pmallory
pmallory New Reader
9/21/24 10:13 p.m.

All-knowing hive mind, I have a question:

My mom lives in Georgia, I live in a different state. I'd like to buy a cheap motorcycle* to leave permanently at her house to use when I visit. How does this work from a legal perspective? Like, do I register it in GA or my home state? Is there any insurance things to consider?

I'm tempted to just get a 50cc scooter to avoid thinking about this stuff, but I kinda need to be able to go 45 mph uphill to safely exist on the road there.

* Front runner: Honda xr150l, or whatever I can find on Craiglist. I'm open to ideas here. I'd consider a Miata too ;)

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UberDork
9/22/24 8:25 a.m.

Can't speak for Georgia, Wisconsin wouldnt care you live out of state, fill out the forms using your moms address where the vehicle is kept and your address can be something totally different.  Kind of like bill to/ship to.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
9/22/24 8:26 a.m.

I'd register it (and ensure it) in your home state. I don't think it is even possible to register without Georgia residency.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/22/24 10:18 a.m.

I believe that's going to vary on a state-by-state basis.  I think you'd best call Georgia's DMV and ask.   I'm pretty sure you can't do that here in CT, but only pretty sure, I'd still call.

It could just be that it would be a REALLY dumb idea to register a vehicle in CT when you live elsewhere.. It'd be a big waste of money due to yearly property taxes.

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/22/24 12:50 p.m.

Most jurisdictions in North America have some version of if the vehicle lives here it should be registered here. In BC people long term drive on out of province plates I'm suspicious so my belief is the issue is not on the police radar, however this could put one in FAFO territory.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8x7rbYQYRKVqpY9odCZ5WcumM94COtb4IxXcV0KTQxDgJLuSanHkMyUHCng7s7wk