:
DeadSkunk said:
Appleseed said:

They were rebadged Dodge Dakotas. 

No, you’re thinking of the Mitsubishi. Used to be a ton of them around Normal. 

The Suzuki was a Nissan. 

NickD
NickD UberDork
1/19/19 9:04 a.m.
DeadSkunk said:
RossD said:

Cascada.... a name we should all forget.

I work at a GM dealer and we had one come in for an oil change and I got handed the repair order and I had to stare long and hard trying to even remember what a Cascada was. I kept thinking that the service writer butchered Acadia. Then I had to go on Buick's website to see if we even still made the things (We did, up until this year). What a pointless car. For less money, you could get a Camaro convertible with more power, more room, better styling, a better chassis and an interior that isn't cribbed from the poverty-spec Verano.

ztnedman1
ztnedman1 New Reader
1/19/19 9:13 a.m.

Nissan kick(s?), juke replacement thing.  Never heard anything about it until I started seeing them.

NickD
NickD UberDork
1/19/19 9:20 a.m.
ztnedman1 said:

Nissan kick(s?), juke replacement thing.  Never heard anything about it until I started seeing them.

Well, that literally just came out, so that's to be expected that you've never heard of it or seen one. It's much worse than the vehicle it replaced. Less power, worse fuel economy, FWD only (no AWD option), CVT only.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SMfl4MeDQPGJwQPgowemvUUGt4AR4p6fE7whAv8oWLqIgX6FnLYCd4c8zeKilR4E