1 2
jrflying
jrflying New Reader
10/9/16 5:53 p.m.

Well guys, I am completely addicted to track days now. I did my second session at a company called Drivexotic today. We ran the 1.3 mile course at MSR Cresson. It costs mid $200 for 7 laps which with my lap times is about 9 min. Now I am trying to figure out is it gonna more financially smart to keep going back there or will it be better for me to buy a $3-4K car and do track days and track night in America? Help me to satisfy my addiction the smartest way possible!

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/9/16 5:55 p.m.

In reply to jrflying: that sounds like a really good deal.

Edit. I read that to mean nine minute lap x 7 chances. I guess you weren't running at the 'Ring. Good deal to do it once, for novelty.. but less so for repeated episodes. (Though still probably cheaper than tires)

oldtin
oldtin PowerDork
10/9/16 6:00 p.m.

What did you like most? The car you rented or being on track? If it's the track aspect I'd say go get a cheap old improved touring race car enjoy

jrflying
jrflying New Reader
10/9/16 6:05 p.m.

It is a really good deal and I get to drive a viper, Ferrari f430, or gallardo but I only get about 9 min of seat time when track days I would get 1 hr. I feel like I am just getting a hang of the car on the last lap. I love being on the track but mostly I want to get good on the track. I am very competitive and love the challenge of getting faster.

markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
10/9/16 6:08 p.m.

I second oldtin

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UberDork
10/9/16 6:22 p.m.

Buy a Miata. Master that.

Turbo Miata. Master that.

V8 swap Miata. Master that.

That should keep you busy for a couple years.

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
10/9/16 7:40 p.m.
KyAllroad wrote: Buy a Miata. Master that. Turbo Miata. Master that. V8 swap Miata. Master that. That should keep you busy for a couple years.

Troof.

OP, glad you enjoyed Drivexotic! I work for a company at that same track, they're good people.

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/9/16 7:45 p.m.

$200 for 7 laps does not sound like a good deal to me. Get a miata and do (4) 20 minute sessions at track day for the same price. (Plus cost of the miata)

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
10/9/16 8:00 p.m.

Even if you don't want to take the plunge of ownership, you can rent more cost-effective HPDE/TT cars than $30-per-lap exotics. Most of the same places that rent-wheel-to-wheel cars will be happy to rent to you for a non-wheel-to-wheel event at a substantially discounted rate. Maybe spend some coin in that direction before you take the leap into ownership. Consider it "research."

jrflying
jrflying New Reader
10/9/16 8:16 p.m.

I've enjoyed both times that I have been. The instructors there are great. Of course Miata is always the answer so let's say I want to go a different route. What other options should I look at? I have seen plenty of sn95 GTs for sale in the price range.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/9/16 8:28 p.m.

There are so many options. The best way to do it is to figure out what you like and then find a car like that. There are so many great options out there. From there, look at the model forums and see what comes up.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/9/16 8:43 p.m.

As JG said above, you can find much better deals than driving an exotic car at a regular track day (unless that's what you want). Depending on how many track days you do, it can be more cost effective to rent a car compared to buying, maintaining and upgrading a car of your own. You really don't want to track your only car, so you're looking at a second car already, plus setup, consumables, the inevitable upgrades and all the other little joyful expenses that suddenly make boating look like a financially sound idea.

For example, at Thunderhill I can rent a Spec Miata for ~$700/day. That includes everything other than damage to the car - tires, fuel, maintenance and if it break, you can usually just get an other car. Plus you get a car that has all the safety equipment you probably don't want to put in your street car.

Re SN95s, IIRC they make a pretty decent platform but you'll end up throwing a lot of money at the suspension and brakes before they're really properly trackable. That's why our answer is usually Miata - stick a rollbar in and some decent brake pads and you're good to do.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/9/16 9:28 p.m.

If you don't want to run a Miata, the next obvious candidate is an E36. The big advantage of that over a Miata is interior room -- much easier to fit proper safety equipment into it.

Big power cars at the track equals big money in consumables. Tires, brakes, etc. Even a high-power Miata will chew through consumables quickly.

markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
10/10/16 6:31 a.m.

You learn a lot more driving a slow car. Once ypu get a slow car to fast lap times you can step up your game. FWIW. There's an amazing amount of room in my SpecRx7

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing HalfDork
10/10/16 8:07 a.m.
markwemple wrote: You learn a lot more driving a slow car. Once ypu get a slow car to fast lap times you can step up your game. FWIW. There's an amazing amount of room in my SpecRx7

I have to absolutely second this!!! Too much power/cornering grip/braking power WILL cover up driving mistakes and allow bad car control habits to form that will prevent you from becoming a FAST DRIVER. The fastest thing in any car is the driver, not the hardware. I have see an in-car video of a Spec-Miata driver (maybe 120 hp at the wheels, tops) running down and passing a 2015 Z06 Corvette (over 500 whp) at Hallett. Slow becomes very fast with enough seat time and good coaching.

Klayfish
Klayfish UberDork
10/10/16 9:23 a.m.

Only because it's my drug of choice, I'll throw in crapcan racing. See if you can buy a ride in a crapcan race. You'll spend something like $500-$1000 for the weekend, but you'll get hours of track time, assuming the car isn't broken. You could easily get 70-100 laps over the course of the weekend for your money, and it's all the wheel to wheel action you can handle.

If you don't want to do that, then yeah, I'd either look into a cheap track specific car...they show up on CL from time to time, or rentals like others suggested.

chaparral
chaparral Dork
10/10/16 10:06 a.m.

You can rent a fast kart for $200-$400/day. That'll get you 4-6 15-minute practice sessions. Start with a Briggs, move up to a TaG later.

Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
10/10/16 12:04 p.m.
Lof8 wrote: $200 for 7 laps does not sound like a good deal to me. Get a miata and do (4) 20 minute sessions at track day for the same price. (Plus cost of the miata)

Not even that much. If I remember correctly wasn't TNiA like $120 after discounts available everywhere? (I used a Koni discount I believe.)

And I just did a PDX at Mid Ohio Friday that was $240 for SCCA member ($250 for non) and got about 1.5hrs of track time over the day.

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
10/10/16 12:52 p.m.

I think MER rents Miatas for track days, if you wanted to try something a little more "serious" racecar before you take the plunge.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
10/10/16 1:24 p.m.

http://hertzdreamcars.com/

Just make sure to get the full insurance.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/10/16 3:44 p.m.

If it floats, berks, or flys, it's always cheaper to rent, than buy.

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing HalfDork
10/11/16 1:03 p.m.

In reply to slefain:

Being a bad influence, are we?

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UberDork
10/11/16 1:22 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: If it floats, berks, or flys, it's always cheaper to rent, than buy.

QFT!

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/12/16 12:59 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: If it floats, berks, or flys, it's always cheaper to rent, than buy.

Good advice. But since a DE car does none of those, your advice is to buy?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/12/16 3:41 p.m.

It will do 2 out of the 3 if used properly.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uFnvzV6eVzm6mMYB1TZwzdngmKV91BxCTzE2rWko0J3WWFs3EGbVRRpxYRFr7Xt0