TorqueNut
TorqueNut New Reader
9/9/08 2:20 p.m.

Hi all,

I’m in the market for a NB Miata. My initial purchase budget is ~10K, so that puts me in the market for a 1999-2001 Miata. Since I am keeping an eye out for future use in competing in autox (starting in stock class for a few years), I was wondering if there was a certain year/option package that is most desirable? I’m assuming the sport suspension would be the most preferred (preferably without the leather package, of which there are plenty out there). I would think a special edition would be the next choice (has the suspension bits but unfortunately it has wood trim and steering wheel which looks a bit gaudy to me).

I just want to make sure I’m not missing something. Thoughts?

And yes, I’m searching miata.net as well, but I always like to hear the input from this board

moxnix
moxnix New Reader
9/9/08 2:27 p.m.

for stock class autox the 99 sport (Hard S suspension) is the one to have. IIRC 2000 has has a similar model but don't remember if it is called sport or what.

For stock class avoid the 6 speed transmission because you end up between gears to much.

If you are looking at 99's keep in mind the thrust bearing issues. http://www.miata.net/solo/99miatathrustbearingfailure.html

mw
mw New Reader
9/9/08 2:31 p.m.

Get one with a Torsen. I wouldn't spend too much extra to get the hard suspension since you can always upgrade the stock shocks to something even better in the future.

+1 on avoid the 6 speed.

moxnix
moxnix New Reader
9/9/08 3:49 p.m.

The Hard S includes stiffer springs and bigger rear bar in addition to the shocks IIRC so I would look for it for stock class.

ACarlson
ACarlson Reader
9/9/08 5:09 p.m.

Buy mine! It's an '01 SE (came with some kinda LSD - Torsen? I'm sure some expert will chime in) with Bilsteins all around, Hawk pads, brand new Azenis... hell, the work's done for you. (Buncha other stuff, too. Email for details.) Strip/swap what you don't like, and call it a day.

Yours for $9900. I'll drive it half way if you pay for my train fare home. (I'm in St. Louis.)

akcarlson at gmail d0t c0m

TorqueNut
TorqueNut New Reader
9/9/08 10:24 p.m.

Thanks for the information. I'll patiently wait for a hard S car to appear in the local market. I've got 6 months before springs comes so I should find something.

ACarlson: thanks for the offer, but I think I'll pass at the moment.

TorqueNut
TorqueNut New Reader
9/10/08 3:23 p.m.

OK, one other question (now that I think about it). With the Hard S suspension, how tolerable is it for a daily commuter (44 miles per day freeway - good weather only)? I may want to reconsider the Hard S if 99% of my time is on the road and 1% on the course.

EvoRoadster
EvoRoadster
9/10/08 4:37 p.m.

Not a problem. The springs are slightly stiffer and the shocks are a much better fit for the car.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3N93ZX7pczoNIqbPGXJYeFmNWSmSFrb1paNMeldxvT8jjexP2A0jAwuvkVTKmoNL