1 2 3 ... 5
BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/6/15 6:59 p.m.

Aaaaaaand go!

OK, as subject. One reason I missed several track events this year early and late in the season is that it's not a good idea to drive over the Sierra when the weather forecast is "not so great" and you only have BFG Rivals for the car. They don't work so well in snow.

This got me thinking. Get a car with possibly a hatchback that can carry a full set of tires and some tools without roof racks and similar faffing about. Actually, ideally with enough space for a roll bar and still enough space for the tires. Also, it should have a decent performance aftermarket, reasonably easy to work on and preferably RWD.

Oh, and it should also be able to double as a grocery getter if/when I empty the trunk so I can sell the CRX. It does not have to be competitive per se, but it needs to be fun drive.

I figure I can sell the MR2 for at least $6k as it sits, probably closer to $8k (or trade it for another car), and I'd like to keep the other car to that budget.

Cars that come to mind are:

• The E36 M3, just about and coupe only
  • Civic hatch (not RWD)
  • Dorifto yo, sorry, I mean AE86
  • Integra
  • Errr? RX8, maybe? Anybody know if the rear seat folds down?
ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
1/6/15 7:02 p.m.

Probably a hair over that price range - 350Z.
240SX? Could probably snag a very well modded one in that range.
Mustang?
Camaro?

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/6/15 7:04 p.m.

Throw a set of tires in the CRX...?

BoxheadTim
1/6/15 7:06 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: Throw a set of tires in the CRX...?

It's a first gen. Hard to find any decent speed parts for these days and I don't fit in it with a helmet on without driving with a gangsta lean. And I'm not ape enough to reach the steering wheel if I do that.

Other than that and being FWD, it would be perfect.

ProDarwin wrote: Probably a hair over that price range - 350Z. 240SX? Could probably snag a very well modded one in that range. Mustang? Camaro?

Can you actually get a set of four wheels with tires, a proper jack and some tools into a 350Z?

I've occasionally been eyeing Mustangs, I just don't warm that much to them. Same for the Cambirds.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
1/6/15 7:10 p.m.

Is a tire trailer an option?

BoxheadTim
1/6/15 7:13 p.m.

I'd prefer not to. I figured that if I fit everything inside the car, there is more of a chance that everything is still there the next morning. Well, if the car is still there...

A lot of the tracks "near" to here (Thunderhill and Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca) require overnight trips.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Dork
1/6/15 7:25 p.m.

Very much interested in this thread.
The miata is fine... except that I dislike 'verts, don't fit, and it's not exciting in the power department.
(yeah, I know, forced induction, not cost effective and doesn't touch the first two qualms)

E36, 240, and AE86 are the first three that come to mind.

kylini
kylini Reader
1/6/15 7:25 p.m.

FC RX7 (or any IT7-prepped race car)?

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/6/15 7:27 p.m.

Then I'd have to think hard about the Integra. Consumables should be reasonable, and a set of tires should fit in the hatch.

Or maybe a Speed 3.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
1/6/15 7:31 p.m.

Can a set of tires fit in a RX-7? I have a 91 Camaro and a spare set of wheels don't fit good unless you remove the rear seat, but that's with a set of C5 wheels. I would imagine that a Mustang would have similar problems, along with the bad rear suspension, etc. An E30 may work, too.

kylini
kylini Reader
1/6/15 7:31 p.m.
kylini wrote: FC RX7 (or any IT7-prepped race car)?

I frakin' love Iowa.

http://waterloo.craigslist.org/cto/4822627506.html

81 Mazda RX7 $2500 obo in Cedar Falls. Please call 961-9601

Has 302 cid small block Ford V8 engine. Runs and drives great. Everyday driver or hot rod for the racetrack. Car has about 87,000 miles. Engine has far less miles but not sure exactly how many. Has Posi rear end, and 4.11 gears. Almost rust free, a little rust in front of rear wheels.

Recently replaced valve gaskets, rear main seal, repaired a brake fluid leak, and some minor detail work done.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Reader
1/6/15 7:32 p.m.

Anything can be a track car, if you dare Also, sn-95.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/6/15 7:38 p.m.

Just get an e36 M3 and be done with it.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/6/15 7:38 p.m.

318ti.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Reader
1/6/15 7:42 p.m.

S-10 extreme with an SBC? It fits all the criteria, so why not? You could also get a Tiburon V6. Those things are quick, with the right set of tires.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
1/6/15 7:43 p.m.
BoxheadTim wrote: Can you actually get a set of four wheels with tires, a proper jack and some tools into a 350Z?

I've seen this guy bring his wheels/tires and swap them at the event. I was blown away that they fit.

BoxheadTim
1/6/15 7:46 p.m.

Well, I guess what I really need is one of these:

It'll be a few minutes until they're legal, though.

318ti is not a bad suggestion because it'll definitely fit into my budget with cash to spare. IT7 or similar race car means I have to tow it to the track, which tends to have its own issues in winter.

tomtomgt356
tomtomgt356 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/6/15 7:46 p.m.

The rear seat of an rx8 does not fold down but the seat bottoms are removable and you can fit a full set of tires.

BoxheadTim
1/6/15 7:47 p.m.

That's good to know. I liked the RX8 I drove last year, even though it was a shed (never encountered a car with a bent clutch pedal before).

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Reader
1/6/15 7:47 p.m.

Mercedes C230 Kompressor hatch with the 6MT.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/6/15 7:51 p.m.

Yes, a set of 245/50/16's will fit in a Camaro/Firebird. Not sure about 17's. If you're going 3rd gen (82-92) then 245/50/15 is another option.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Reader
1/6/15 7:56 p.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote: Yes, a set of 245/50/16's will fit in a Camaro/Firebird. Not sure about 17's. If you're going 3rd gen (82-92) then 245/50/15 is another option.

This. Go f-body, and you'll have money to spare.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 SuperDork
1/6/15 8:04 p.m.
BoxheadTim wrote: That's good to know. I liked the RX8 I drove last year, even though it was a shed (never encountered a car with a bent clutch pedal before).

There is a kit for that. Sheetmetal bracket mount for the brake pedal. Each pedal is separate. Mine cracked last year and found a kit that actually is stronger than original.

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
1/6/15 8:07 p.m.

I would say that if you are planning to ring its neck most of the time: RX8. The reason they fail is being nice to them, right? If I was wanting a track car, that is the droid for me. Plus it is 10 years newer than the E36 for the same moneies.

drdisque
drdisque New Reader
1/6/15 8:11 p.m.

First thing that came to mind when I read this thread title was "3rd Gen F-Body"

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HBJ5VUK3XnynX5Q91mRooe6veLaESOBdJtTcVjswdri5TCqmXO9JwfHpme1kzuPi