1 2
preach
preach GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/11/24 4:25 p.m.

Another Motive guy here.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/11/24 7:40 p.m.

I just bought a vacuum brake bleeder kit, this one. 

I'm replacing the lines in my trailer, and I need a way to clear the air without having to pump the actuator multiple times.

Should I return it for one of the Motive bleeders?

jgrewe
jgrewe Dork
4/11/24 7:56 p.m.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

I've tried vacuum bleeders and the only way I could be sure I wasn't pulling air through the threads on a bleeder was to put a wrap of teflon tape on them.

I ended up getting the Motive.

dps214
dps214 SuperDork
4/11/24 8:36 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:

Now, someone wants to make non-DOT-Legal dyed fluid, more power to em

Project mu gfour 335. It's green, and as an added bonus turns clear if it gets over a certain temperature as an indicator that it needs to be flushed.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/11/24 9:51 p.m.

In reply to jgrewe :

I ordered one. 

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/12/24 6:31 p.m.

I went old school and made one.  No pics, but I took a piece of 1/8" plate steel and glued some rubber to the bottom.  Drilled and tapped for 1/4 NPT and put in an air nipple.  Set my air pressure regulator to about 20 psi, clamp that puppy on top of the reservoir, go to each wheel and bleed.

Only thing you need to be aware of is your fluid level.  I have done it before where I had some stubborn bubbles and ended up draining the reservoir.

4/12/24 6:36 p.m.
jgrewe said:

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

I've tried vacuum bleeders and the only way I could be sure I wasn't pulling air through the threads on a bleeder was to put a wrap of teflon tape on them.

I ended up getting the Motive.

Same here with the vacuum bleeder.  I can't do it without getting constant misleading bubbles in the hose

4/12/24 6:41 p.m.
carbidetooth said:

ATE must have used some kind of compatible dye, I guess the question is what could a DIYer add?

Only thing I can think of is alcohol dye, but then you have to dissolve it in alcohol.  I don't want anything that boils that easily in my brake fluid.

HVAC folks use a leak dye in glycol-based refrigerant systems.  I would want to know what's in it first.

glycol leak dye

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/12/24 7:14 p.m.

I'm gonna be the dissenting opinion here. I've never been happy with the brake feel I get with our Motive - and you can bet we have the correct adapters and things. It always feels like there's just a little bit of air in the system. I generally just pump to move large amounts of fluid, then move to gravity bleeding for the finishing touch. If I'm just trying to get abused fluid out of the calipers, I'll start with the gravity bleed.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
4/12/24 10:02 p.m.

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

Glycol dyes are (I believe) still dissolved in a percentage of water.  Why not go with a powdered dye?  You'd still have to figure out what was safe to mix, but it wouldn't have any stuff you don't want in there.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aSyYJxJmfMTcJ1RgmugMg7b8IpyfdMwrJX0F4tVKnTejUQ1gdalVVedcadQ6emEi